[SOLVED] Gaming laptop random crashes/reboot for 2 months, help :(

Feb 25, 2020
Hello !

I'm at my wits end with this problem and after trying multiple things, scans, repairs, etc and still having crash/reboot so i'm trying my luck here. English is not my first language so sorry if this post is a bit wonky !

I've started having random crashes without any warning (just straight up shut down) and reboot right after. Sometimes it crashes again and reboot while i'm trying to enter my password and sometimes it let me enter the computer and use it for a certain amount of time. It started around the 26th of december. Here's some specs :

CPU : Inter(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.2FHz 2.21 GHz
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
RAM installed : 16 Go

Computer is a Strix from Asus.

I'm not tech savy at all so I asked my dad to look into it more. He did multiple scans, disk checks, malware checks (I have malware bytes pro and avast pro). We only found some corrupt files that were repaired. All drivers are up to date.

The computer has crashed more often while doing mundane things : watching youtube, typing in word, etc. My computer is a year and a half old. It crashed for a week in december and then worked for a month, crashed once in january and worked fine for a month and then it crashed a couple of time this weekend. I haven't used it since and i'm doing my school work on my tablet. It always crash at my parent's houses but never at my appartement which I find it strange...

I've monitored the CPU/GPU temp and it doesn't seem to be a overheating issue as it crash even in idle temp (40 C).

The other things I thought it could be was the power supply. I never had problem with it before but at this point i'm ready to try anything. My two last resort would be to reset completely my computer and reinstall everything or send it to tech support.

If someone has an idea it would be very appreciated ! If you need more informations don't hesitate to ask :)

Thanks

Solution
Hey there,

On desktop PC's, often random restarts like that point to the PSU. In this case it could be the power brick for the laptop. It might be worth replacing the power cord, and/or the power adaptor. Depending on the laptop you may be able to get a suitable replacement cheap enough. If needed, you might have to get one from the manufacturer. Is the laptop still under warranty? If so, i'd call them and get them to send a new one.

However, even if the adaptor was failing, you would expect the laptop to switch to battery power to avoid shutdown. That could potentially mean an internal hardware issue (maybe mobo) or bad connector where you plug the power lead into the laptop.
Hey there,

On desktop PC's, often random restarts like that point to the PSU. In this case it could be the power brick for the laptop. It might be worth replacing the power cord, and/or the power adaptor. Depending on the laptop you may be able to get a suitable replacement cheap enough. If needed, you might have to get one from the manufacturer. Is the laptop still under warranty? If so, i'd call them and get them to send a new one.

However, even if the adaptor was failing, you would expect the laptop to switch to battery power to avoid shutdown. That could potentially mean an internal hardware issue (maybe mobo) or bad connector where you plug the power lead into the laptop.

Reactions: Oussebon
Solution

pug_s

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Yes, if your computer is still under warranty you can try to contact Asus about it. I would think one of the memory stick is going wonky. I would boot up and do as you do with only one stick of memory to see if that's the culprit.

Reactions: Oussebon
Feb 25, 2020
Hey there,

Thanks for the quick answer ! I'll try to switch the PSU to see if the problem goes away, it's gonna be hard to see because my computer crashes so randomly that I could have to wait for 3-4 months but well I don't really have a choice. I just think it's weird that it only crashes at my parent's place and never at mine. Do you think I should send it to a reparator or something?

Feb 25, 2020
Yes, if your computer is still under warranty you can try to contact Asus about it. I would think one of the memory stick is going wonky. I would boot up and do as you do with only one stick of memory to see if that's the culprit.

Hi, thanks for the answer ! I'm really not good with computer so i've been looking up on google for memory sticks but it only gives me USB memory sticks. If that's not too much to ask of you, could you point me out to where do I need to remove memory sticks ?

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Depending on the model of the laptop, there may be an opening on the underside you can remove to get at the RAM sticks, or you may need to remove the whole bottom panel. Either way, it's usually little more complicated than just removing some screws.

If you do this, make sure to have a large and clear work area, and lay out the screws in an orderly way so you know which goes back where. A lot of the screws may be the same, but best to do that in case a few are different :)

+1 to the suggestion of investigating the warranty asap.

Feb 25, 2020
Depending on the model of the laptop, there may be an opening on the underside you can remove to get at the RAM sticks, or you may need to remove the whole bottom panel. Either way, it's usually little more complicated than just removing some screws.

If you do this, make sure to have a large and clear work area, and lay out the screws in an orderly way so you know which goes back where. A lot of the screws may be the same, but best to do that in case a few are different :)

+1 to the suggestion of investigating the warranty asap.

Yeah, i'll do that during my spring break :(
I tried to open it today just to do a memory check and it just shut down in the middle of the test. No rebooting or anything. Nothing in the event viewer either (habitually I have critical kernell power something).

It's really weird.

Sep 16, 2020
Yeah, i'll do that during my spring break :(
I tried to open it today just to do a memory check and it just shut down in the middle of the test. No rebooting or anything. Nothing in the event viewer either (habitually I have critical kernell power something).

It's really weird.
Hello, Did you find a fix for your problem?

I'm facing the same issue although on a different gaming laptop model.