Gateway G6-450 and Windows ME

Our secondary computer is a Gateway G6-450, running Windows ME, PII
450Mhz processor, 384MB of RAM. It originally came preinstalled with
Windows 98FE. We wanted to use a 802.11b wireless USB adapter on this
computer, hence the reason for upgrading to ME.

Problem we're having is that Windows Millennium does a horrible job
managing system resources. A game we frequently play like PartyPoker really
chews up the system. Resources frequently go down to 1%, especially if we
have Outlook Express and/or Internet Explorer open too. But even closing
those programs doesn't always prevent the computer from crashing.

I have every unnecessary program turned off thru MSCONFIG. I run
frequent scan disks, disk defrags, virus checks, anti-spyware checks, delete
temp files. Are there any tips that might help Windows ME manage system
resources a little better? I'm not interested in upgrading the operating
system on this machine.

If all else fails you could reinstall Win98 and upgrade it to Win98SE which
will handle the situation.

"History Fan" <IreALLYHatESPAm@IreALyHATeSPam.COm> wrote in message
> Our secondary computer is a Gateway G6-450, running Windows ME, PII
> 450Mhz processor, 384MB of RAM. It originally came preinstalled with
> Windows 98FE. We wanted to use a 802.11b wireless USB adapter on this
> computer, hence the reason for upgrading to ME.
>
> Problem we're having is that Windows Millennium does a horrible job
> managing system resources. A game we frequently play like PartyPoker
> really chews up the system. Resources frequently go down to 1%,
> especially if we have Outlook Express and/or Internet Explorer open too.
> But even closing those programs doesn't always prevent the computer from
> crashing.
>
> I have every unnecessary program turned off thru MSCONFIG. I run
> frequent scan disks, disk defrags, virus checks, anti-spyware checks,
> delete temp files. Are there any tips that might help Windows ME manage
> system resources a little better? I'm not interested in upgrading the
> operating system on this machine.

Heck, if you're going to "upgrade" to 98SE from 98, you may as well go for
WinXP. I ran it on a PII-350, before I upgraded to a PIII-550 on my old
Gateway.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew
Milford, DE