Question Gaming network card for fiber

• Thread starter Deleted member 2942093
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2942093

I recently upgraded to fiber internet currently running at one hundred m b p s but I think I want to upgrade to the gigabyte plan.

I would like to spend extra money on putting a network card built for gaming On a fiber connection.

Can someone recommend me a good network card for this?

Why are players that play shooters so silly. A 100mbps internet connection will be the same as 1gbit internet connection. The 1gbit plan will just let you download games faster.

The signal does not travel faster in the wire or fiber based on the speed you run. That is some fixed percentage of the speed of light.

A online game only uses about 1mbps of bandwidth. Having more than that will not make the game run faster or smoother.

D

Deleted member 2942093

Why are players that play shooters so silly. A 100mbps internet connection will be the same as 1gbit internet connection. The 1gbit plan will just let you download games faster.

The signal does not travel faster in the wire or fiber based on the speed you run. That is some fixed percentage of the speed of light.

A online game only uses about 1mbps of bandwidth. Having more than that will not make the game run faster or smoother.
Fiber gives better routing and ping and I can definitely tell a difference with smoothness of the game from a typical cable connection to fiber. Am I delusional

In most case I would say it is all in your mind. But many first person shooter guys think they were born on krypton and better eyes and reflexes than all the other measly humans.

Going from say cable to fiber might cut your latency 5-10ms but that doesn't matter since games are designed to not give someone who has lower latency a advantage. If you dropped it 100ms then it would make a difference.

Going from 1 fiber plan to another fiber plan will be identical. The data rate limitation is artificial. The data between your house and the ISP router is always at the very maximum rate. Most systems use GPON which runs at 2.5gbit. So no matter what plan you pick you data always leaves your house at 2.5gbit.
If you were to download large files the ISP will cap your rate at 100mbps BUT the data still transfers at 2.5gbit. What you see is a average rate.

If we take the case of say ethernet which also always runs at 1gbit as a example. Lets say you put a QoS limit in your router of 100mbps. As a example your pc would transfer data at 1gbit for 1 second and then do nothing for 9 seconds. It would get a average rate of 100mbps. You get the same average if you were to transmit data for 1/10 of a second at 1gbit and then do nothing for 9/10 of a second it is still a average rate of 100mbps.

So it doesn't matter which plan you pick it is a artificial limitation your data is actually running at 2.5g or whatever fiber standard your ISP is using.

D

Deleted member 2942093

In most case I would say it is all in your mind. But many first person shooter guys think they were born on krypton and better eyes and reflexes than all the other measly humans.

Going from say cable to fiber might cut your latency 5-10ms but that doesn't matter since games are designed to not give someone who has lower latency a advantage. If you dropped it 100ms then it would make a difference.

Going from 1 fiber plan to another fiber plan will be identical. The data rate limitation is artificial. The data between your house and the ISP router is always at the very maximum rate. Most systems use GPON which runs at 2.5gbit. So no matter what plan you pick you data always leaves your house at 2.5gbit.
If you were to download large files the ISP will cap your rate at 100mbps BUT the data still transfers at 2.5gbit. What you see is a average rate.

If we take the case of say ethernet which also always runs at 1gbit as a example. Lets say you put a QoS limit in your router of 100mbps. As a example your pc would transfer data at 1gbit for 1 second and then do nothing for 9 seconds. It would get a average rate of 100mbps. You get the same average if you were to transmit data for 1/10 of a second at 1gbit and then do nothing for 9/10 of a second it is still a average rate of 100mbps.

So it doesn't matter which plan you pick it is a artificial limitation your data is actually running at 2.5g or whatever fiber standard your ISP is using.
So aside from lower ping there is no difference on smoothness of a game from fiber to cable?

What is smoothness ?
What games care about most is consistent latency....ie jitter. The jitter on fiber and cable about is the same. You only are running on coax cable maybe at most a mile or so until you get to the cabinet in your neighborhood. It is then converted to fiber to connect back to the ISP offices.

Its not like you have a dedicated fiber to your house. Very much like coax cable you share the actual fiber strand with a bunch of your neighbors. Fiber uses a protocol called GPON and coax uses DOCSIS but they are very very similar in function.

Now there are difference between ISP and how they connect to other ISP and game centers. There maybe delays or issues in the path but this has nothing to do with how it is delivered to your house.

Again bandwidth means nothing for games. Small differences in latency will not make any detectable difference. What is important is jitter. Games use the latency to predict what the future server game status will between the time the data is sent and the time your machine receives it.
They are pretty good with this . What causes problem is if the latency say goes from 80ms to 150ms or more. The predictions the server made are now invalid and the client and the server get out of sync and you get lag in the game when it corrects.
BUT in most cases you can do nothing about jitter since it is outside your house and can occur on both fiber and coax. This is the key reason you are not suppose to play online games on wifi. The latency on wifi is very unstable.

1gig will allow you to download game updates faster. So it is nice, but unless you have someone else in the house downloading game updates at the same time you're playing, you won't notice a difference in gameplay ping.

If you do have other people in the house, 100mbps is easy to saturate with a game update. So I would consider 1gig for those times.