[SOLVED] Gaming PC Compatibility Check

Jun 25, 2021
Hey everyone, question for you - I'm building a gaming PC and have chosen the below parts. Would you be able to make sure they are all compatible with each other? I'm fairly new at this, so any other suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated, whether you think something is overkill, or have different recommendations that may work better or make more sense together etc... I had the most trouble with selecting the motherboard for whatever reason. I'm trying to build a fairly high-end gaming PC that's somewhat future-proof, but not going absolutely crazy on price.

Parts:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio 10G
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz)
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Motherboard: ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero
Power Supply Unit: Corsair RM750x (750W)
PC Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX

Thanks everyone, I appreciate you all!

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
At 1440p, there is virtually no difference between 5600x and 5900x
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnki5_-LdrM

This is a system for 1440p or 4k resolution, right? For 1080p you can get away with a lot cheaper system.

Whats the price difference between the CPUs? 200-300 dollars? If you don't do anything else than game (no professional work that benefits from cores), save the money. Put it on something else. Like a nice monitor.

The motherboard is mainly for extreme overclockers in my mind. Liquid nitrogen and the like. Not much benefit to a normal user, you can save 250-300 dollars there on some other mobo. The difference between B550 and X570 is quite small. I can't remember of the top of my head but a quick glance tells me: 6 SATA ports instead of 8 (are you running a NAS inside this box?), 2 times PCI-Ex16 instead of 3. SLI and Crossfire is dead, does it matter? VRM should be next to if not identical on B550 and X570. You end up paying more for features you will never use.

The RAM, what are the timings? I would go for something like 3600 Mhz CL16. 16-18-18-38. It might cost 30 dollars more than the Corsair, if it's CL18. Personally, I think it's worth it but up to you. Something similar to this: https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164206

In terms of future-proofing, I want to say there is no such thing. There wont be an upgrade path, not on AMD or Intel. In 3 years time (the future), DDR5 and PCI-E gen 5 will be the standard, the minimum. Nothing today supports either. So you will have to replace CPU, motherboard and RAM.
GPUs will probably be twice as good as current ones. Time for a new GPU too most likely.
But enjoy your system while it lasts. It's all we can do.

Last edited:
Reactions: kpdanie17
Jun 25, 2021
At 1440p, there is virtually no difference between 5600x and 5900x
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnki5_-LdrM

This is a system for 1440p or 4k resolution, right? For 1080p you can get away with a lot cheaper system.

Whats the price difference between the CPUs? 200-300 dollars? If you don't do anything else than game (no professional work that benefits from cores), save the money. Put it on something else. Like a nice monitor.

The motherboard is mainly for extreme overclockers in my mind. Liquid nitrogen and the like. Not much benefit to a normal user, you can save 250-300 dollars there on some other mobo. The difference between B550 and X570 is quite small. I can't remember of the top of my head but a quick glance tells me: 6 SATA ports instead of 8 (are you running a NAS inside this box?), 2 times PCI-Ex16 instead of 3. SLI and Crossfire is dead, does it matter? VRM should be next to if not identical on B550 and X570. You end up paying more for features you will never use.

The RAM, what are the timings? I would go for something like 3600 Mhz CL16. 16-18-18-38. It might cost 30 dollars more than the Corsair, if it's CL18. Personally, I think it's worth it but up to you. Something similar to this: https://www.newegg.com/ballistix-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164206

In terms of future-proofing, I want to say there is no such thing. There wont be an upgrade path, not on AMD or Intel. In 3 years time (the future), DDR5 and PCI-E gen 5 will be the standard, the minimum. Nothing today supports either. So you will have to replace CPU, motherboard and RAM.
GPUs will probably be twice as good as current ones. Time for a new GPU too most likely.
But enjoy your system while it lasts. It's all we can do.

This is great stuff, thanks for typing this up. Definitely gonna take your advice on a few of your points. Thank you my man!

larsv8

Distinguished
Start with your goals and budget. If you dont have a high end monitor, let's work that in and build a best bang for your buck system that can max the monitor. Monitors are the real bottleneck that no one ever talks about.

