Gaming pc, ~$1300 budget, first time builder

Manzul

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: At the latest end of august.

BUDGET RANGE: Max 10,000SEK ~ 1300$, preferably around 1000$.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (all kinds of games), watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, OS, optical drive

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.komplett.se (I'm not sure this is the best site but it is the best I know here. If any of you know a better site for someone in Sweden, including international sites, feel free to let me know :) )

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Sweden.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preferences.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Most likely not.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: My current monitor has a max setting of 1400x1050 but I would like to build the pc to be able to handle higher, in case I'll upgrade.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
The pc will mostly be used for gaming so that has top priority. My guess is that I'll be using the pc for 5+ years, most likely not upgrading unless something drastic happens.
Here are the parts I'm considering so far (I've chosen mostly from the recommended parts in that guide :p );

CPU:
Intel Core i5 750
1899:- (~ $260)
It seems to be the best choice for my price range. Nice reviews and results in tests.

GPU:
XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5
2.799:- (~ $384)
Same as above. Also there seems to be an offer on it now so it seems like it would be a good choice.

RAM:
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 1333MHz 4GB CL7
1265:- (~ $173)
I don't think I will need more than 4GB RAM and this looks like a fast one.

PSU:
Cooler Master GX - 650W
799:- (~ $109)
Now on this one I'm pretty clueless. I was thinking a 650W in case I would like to upgrade/add another graphics card, but I'm not really sure if maybe a 550W or so of higher quality would be better choice. This PSU looked pretty decent too.

Motherboard:
Absolutely no clue here :p

HDD:
Not sure what kind is good. A 500GB would be enough for me. Or actually I don't really need that much space so if it's possible to get a noticably faster one with a bit less space, that is fine too. I'm not really knowledgeable :p

Case:
Unless you find something extremely worthwile, ignore this for now. Going to look into cases at local stores to see if maybe I will save on shipping.

Total so far: 6762:- (~ $932)

Thank you in advance for help :)

A few things u should know about SATA/USB 3.0 tech and mobos as shown by our very own forums here
USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Motherboards, And Overcoming Bottlenecks
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,2583.html
Also note that LGA 1156 shall be usurped by LGA 1155 as soon as end of this year/possible Q1 next year if u intending to sink a wee bit on chip + board FYI...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/21/intel-sandy-bridge-details-of-the-next-gen/

That said at just 1680 x 1050 i would hit either 768mb GTX 460 or HD 5830 , and stick to single GPU solutions all the way ^^ Also since u in Europe have a look at Be Quiet PSUs

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
If yopu can, get a Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gb HDD. It is one of the best around and well priced.

For GPU I would probably go with a GTX460 due to your low resolution. Spend extra to get teh 1gb version if you like, the good thing about this card is it will do fine at your current reso and if you upgrade your monitor it Overclocks incredibly well to handle 1920 x 1080 while being cheaper

Manzul

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

Jokerstyle

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
A friend got this and seems pleased with the purchase, I don't know if it would be a good choice for your particular situation, but I can vouch for the mobo itself (-isch)