GeForce 196.78 Beta Driver Runs GeForce GTX 470

Status
Not open for further replies.

chess

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
i'm excited to see the new Nvidia cards but more excited to see how ATI will respond (crossing fingers for price cut!)

G

if the past driver is any indication you can expect it to cause a small thermonuclear explosion when used with a fermi card

nfail

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
All the world was worried about the large hadron collider causing a mini black hole but instead it's going to be fermi with nVidia's latest drivers. We're doomed.

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
When these come out its going to very intresting to see comparison of the benchies. nVidia vs ATI.

I hope the prices will drop $700 is just crazy for these cards [:lectrocrew:1]

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]chess[/nom]i'm excited to see the new Nvidia cards but more excited to see how ATI will respond (crossing fingers for price cut!)[/citation]

That's what i'm excited for!

Elementgreen

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I'm hoping this means that new official drivers are on the way. I'm still on beta drivers for my 260 gtx (the beta that fixed the OC issue). Not that its a bad thing, especially since that I've had no problems with my card's fan or tempurature. Sorta gives me an irrational sense of insecurity. Anxiety disorder FTW.

I'm pretty hopeful for the Fermi. A lot of people went into fanboy mode at the benchmarks, though; which is strange considering the benchmark was based on tesselation. It's still not a very solid indicator of how well the card will stand up to ATI's 5 series. I'm staying optimistic : D, and saving my money for a while to see who comes out as the victor.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]chess[/nom]i'm excited to see the new Nvidia cards but more excited to see how ATI will respond (crossing fingers for price cut!)[/citation]

Me too, but I don't think it will happen soon. Just a guess but here is my prediction:
Nvidia will claim their product is superior and price their cards slightly higher than their ATI counterparts. Supply pressure will then raise the price of the cards higher than the original MSRP (similar to what happened with radeon 5850's and 5870's) ATI will be more than happy to keep the price status quo and try to out-market Nvidia using features like eye-finity, lower power consumption, and cooler temperatures as selling points in favor of their product.

Also, since ATI has placed a variety of cards at every price point, lowering the cost of one card will require them to lower the price of every card at each price point. But they won't want to do this right away, since Nvidia will not have all there price point cards out at once, but will likely roll them out over a period of months like ATI did.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Elementgreen[/nom]A lot of people went into fanboy mode at the benchmarks/citation]

All I saw was a lot of posts of people under some broken assumption it will cause AMD to lower their prices immediately. Kind of like half of this thread. It is apparently the new trendy thing to say.

[citation][nom]dreamphantom_1977[/nom]But the 470 isn't the top part its the bottom part[/citation]

Careful, they are supposedly dealing with trolls, but nothing will stop being thumbs downed into obscurity by calling out a FUD site for spreading bad information after people used it as their own troll bible for the past few weeks.

ddkshah

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
160 GB/s memory? Not that great as i see it. 5870 has 153 GB/s so not a great upgrade. Also 5870 will be its competition. I suspect the 470 will beat the 5870 by ~10-20%

rang0046

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2008
all amd has to do is lower 5870 to $300 thats all and kill all nvidia billed up to fermi launch even thoug fermi still cant beat ati and i bet my entire bank book on that its too late the horse done gone through the gate

rebturtle

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
I think my BOINC stats will be going up in almost direct proportion to my electric bill soon. If I'm going to keep donating to science, it's time to invest in solar.

Status
Not open for further replies.