Gave up on the GT and got a GTS instead

m1ddy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
Well, I finally gave up on getting hold of a 8800GT. It was just too much hastle. I could of probably waited a bit longer if I had a working system but I have been without a rig now for weeks.

I finally went for the 8800GTS SSC from EVGA for £250 inc VAT. Hopefully this will allow me to step up when the G92 is released. I have read in places that the EVGA SSC has more stream processors than the standard GTS but my cards spec still says it has 96. Oh well, it will do for now.

How does the SSC fair when you overclock it a bit? Probably going to try and tweak it, at least a few mhz.

Opinions/Suggestions?

Ta

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Really? Newegg has 8800GT cards in and out of stock on a regular basis. They are overpriced, but still cheaper than the inferior g80 based 8800GTS cards. I think the eVGA SSC edition GTS has 112 stream processors though, so that might level the playing field between it and the 8800GT.

crusoe74

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Supply in the UK is sporadic but if you keep a sharp eye you should be able to get one. Ebuyer is the most consistent supplier and they have a handful at the moment but you have to be quick.

m1ddy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2007
i have had 2 pre ordered for weeks on two different sites. Got fed up of both delivery dates being cancelled and moved back. I will be stepping up to the G92 as soon as it is released tho.

G

Is it me or did they not say the G92 8800GTS would be released by this Friday? Seems like a really poor decision buying a card that everyone knows is obsolete when what might be the best card available comes out that same week for a similar price. Of course I don't know what stocks in the UK are like, or even prices for that matter. If you're saying the 8800GT is still very hard to get, I can imagine this new GTS will be similar. That being said I still would've either waited for the new GTS or the GT, or picked up the 3870 or 3850. But like I said, I'm unsure of the situation in the UK.

Oh, and good luck stepping up with eVGA, you're going to have to pay shipping both ways from the UK to Southern California. It cost me $15 each way from Pennsylvania, can only imagine international shipping...

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
The g92 GTS is out today, and it gives the old GTS even more of a spanking than the GT does. Whether or not it's worth it to Step-Up depends on how much shipping will cost you. For me it was $14.05, but international is probably more.

G

Lol the G92 GTS is available everywhere today and you bought the G80 GTS for probably the same price. Ouch.

rocket_sauce

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2004

/shakes head :pfff:

If this is true and this is the way the situation went down...its still a decent card dude, enjoy playing regardless, because we have all be there at one point or another.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
m1ddy must have either not heard about the new GTS release coming up or have some serious availability issues.

Not all is lost though. The old GTS isn't a bad card, it just gets paddled by the new one in almost every game.