There are a few things to know before we pick parts.

Are you an old school hyper competitive FPS player, in that case a 1080p 300+ refresh rate system is the way to go.

Are you an RPGer who doesn't need fantastic frame rates, but enjoys super accurate colors and high resolution? A 4k ultrawide might be for you.

Want a nice balance? 1440p, IPS, 144 frames is a good compromise.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021
Start with your goals and budget. If you dont have a high end monitor, let's work that in and build a best bang for your buck system that can max the monitor. Monitors are the real bottleneck that no one ever talks about.

There are a few things to know before we pick parts.

Are you an old school hyper competitive FPS player, in that case a 1080p 300+ refresh rate system is the way to go.

Are you an RPGer who doesn't need fantastic frame rates, but enjoys super accurate colors and high resolution? A 4k ultrawide might be for you.

Want a nice balance? 1440p, IPS, 144 frames is a good compromise.

I'd definitely say I'm #2, but I've got a bit of #1 in me as well.

larsv8

Distinguished
Assuming you are in the US, I have got you down for $1,760 w/o a GPU from the build you suggested, so I am going to assume that is a reasonable budget for you..

Gonna set GPU aside for a second since GPUS are impossible to find and a 3080 works for both builds.

How about something like this?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($143.53 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 LC32G75TQSNXZA 31.5" 2560x1440 240 Hz Monitor ($699.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1656.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-28 03:19 EDT-0400

CPU - significantly cheaper, but still robust.
Mobo - significantly cheaper, but does everything you need it too
Memory - 16 is fine for gaming, you wouldn't need 32 unless you are doing productivity stuff. Money saved.
Storage - People generally combo an SSD with an HD to reap the speed and budget benefits of both.
Case - Went with my favorite case, at half the cost, and just as good air flow
PSU - The 850 is somehow 10 dollars cheaper than the 750.

With all the savings, I was able to add a great monitor which can take advantage of the hardware, and this is still $100 under your original projected spend. You could even bump up to a 5800x, if you wanted too,

Don't just take my word for it. I bet some other folks can come up with a good intel based system as well.

Reactions: kpdanie17
Jun 25, 2021
Assuming you are in the US, I have got you down for $1,760 w/o a GPU from the build you suggested, so I am going to assume that is a reasonable budget for you..

Gonna set GPU aside for a second since GPUS are impossible to find and a 3080 works for both builds.

How about something like this?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($143.53 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 LC32G75TQSNXZA 31.5" 2560x1440 240 Hz Monitor ($699.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1656.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-06-28 03:19 EDT-0400

CPU - significantly cheaper, but still robust.
Mobo - significantly cheaper, but does everything you need it too
Memory - 16 is fine for gaming, you wouldn't need 32 unless you are doing productivity stuff. Money saved.
Storage - People generally combo an SSD with an HD to reap the speed and budget benefits of both.
Case - Went with my favorite case, at half the cost, and just as good air flow
PSU - The 850 is somehow 10 dollars cheaper than the 750.

With all the savings, I was able to add a great monitor which can take advantage of the hardware, and this is still $100 under your original projected spend. You could even bump up to a 5800x, if you wanted too,

Don't just take my word for it. I bet some other folks can come up with a good intel based system as well.

Dude this is great, thank you so much. Now something I failed to mention, I would like to stream in addition to gaming. Video editing and production may come later down the road and that can be saved for next time I upgrade, but for now I would like to do some streaming along with the gaming. That being said, would you change anything on your list? Ideally I'm probably trying to stay between $2,000-$2,500 including a GPU and monitor, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I went over.

bignastyid

Titan
Dude this is great, thank you so much. Now something I failed to mention, I would like to stream in addition to gaming. Video editing and production may come later down the road and that can be saved for next time I upgrade, but for now I would like to do some streaming along with the gaming. That being said, would you change anything on your list? Ideally I'm probably trying to stay between $2,000-$2,500 including a GPU and monitor, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I went over.
For that stick with the original 5900x and 32gb of ram.