Gateway, BIOS and booting

Does Gateway use the built-in boot capability of the BIOS for booting?
Or has Gateway made proprietary modifications to the BIOS for booting off of
CD-ROM drives?

Does Gateway have online specs for the BIOS?

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

What system, and booting from what? USB, PXE (bootp), hard drive, CD-ROM,
etc.?

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> Does Gateway use the built-in boot capability of the BIOS for booting?
> Or has Gateway made proprietary modifications to the BIOS for booting off
of
> CD-ROM drives?
>
> Does Gateway have online specs for the BIOS?
>
> --
> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

CD-ROM.

This was not a system specific question, rather it was an attempt to find
out whether Gateway generally modified the BIOS on its systems for booting
from CD-ROMs, instead of using the BIOS supplied by the mobo manufacturer,
which usually uses El Torito spec.

--
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> What system, and booting from what? USB, PXE (bootp), hard drive, CD-ROM,
> etc.?
>

> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > Does Gateway use the built-in boot capability of the BIOS for booting?
> > Or has Gateway made proprietary modifications to the BIOS for booting
off
> of
> > CD-ROM drives?
> >
> > Does Gateway have online specs for the BIOS?
> >
> > --
> > http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

Howard,

Going back to the more recent past, say the Pentium II timeframe, Gateway has
used mainly off-the-shelf generic Intel-made motherboards in its standard (ATX
and mATX) desktop models. Customization of the BIOS for Gateway consists almost
entirely of a Gateway logo and a Gateway-specific BIOS string. AFAIK, the BIOS
conforms to the El Torito spec as far as booting from a CD. In summary, a lot
like the Micron systems with which you are so familiar.

There are not detailed on-line specs for Gateway BIOSes. The best you can do is
identify the equivalent generic Intel model and download the technical spec from
the Intel web site.

Again, like Micron and unlike both Dell and IBM, Gateway does not impose a
custom look-and-feel on its BIOSes. The typical Gateway BIOS setup operates
exactly like the BIOS setup in a generic Intel board of the same model.

I cannot address any specifics regarding the non-Intel (e.g. MSI brand and AMD
CPUs) motherboards used by Gateway, mostly in the small form factor cases, as
compared to mATX and ATX motherboards. I rarely touch the non-Intel Gateway
systems... Ben Myers

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 06:34:15 -0400, "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com>
wrote:

>CD-ROM.
>
>This was not a system specific question, rather it was an attempt to find
>out whether Gateway generally modified the BIOS on its systems for booting
>from CD-ROMs, instead of using the BIOS supplied by the mobo manufacturer,
>which usually uses El Torito spec.
>
>--
>http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
>"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
>> What system, and booting from what? USB, PXE (bootp), hard drive, CD-ROM,
>> etc.?
>>

>> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
>> > Does Gateway use the built-in boot capability of the BIOS for booting?
>> > Or has Gateway made proprietary modifications to the BIOS for booting
>off
>> of
>> > CD-ROM drives?
>> >
>> > Does Gateway have online specs for the BIOS?
>> >
>> > --
>> > http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.

That's what I would expect.
The date on the El Torito spec is 25 Jan 1995 and, I have been informed, IBM
announced El Torito at the Fall, 1994 Comdex.
I guess the latter could be confirmed by checking with Comdex and/or trade
pubs from around that time.