GeForce GT 220 And 210: DirectX 10.1 And 40nm Under $80

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
putting gddr5 on this board would be completely overboard and would have pushed the price over the top. same as the 1gb of ram. If they had just went with 256 for the 210 and 512 for the 220 the price would have been able to be set lower and they would have had a better spot to compete against the other cards already on the market.

As most say too late. This will go mostly in OEM machines and a few people will pick it up. Some of the people who think new is always better might go for this, but it's more just a test for nvidia to see 40nm. I'll wait for the 3 series as this was just a nice test.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Ah... read more of the article.

Why not throw in the ATI 4350? Since the 210 and 4350 are more in the same market... better than on-board with HDMI/DVI output. The 4350 goes for about $25~35 (rebate or not). Newegg is selling the GT220 for $70~80, with the $70 cards being the generic slower models. Obviously for noise and heat, the $10 difference is worth it...

But then the GT220 is going up against the easily faster 4670 at $55~80. From basic models to fanless heat pipe versions. Of course the HIS 2-slot cooler is almost silent with 1GB of memory sells for $75.

Error in article. It refers and compares the 210 against the "fanless" 4350... which isn't even compared. But the photos of your 210 shows it obviously has a fan on it and that its not doing a good job cooling the tiny GPU either. Most 4350s have no fans.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Why not throw in the ATI 4350? [/citation]

I'd have liked to include the 4350 and 9500 GT DDR2, and a 9400 GT as well, but I didn't have infinite time or all the samples available. I had relatively little lead time on this, unfortunately.

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]BartG[/nom]mmm, you have to wonder why they released these cards now, just before Windows 7 launch. I think its because they want to give mew buyers the latest technology at a very affordable price (unlike the 58xx which costs a fair amount).So new buyers will opt for this card, not thinking of performance gains, rather thinking they have the newest with 10.1 drivers which works o so sweet with W7 (so were told).Me, atleast we know what Nvidia is coming up with, and i`m sure it will give ATI a run for there money, and this is coming from a ATI fan![/citation]

Ah what? This is far from "New" Tech As an ATI fan you must know that ATI has had Sub $100 DX 10 cards on the market for a good year now. The green team is late to the budget segment party. This should have came 6 months ago instead of a million renamed models. *Insert Price is Right Fail Horn Here* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom] The 9600GSO/8800GS variant (96SP/192b) described is no longer being made. Only the 48SP/256b and 96SP/128b are available. Both are inferior to the original. At least make mention of this.[/citation]

You're right. Fixed!

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
'tis not scottish... 'tis crap
New gen cards are supposed to improve upon the old generation. In performance if nothing else... ooo 40nm, all that does is lower power consumption and make it cheaper for nvidia. So we have a cost saving new card that can't compete with the low end cards from a year ago... I hope the idiots to decide on manufacturing these cards have the decency to fall on a sword.

LLJones

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
This is just something else that team green is throwing out there to keep the spotlight occasionally glancing in their direction so people don't forget they exist.

If the rumors are true about the new super heavy duty max power deluxe limited edition omnipotent 300 being 6 months away, Nvidia is in a very bad spot.

As an OEM part, perhaps to test something, /maybe/ these have a place. Ignorant masses may buy them because "it's the same thing as in my cousin's HP!!!" Otherwise, I thought the reference to the fail horn was humorous and apt.
I'm a big fan of minimizing power usage, but it can't sacrifice minimum acceptable performance. So yes, FAIL.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]So basically a $45 9600GSO PWNED this $50-70 GT220/210?LOL! EPIC! nVidia is way too late....9600GSO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814121320[/citation]
Considering 220 is built hdmi, rgb, dvi ports is stock. It's definitively a media card with full audio pass though hdmi crap without needing to use extra wires etc which is new for nvidia. And not too late.

spearhead

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
I think this is a overpriced and underpreforming piece of shit.
No offence but can be better for the money. Rather stick with hybrid graphics from ATI those rule in powersaving and buget value. For games get atleast a radeon 4770 and better the 4870.

joejamesatou

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]So basically a $45 9600GSO PWNED this $50-70 GT220/210?LOL! EPIC! nVidia is way too late....9600GSO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814121320[/citation]

That 9600 GSO is a steal. I've had one for two months now. This article convinced me to get a second and SLI the pair before they quit making them. A ton of cheap performance. Power usage be damned!

