GeChic On-Lap 2501M 15.6" Battery-Powered Monitor, Tested

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
It is an industry artificial block in my opinion. All they would have to do is include a little extra circuitry to the existing pads for an HDMI input and viola, you could use your pad as a monitor to another device. Most pads have at least that resolution on some even better. I would never buy this item unless it was under $150 or less. It is a one trick pony with a low resolution screen.

groundhogdaze

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I'd love to have one of these portable monitors. I've go a bunch of headless PC's that I need to check every once in a while and don't want to lug a regular monitor around nor hunt for a power socket for the test monitor. If only the price were a little lower...

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]It is an industry artificial block in my opinion. All they would have to do is include a little extra circuitry to the existing pads for an HDMI input and viola, you could use your pad as a monitor to another device. Most pads have at least that resolution on some even better. I would never buy this item unless it was under $150 or less. It is a one trick pony with a low resolution screen.[/citation]
I don't disagree that tablets could easily include an input, but to be fair, this product is far bigger than a tablet. It may only have a niche use, but it is clearly better suited for that niche use than a tablet screen would be.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
[citation][nom]Fulgurant[/nom]I don't disagree that tablets could easily include an input, but to be fair, this product is far bigger than a tablet. It may only have a niche use, but it is clearly better suited for that niche use than a tablet screen would be.[/citation]
Come to think of it, laptops should include inputs too -- but to my knowledge, they never have.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
interesting concept but would be nice if bluetooth connectivity wee there unless i am missing somethign it s hdmi only. touchscereen i know is pricier but again would add to utility. interesting product just as it is looks very limited

[citation][nom]Senor Kalyan[/nom]http://us.aoc.com/monitor_displays/e2251fwu[/citation]
Nice product, except it doesn't have its own power supply and can only take a USB signal over a DisplayLink driver. Makes for a nice quasi-mobile secondary monitor for computers, but it won't connect to most types of mobile devices like the GeChic will.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
Their USB powered HDMI monitor is really well made. I have one I use for when I want to grab one of my booksized PC's or my Mac Mini and take it on the road. It is also really great for testing hardware or with consoles. And adding a separate battery pack that has two USB ports lets me use it with a Raspberry Pi on the go. It is meant to be used to add dual monitor support to your notebook (even comes with metal brackets).

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
[citation][nom]shadowfamicom[/nom]Their USB powered HDMI monitor is really well made. I have one I use for when I want to grab one of my booksized PC's or my Mac Mini and take it on the road. It is also really great for testing hardware or with consoles. And adding a separate battery pack that has two USB ports lets me use it with a Raspberry Pi on the go. It is meant to be used to add dual monitor support to your notebook (even comes with metal brackets).[/citation]

Forgot the link to the one I was talking about which is 13.3 inches

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0V108S5365

occupant

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Reminds me of the Lenovo LT1423, a $350-$400 touchscreen introduced in January at CES2013, which would actually be useful for me since it matches my laptop's 1600x900 resolution. I don't need wireless connectivity or BlueTooth or a ton of features, or even a touchscreen. Somebody package a 1600x900 17 inch laptop screen in a nice aluminum enclosure with a kickstand, and make it thin enough to accompany my laptop in its backpack, and I'd happily pay $300 for it. Dual displays are pretty much required for the work I do, and the typical 27-32 inch TV in many hotel rooms isn't exactly an ideal second display. Toting around a 2 inch thick $69 refurbished 20 inch Acer V203H has been my solution and it doesn't exactly fit in my laptop bag, even if I remove the stand and carry it separately or in my other bags. At least it is 1600x900.

Some_guy_said

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]So even though the hardware itself is excellent, the final product is too niche-y to sell ?[/citation]

Absolutely.

You can get a 9 inch IPS TOUCH screen at 1900x1200 resolution, speakers, Weighs only 1.2 pounds and lasts for 8 hours on a charge.

For $20 more...$270.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GFRE5A/ref=asc_df_B008GFRE5A?tag=hyprod-20&hvpos=1o2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1878467891549516394&hvpone=

And it comes with a tablet included at no extra charge.

Hadit

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Sorry for a possibly dumb question, but I assume the HDMI connection is only important for videos. I just want a good display for static camera shots that I can paint from. Need good color and resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.