[SOLVED] Gaming related: High-end rig does not pull it weight, and the problem might be CPU-related.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 27, 2019
Hello everyone.

Long read ahead, but I appreciate your help - A lot!
I would really need your help, as I have been googling, asking and watching a lot of solutions and nothing seems to fix my issue, including the friend of mine who built my pc for me.
Please mind, that the post will relate to gaming. I will write benchmarks so people with no knowledge in these games can see how much I underperform.

I will split the post in the following sections:
1: My specs
2: My problems
3: The benchmarks
4: What I have been trying to do
5: Things I have considered or thought about

1: Specs
My specs are as follows:
GeForce MSI RTX2070
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x Eight-CRTe Processor, 16 CPU 3.7 gHz
CORSAIR 16GB RAMKit 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHz 2x288Dimm 16gb ram (Some high speed ones)
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK Mainboard Sockel AM4
SSD 1024GB Samsung 860 Evo SATA/M.2
CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x (80+ Gold)

PC is built by myself and a friend of mine. On desktop.

2+3: Problems and benchmarks
I have noticed that my computer severely underperforms in my competitive games. It might even underperform in high-end games, but I have no way of benchmarking. I simply assume so, based on the following experiences.
Do not judge - I play more than just these :D - But CS:GO and League of Legends are games in particular where this damage is heavy.

I play CS:GO/LoL in "Competitive" settings. This means all settings mostly low, native resolutions and some autoconfigs to maximize power.
I sometimes dip below the dangerzone of 144fps (My native refresh rate), and rarely 100 mark. The average seems, according to a FPS benchmark, to be 222 fps.
(Is more required for 144hz? A long discussion - Keep on topic regarding this, as it is a competitive setting, and higher framerate than refresh-rate does feel smoother =
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWSRTYV8e0
)

My friend with a 1080 gfx and a AMD Ryzen 1600 runs this same benchmark at +300 fps. My old rig with a MSI 970 and i5-4690 ran it at 240. Only difference are resolutions as I run native 1080p and he runs 840.
But my dips in the game are what worries me. He never dips, however I do. With a far more superior CPU in a CPU intensive game, this shouldn't be the case, right?
(For the interested, my autoexec for CS:GO are as follows: -novid -high -tickrate 128 -threads 16 -console -mat_queue_mode "2")

Similarely, I just came from a game of League of Legends, playing in native resolution at low-medium settings. Mind you, with a MSI 2070 and AMD Ryzen 2700x, floating at an average 120fps. Dipped below a worrying 80 during a teamfight.
My friend on a Macbook, allthough all settings at low (Almost like me..!), ran at an average of 140 fps.

This is the point where I decided that something was absolutely wrong. And where I hope you can help..

4: What I have tried
I do not know for sure yet what causes these issues, but it looks more like a CPU-issue rather than my RTX.

• I have updated my graphics driver in Geforce Experience from when I installed my RTX 2070 over the previous GTX 970 (More on that in chapter 5).
  • I have ran several autoexec's to and seen guides on how to "maximize" effort during loads, but most of them are already active.
  • I have talked with my friend who built 90% of the PC, who believes it is a possible software issue, maybe that my CPU won't work at full load.
  • I have tried running AMD-apps such as system monitor and overdrive. The overdrive-app actually gives me a blue screen with the sad smiley on every boot, so I have not tried it yet.

- I have NOT measured temps through an app. However, during CS:GO and LoL my pc is almost STONE COLD. In more intensive games such as Killing Floor 2, Squad and Arma 3, it gets hot - As it should during those loads.