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
If you want a media card, get an radeon, they are better with media and cheaper. Can't go wrong with a radeon, well except if you want a linux card I hear people saying.

But really why pay more for a the 210 who has trouble displaying 1080p with everything turned on, whereas the radeon 4550 (which is not even mentioned in the end and is a lot cheapercheaper) has no problem going all the way up to max resolution 2560x1600

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I was not particularly inclined to go for Nvidia after reading about all the product recalls of laptops using some of their chips. But seeing the good power and temperature figures from this review, maybe Nvidia learned their lesson.
If they price it right, the GT220 looks fairly good enough for watching videos on an entry level PC.

FoShizzleDizzle

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]Do you remember the puny GeForce FX 5200 and its whole crappy family?History repeats itself once again!Good luck NVIDIA![/citation]
I still own both the AGP and PCI variantss of the FX 5200 back from COD1 and America's Army: Special Forces days. Both died from solder cracks eventually. Both were fixed back to normal after 8 minutes in the oven at about 375. :)

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]pauldh[/nom]The first time? http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 22-10.htmlhttp://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 433-3.htmlhttp://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 427-2.htmlhttp://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 424-8.htmlhttp://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 421-6.htmlhttp://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 15-10.html[/citation]

I think you got my point but you wanted to do some hair splitting. Let's check the dates for those reviews: 09/29/2009, 09/23/2009, 09/30/2009, 09/24/2009, 09/25/2009, 09/28/2009. We are talking about a couple of weeks old articles. HAWX was released in the beginning of March and I remember many reviews with DX10.1 disabled on ATI cards.

qwertymac93

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
[citation][nom]IzzyCraft[/nom]Considering 220 is built hdmi, rgb, dvi ports is stock. It's definitively a media card with full audio pass though hdmi crap without needing to use extra wires etc which is new for nvidia. And not too late.[/citation]

um... a media card should not cost $80, especially when ATI's 4670(capable of basically the same thing) costs less, and is WAY faster.

G

[citation][nom]Proximon[/nom]They have a lot of loyal folks looking to save money these days, so they'll move some 220's. So fans will appreciate the cards.[/citation]

Agreed. It's always a good incintive to introduce products that're not "top of the line", but will do the job at a reasonable price. Of course these GPU's would run Crysis like poo but there are other games that're not so system demanding and will run fine on these tiny video rockets.

roastmaster

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Gigabyte still makes graphic card? Well their product is not even that good. Nvidia will come back with a hard and let see if ATI can handle it. But for now, ATI has won the battle.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
At first I thought it would be somewhat like a 4770 given it's 40nm production. But suddenly, I just don't know where to put this thing. I'll be more happy to spend some more buying 4850 than this. Technological advancement is good, but making it work better than the already existing solutions is a different story.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]qwertymac93[/nom]um... a media card should not cost $80, especially when ATI's 4670(capable of basically the same thing) costs less, and is WAY faster.[/citation]
Yeah the price should be more like 50 or less for a capable media card. But finally nvidia has audio support native in a card it's good to see they can do it, and shows promise for future cards to have it.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well these cards has to be cheaper to produce versus those older Nvidia card, so this is same as ATI30xx series was to ATI. They are not actually bad cards, they just have to come down price somewhat and they are ok budget cards.
The other thing is that ATI will have their 50xx series ready to low end too, so these have to compete with dx11 cards. Not an easy situation. Early test supose that dx11 can really boost up the speed and it can mean a lot in these low end cards. But they are not out yet and we don't know how much they will cost, so these cards can improve Nvidia economy and that is a good thing if we are gonna going to have some fierce competition allso in the future too.
I really hope that Nvidia will have their dx11 budget cards out sooner than later. It would be good from the customers point of view. But at this moment ATI seems to have the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.