[SOLVED] gaming laptop fps drop

Nov 6, 2021
Hi I have a hp pavilion 15 gaming laptop ec 1052ax which has an
Processor:AMD ryzen5 4600h
GPU:Geforce 1650
Ram:-8GB,3200Mhz
256Gb SSD and 1TB HDD
I was able to play valorant with more than 100 fps but now it is limiting itself to 60-100fps(all low settings).Also I play apex legends and here the fps sometimes drops to 10 which causes game to freeze temporarily.
My CPU usage is around30%-40% usage is around 80C-100C depending on the game
My GPU goes from 60%-100% usage with temps ranging from 55C-65C
Ram usage is around 6500mb/8976mb
I use a cooling fan and also cleaned the vents recently.
No BIOS update was available and all other drivers were updated.
I used DDU and clean installed new graphic drivers.
But it is not fixed.
Pls help

Solution
Hey there,

There's possibly a couple of things going on.

Firstly, you are only running 8gbs of ram, and whilst that's not necessarily bad, it does hamper performance, and can cause FPS drops and stuttering. With only one stick of ram, you are running in single channel mode. This loses you 15-25% in gaming performance with Ryzen CPU's. With another 8gb in, you will gain dual channel performance which will give you a massive bump in FPS.

Secondly, your CPU is almost definitely thermal throttling. So once the CPU reaches a certain temp, it will dial back clockspeeds to cool down, and thus reducing CPU and GPU performance.

Additionally, it might be an idea to give your laptop a good clean. Have you done that? You might have to take of...
Hey there,

Firstly, you are only running 8gbs of ram, and whilst that's not necessarily bad, it does hamper performance, and can cause FPS drops and stuttering. With only one stick of ram, you are running in single channel mode. This loses you 15-25% in gaming performance with Ryzen CPU's. With another 8gb in, you will gain dual channel performance which will give you a massive bump in FPS.

Secondly, your CPU is almost definitely thermal throttling. So once the CPU reaches a certain temp, it will dial back clockspeeds to cool down, and thus reducing CPU and GPU performance.

Additionally, it might be an idea to give your laptop a good clean. Have you done that? You might have to take of the bottom of the chassis, and use a can of compressed air to clean out any dirt/grit/dust from the fans as this can also contribute to your CPU overheating.

There are some other things which you can do to help.
  1. Use a laptop cooling pad to help with airflow into your laptop intakes, and will help to keep cooler - Cooler means higher clockspeeds, which means higher GPU performance.
  2. If you have had your laptop for over a year, and it's out of warranty, now is a good time to consider replacing the thermal paste on both CPU and GPU. This can reduce your CPU/GPU temps substantially, and again, allow for higher performance.

All together these steps can keep your lappie running cooler, for longer, and with higher sustained performance.

Solution
Nov 6, 2021
Hey there,

Additionally, it might be an idea to give your laptop a good clean. Have you done that? You might have to take of the bottom of the chassis, and use a can of compressed air to clean out any dirt/grit/dust from the fans as this can also contribute to your CPU overheating.

1. Use a laptop cooling pad to help with airflow into your laptop intakes, and will help to keep cooler - Cooler means higher clockspeeds, which means higher GPU performance.
  2. If you have had your laptop for over a year, and it's out of warranty, now is a good time to consider replacing the thermal paste on both CPU and GPU. This can reduce your CPU/GPU temps substantially, and again, allow for higher performance.
All together these steps can keep your lappie running cooler, for longer, and with higher sustained performance.
I cleaned laptop recently.Also I read that for this processor reaching 90C is normal.I am already using a cooling fan .I don't know what to do. Please help.

Nov 6, 2021
Hey there,

Thank you for suggesting to uprage ram.gameplay is now a lot better but my cpu which stays at 90C now crossing 100C repeatedly but that's for another thread