[SOLVED] Gaming PC runs games slowly

Jul 9, 2019
Hey everyone,

I've been having a major problem with my PC. It can't run games as fast as it should.

Full story:
When I got the PC, it was blazing fast. Every single game ran as it should on 150fps or higher, and the PC had no issues at all.

About 4 months ago, it started for some reason to slow down in game performance by a margin. Everything else was fine, it was just games that ran slow. I didn't really care THAT much at the time, and thought nothing else of it.

About a month ago, my SSD died on me (which is quite annoying) and I had to buy a new one, and reinstall Windows and all the necessary programs, and unfortunately the game lag has stuck with me.

What can I do in order to fix this issue?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/18258439
Cinebench R20 gets me 10th place. Around 1670

Solution
Download the latest graphics driver from Nvidia, but DO NOT install it yet.
Next, download and run DDU in safe mode: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
After DDU has uninstalled the old drivers, leave networking off - or just disconnect your ethernet or wireless - it's to stop Windows from installing a default driver.
Now, while you're not connected to the internet, go ahead and install the Nvidia driver package you downloaded earlier. Let me know if that works.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The result in your link shows high background usage at 27%(it skews the end result).
1)Did you buy this new, or used?
Open task manager and see what programs are eating up resources.
2)Do you have up to date antivirus and antimalware?
3)What are your cpu and gpu temps while playing?

Jul 9, 2019
New (Custom built by a tech shop)
The Task Manager thing is irrelevant, there are always gonna be some CPU hogging apps. (imo)

Malwarebytes premium

not sure atm.. how do I check?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
New (Custom built by a tech shop)
The Task Manager thing is irrelevant, there are always gonna be some CPU hogging apps. (imo)

Malwarebytes premium

not sure atm.. how do I check?
Yes, you're right. There will always be some. But you had 27% - again, that's high - you want to have as few apps as possible running when doing benchmarks, as they will reduce accuracy.

Go ahead and run a scan if you haven't already.

You can use HWINFO or Msi Afterburner to monitor temps.
Also, I forgot to ask, but what's the make and model of the power supply? I need a name and model number, as just saying '500w psu' doesn't really tell me anything.

Jul 9, 2019
PSU: CoolerMaster B700 Ver.2

Temps for CPU:
Idle: Jumps between 38C and 45C
Gaming: (Minecraft) 52C and 56C (34 fps)
Overwatch: 58C to 60C with unplayable FPS (about 13)
Voltage: about 1.14

I think my GPU is either not used, or something's wrong.
Temps for the GPU is 47C idle, and about 54C gaming, goes up to 60C.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Download the latest graphics driver from Nvidia, but DO NOT install it yet.
Next, download and run DDU in safe mode: https://www.wagnardsoft.com/
After DDU has uninstalled the old drivers, leave networking off - or just disconnect your ethernet or wireless - it's to stop Windows from installing a default driver.
Now, while you're not connected to the internet, go ahead and install the Nvidia driver package you downloaded earlier. Let me know if that works.

Solution
After you replaced your defective ssd and reinstalled the operating system:
  1. Did you check device manager for missing device drivers?
  2. Did you run windows updates from the settings gear icon to ensure your build is fully patched?
What graphics driver version is your card on?
What Windows 10 Build are you currently running?

List your full hardware specifications.

Jul 9, 2019
@Phaaze88 I'll try that soon thank you!

@SgtScream Nothing's missing at the moment, at least from my prespective. 2. Yes, the build is fully patched.
Graphics driver I think it's the 431.36 according to Nvidia GeForce Experience.
Lastly, my Windows build is 1903.

EDIT: Hardware specs in the UserBenchmark above

Jul 9, 2019
Hi all,

This is my second thread on my issue.
Tl;dr, the fix was uninstalling the graphics driver with DDU, and reinstalling it.

It fixes the issue, yes. But only for so long. I need to do it every week! That's outrageous!

Why do I need to uninstall and reinstall my graphics driver every week in order to make sure the computer runs games well?

Previous thread: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gaming-pc-runs-games-slowly.3498428/#post-21145328

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2019
"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

I'll report back after one week. Or when it stops working. Or when I go to my vacation in about 4 days.

Jul 9, 2019
Hi, the method you've suggested unfortunately does not work. Sorry for the late reply, just didn't have much time while on vacation.

In addition, while usually DDU'ing the system might temporarily solve the issue, now it just won't.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's still the matter of the single stick of ram. This also affects the cpu's performance.
It's not ideal for many games. 2 sticks running in dual channel mode is best.
Now, how you want to go about it...
-Buy a 2x 8GB kit to replace the single stick you already have(recommended)
OR
-Buy and add a 2nd stick alongside the one you already have(not recommended)
Ram is only guaranteed to work in the form sold. Even 2 separate sticks of the same brand and specs can still fail - it's simply the combination with the highest compatibility rate.