Gaming PC $1200 Budget, 1st build Advice Needed~Texas.

7WG

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Hello, this is my first time building a PC. Any comments or tips will be greatly appreciated.

I currently own a laptop ACER Aspire but i recently decided i needed a desktop that i could use for gaming and video editing software.

Things I'm not sure about are the Video Card, CPU FAN, the case, the motherboard... mostly everything i just want to make sure I'm buying something that will work properly.

I still need to buy a monitor but I'm not to sure on what monitor to buy, is ok if is a cheap monitor for the moment maybe in a month or 2 I can upgrade it to something better... also will the Video Card support 2 monitors?

Thank you in advance for any help or tips on how to improve this Build.

Approximate Purchase Date: next week

Budget Range: $1200

Gaming PC

Buying a Monitor need advice on what monitor to buy

CAS:Corsair Carbide Series 400R Mid-Tower Gaming Case

CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU:Intel® Core™ i5-3570K 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) ___OR___ Intel® Core™ i5-3570 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155

CS_FAN:Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case

CPU FAN:Thermaltake Frio OCK CPU Cooler (Designed for Over-Clocker King)(CLP0575) ___OR___ Intel Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink

HDD:1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

IUSB:Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

MEMORY:8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCie x1 & 2 PCI (Extreme OC Certified)

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OVERCLOCK:No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY:650 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

VIDEO:AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+208] (Major Brand Powered by AMD) ___OR___ AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

PRICE:$1000-$1100 "the other $100 are for a monitor"

Heap

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
If you're not an overclocking drop the K sku processor and aftermarket cpu cooler and invest in a 256 gb SDD. You'll get a ton more performance with no potential loss in performance based on your original hardware and plan. If you want future flexibility get the K sku processor but wait on the aftermarket cooler until you're ready to OC.

Trust me, you want an SSD and don't go small, 256 gb is the right size and they've been on smokin' sale lately!

Otherwise, your hardware should be fine! :) Good luck and enjoy!!!

PS: The best bang for your buck with Monitors would be a 24" 1080P. I have an Asus that I really like, I would suggest IPS. If you're going to go two screens do it now, it's always tough to find an exact match for your monitor, the technology and models change pretty quickly. Lastly a 7850 will be able to push two monitors but only at low resolutions for gaming. I'd suggest sticking with 1080P for gaming with this card... Having a second screen for productivity apps however is always nice and you always have the ability to upgrade that graphics card in the future to push real high def multi-monitor gaming.

7WG

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Thank You for the advice.

I don't really plan to overclock.
I will be playing games and using editing software would you recommend Intel Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink instead of the aftermarket CPU fan?
also at the moment i don't think i can afford a SSD. Would i be able to install that myself maybe in a month or 2 when i buy it?

Heap

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Sure the intel fan should be fine, I can't remember if that CPU comes with an intel model or not however... A 256 gb SSD can be picked up cheap these days:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148443

If you avoid the cost of the cooler and leverage the remainder of your $1200 budget you can get there. An SSD is something you want your OS running on so if you add one later it's a reinstall of everything to make it clean. You're better off not copying over your existing drive, things run better on a fresh install on the SSD.

If you watch the sales, for instance the daily deals here or check newegg daily you'll find a great price on a SSD within a week.

7WG

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

Ok i have decided to go with the

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3570 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
CPU Fan: Intel Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

and the SSD i will buy it in a month or so and do what you told me.

Right now I'm at $1060 and i have $140 left for a monitor.