Gaming with the FX 8350

gbizoune

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi,
Is the FX 8350 the most performing cpu released by AMD to date?
Is it the most performing AMD cpu I can use to play games?

Please don't mention INTEL products, I don't care to know if they are better or not :).

Hi,
Is the FX 8350 the most performing cpu released by AMD to date?
Is it the most performing AMD cpu I can use to play games?

Please don't mention INTEL products, I don't care to know if they are better or not :).

I like this guy already.

Yes it is AMD's flagship CPU and head and shoulders abover anything else (AMD) in general computing, in gaming the margins vary in some games yes sizeable, in others not as much.

Now the FX is being blamed for clockspeed. The FX 8350 achieves significantly higher clocks at less power than the Phenom II x 6 1100T. In some game titles the Phenom II's native cores are faster, in other games the Vishera is faster. In overall general system usage the Phenom II x 6 is blown away.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=697

Every Phenom II that is sold hurts AMD more as they make nothing on it. It is time to move on Vishera is everything Zambezi should have been so the argument is over FX is faster than Phenom II and more efficient.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/203?vs=699

Then we throw in the FX 6300 and even the 6300 with the same core and marginal clocks still beats the Phenom II x 6 1100T from pillar to post.

I don't think I am getting tired of saying this but, Phenom II is dead now.

Uther39

Distinguished
Well if you must know Intel is much be..........

HEHE only kidding,

I have an FX8350 and i love it, i also have the intel equivalent and can honestly say the FX is the better over all CPU, even if it does use a few extra watts.

logainofhades

Titan
8350 is clocked 700mhz faster than an X6 1100T and the PhII x4 980. It is within 2-3fps below or above the PhII chips depending on which title it wins or loses. The OP did ask for gaming performance, so I see this as relevant to the discussion.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-processor-frame-rate-performance,3427.html

At the end of the article, PhII chips are still considered smart buys for gaming. I am not calling the 8350 a bad cpu. It just isn't really any better than Ph II for gaming. If someone currently has a PhII X4 or X6, upgrading to an 8350 for games would be a waste of $$$. Money would be better spent on GPU.

Yes if a person already has a Phenom II and is just a gamer then yes there is no reason to upgrade, the X6's still make excellent low cost file servers and game servers. In general computing terms FX is the only way.

logainofhades

Titan
Does anyone really need that much power for just general computing, though? My old core 2 E8190 is still adequate for general use. It currently resides in my mom's system. All she does is Facebook, email, and web browsing. I have PhII x2 560 with an old HD3870 that I use for playing Netflix and downloaded anime in 720p. It has no problems at all with those tasks. Unless you need the boost for more intense and heavier threaded apps, anyone with a PhII X4 or X6 would be wasting their money upgrading to Vishera. Those with a PhII X2 or an Athlon II would benefit from a Vishera upgrade, however.

Well not really for casual usage but if you want file servers/NAS, folding machines, community grid machines, renderers then yes you need the power.

logainofhades

Titan

Well you also mentioned general computing which I would consider more casual usage. The rest you mention I would consider more workstation or higher type usage, which would without a doubt benefit from an 8350.

When I normally refer to general computing, I am looking at it in a manner of purpose creation, AMD and Intel don't create CPU's for gaming they create it for general purpose computing gaming is ancillary to that. General purpose computing refers mostly to utilities in the real world that may vary from end user to end user.

logainofhades

Titan
I would argue the unlocked CPUs are marketed more for enthusiast gamers than anything else. Our opinion on general computing is just different. I would say roughly 90% of users don't do much more than what my mother does with her system. Probably why tablets are starting to become so popular. Most people just flat out don't need that kind of processing power.