5: Things I have considered or thought about
  • My friend mentioned that when you go from GTX to RTX, there are sometimes issues with drivers.
  • I fear that I have installed my CPU incorrectly. MY friend claims it wouldn't boot otherwise and that I shouldn't worry.
  • I have, as mentioned, not measured data, since the app wasn't working.
  • That my CPU wont overload to compensate for lifespan (However this contradicts why it gets hot during those other games - But maybe that was the GPU getting hot?)
  • That my GPU is pushing the CPU, or in general, the system into "idle" mode, albeit it is too strong. As in: Run all settings on low can impact perfomance, due to GPU idling, rather than running it on high.
Here is a picture of my PC's CPU perfomance in CS:GO after the "Benchmarking". Please note how it is not even hitting 70%. The Graphics card is down at <10% load. View: https://imgur.com/a/gegUp8g

This is all I have for now. Please note, I am not super great with hardware nor the software to support said hardware.
I sincerely hope you might be able to solute this problem for me.

Any spelling mistakes or errors, sorry, I am no native speaker of english.
Best wishes - Drevsvy

Solution
My friend mentioned that when you go from GTX to RTX, there are sometimes issues with drivers.

True. Try a clean install.

I fear that I have installed my CPU incorrectly. MY friend claims it wouldn't boot otherwise and that I shouldn't worry.

False. There are plenty of incorrectly installed CPUs that have resulted in bent pins on the CPU (AMD) or motherboard (Intel) that can POST and boot just fine, but have any of a variety of problems ranging from minor to can't POST at all, and anything in between. When in doubt, remove the cooler and CPU and check for bent pins. Obviously, that will require cleaning and...
Jun 27, 2019
As was mentioned to me, which I didn't even notice until they pointed it out, the fact that you had DSR enabled was probably the biggest problem out of all that was listed.

To be fair, enabling XMP did the most initially. Afterall, a 2070 is capable of 4k gaming. So I am quite surprised how well it did in some games when CPU wasn't bottlenecking.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To be fair, ppl are sheep. 1 bad mouthful of grass gets around to the whole flock in seconds. Which gets massively exaggerated until the whole pasture is affected.

The 2070 can handle 4k. For some games it'll do it easily, for many games. There's just a couple of games it really struggles with, which being sheep, affects all games. And being sheep, naturally they assume that anything that won't put out ultra settings at record setting fps is a mouthful of bad grass. Not realizing that 4k monitors are 60Hz, and they not only cannot see more than that, but physically they are unable to tell the difference between 100fps and anything higher.

Sheep tend to not have any basis in reality.

x5tavl.jpg

Jun 27, 2019
To be fair, ppl are sheep. 1 bad mouthful of grass gets around to the whole flock in seconds. Which gets massively exaggerated until the whole pasture is affected.

The 2070 can handle 4k. For some games it'll do it easily, for many games. There's just a couple of games it really struggles with, which being sheep, affects all games. And being sheep, naturally they assume that anything that won't put out ultra settings at record setting fps is a mouthful of bad grass. Not realizing that 4k monitors are 60Hz, and they not only cannot see more than that, but physically they are unable to tell the difference between 100fps and anything higher.

Sheep tend to not have any basis in reality.

What are you implying...?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For instance, AIO's. If you look around the forums, any of the commonly used websites, there's always a ton of ppl who will happily chip in and claim not to use AIO's as a cpu cooler. They are loud and they leak and are more expensive than aircoolers. Only partly true. Ish. You'll also find that 99% of those unbelievers have never used an AIO, everything they spout is word of mouth from other unbelievers. Sheep just passing on idiocy.

Ppl claim you need a 2080ti to handle 4k. BS. Your 2070 will handle 4k just fine, all but a few ultra intensive, uber detailed games of which lowering some of the details won't change visuals much if any, but will be a big break on the gpu.

I'm implying most ppl don't have the foggiest clue about half the stuff they claim to know as fact.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ppl claim you need a 2080ti to handle 4k. BS. Your 2070 will handle 4k just fine,

The issue/claim here wasn't whether or not the 2070 can handle 4k. However if you have DSR on then at whatever resolution you ARE at you will not get the same frame rate. That was his problem, and that, partially is the solution.

Yes a 2070 can handle 4k, no you are not going to get the same framerate at 1080p (with the same detail settings) however with DSR to 4k on, vs off.