Gearbox, Sega ''Lied'' With Aliens: CM Promo Media, Demo

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
After watching the initial gameplay video i was entirely psyched in order to play another in the series of Alien games. It had the atmosphere and the general "shits got real" feeling as I watched the player go through each of the scenes. When I actually started playing, aside form being able to generally shoot xeno's, the idea that the xeno's would get hung up on random silly objects, get stuck in corners and they would just run into each other. The graphics looked sub 2008 (gameplay is more important), while the campaign felt like it was quickly slapped together. Where were my flares? Damn console ports... This is the first game that I ever wanted a refund on and I've already been denied by Steam.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]i disagree , Monolith's follow up to rebellions avp (avp 2 2000 {or was it 2001?}) any way i thought the second AVP FPSer was pretty damn good .[/citation]

I agree. The second AvP was awesome. I had so many hours in multiplayer, that the upside down view for the xenomorph became normal to me. Going back to playing pred or marine just became disorienting and seemed too slow.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm shocked Gearbox could screw this up so badly or outsource it and allow it to be screwed up so badly. People peeking through the ini files say the game is built around an engine produced in 2007 and then no longer maintained or patched (Unreal Engine 2.5?). This sort of sloppy behavior should not be tolerated in the gaming world. Don't give Gearbox free money for not doing their jobs. Their stance on all PC gamers as pirates and changing game mechanics in games like Duke Nukem makes it hard to trust or to like Gearbox. They seem like a very shady company.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
man and they made sweet Borderlands 2 ... then nerfed the life out of it but still, it was awesome. My how the mighty have fallen.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
So disappointing and never buying a Gearbox title after this! Though its funny how TH has this game listed to the right under Best Offers section...lol!!!

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I don't know why you guys like Borderlands so much. That game also used to look much better in early previews as well. It looked much more realistic than now. Gearbox has been on my shit list for a long time now. Stop encouraging them.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Just like I said before: at Multiplayer AvP 2 does exceed greatly, but lacks very heavily at single-player, some design choices and majority of musical scores.
If you consider it as "Multiplayer-only" game (which you really should) then it's fine, but as far as single-player goes - it's much worse than AvP '99.
"Primal Hunt" is an absolute joke and "Gold" is all about Multiplayer.

MC_K7

Distinguished
I'm a big fan of the series so saying I'm disappointed is an understatement. Kind of remind me of the AVP fiasco of 2010, I've been awaiting this game anxiously and I paid the big bucks and bought it on first day of release, I played only 1 hour but it was plagued with so much bugs it was barely playable so it ended up in the trash bin the same day I bought it.

For A:CM my hopes were much higher because of all the enthusiasm from the Gearbox team in interviews and those walkthrough videos. Man, I'm glad I didn't buy it on first day. Since I'm a fan of the series I might still buy it in 6 months if it's on sale for 10$ or something. At least my expectations will be so low that I might still enjoy some aspect of it.

I thought this game would be like a L4D2 experience set in the Aliens universe. The way Gearbox talked about the coop multiplayer it could have been so awesome. But yeah, shame on them for lying... Especially for the fake walkthroughs.

Has anyone played the original AVP for PC (1999 version)? This game was so awesome for its time. I dream of having another great Aliens game like this but rebooted with modern graphics and enhanced coop multiplayer. One day maybe...

MC_K7

Distinguished
[citation][nom]GNCD[/nom]I agree. The second AvP was awesome. I had so many hours in multiplayer, that the upside down view for the xenomorph became normal to me. Going back to playing pred or marine just became disorienting and seemed too slow.[/citation]

Although my favorite one was the first AVP (1999). AVP2 was a nice sequel. Especially the multiplayer as you say. If only they could make another great AVP game again with modern graphics it would be awesome!

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Do you even read what others said before you, before you decide to write your post?

It is still awesome. Just like the Beat 'Em Up for CPS.

Ro0ster

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I dont blame Gearbox as much as I do Sega. Gearbox has undeniably shown its ability to create a great game through the Borderland's series. Looking back at the 'console-itis' of Sega's past releases in the Aliens universe, you'll find consistent underwhelming examples of a potentially great franchise.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]People, you wanna know my opinion on all this? Opinion of a truly hardcore gamer who literally played and finished EVERY Alien-themed and AvP-themed video game EVER MADE SO FAR?I'll tell you...So far there was only two (TWO! 2! ДВЕ! DUOS! FUTATSU!) really WORTHWHILE, TRULY GREAT games in the entire "Alien/AvP" franchise: "Alien VS. Predator" arcade Beat 'Em Up for CPS (1994) and Rebellion's "Aliens Versus Predator" for PC (1999). These are the only Xenomorph-themed games you should spend your time on, so far.[/citation]

ALIENS for the Commodore64 was pretty cool too. The music really send chills to your spine and in gameplay you feel vulnerable .Welding stress you because was deadly for your mates.Rescuing the NPC was actually meaningful and by chronometer.

Heck; you even fight a queen with a powerlift.It sounds like A:CM but the way it should had been done..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS