Question GeForce GTX 1080ti freezing pc

Jan 2, 2021
Update: Nvidia drivers 460.xx cause this issue with 10 series cards, downgrading to 457.51 fixes the issue.

One day my pc randomly started freezing, it will turn off one monitor and the other monitor would just show a random solid color. Sometimes, if I wait long enough my displays would come back but that’s only after about a 5 minute wait and doesn’t happen every time. I took the 1080ti out of my system and installed a 950 which worked without issue. I installed the 1080ti into another system and it ran fine. It seems to happen more often when I am launching a game, tabbing out or into a game, or exiting a game. The card isn’t oc and never has been. I searched around and tried different fixes and nothing works, I am at the end of my wits here.

I have tried:
  • Cleaning the system
  • Making sure the psu is putting out enough power
  • Changing the cables running from the psu to the gpu
  • Changing the pci port the card is in
  • Downgrading my graphics driver to one where the card ran fine
  • Reinstalling windows
If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this thing to run again I would be so grateful.

My Specs:
  • CPU- I7 6700k
  • Mobo- Asus z170-a
  • Gpu- Evga GeForce GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • Psu- Evga supernova 1000w
  • OS- Windows 10 64 bit
If there is any other information you need feel free to ask, this is my first post here so I am not too sure about the etiquette.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021
Hello,
Exactlty the same problem and the same conclusion : "Nvidia drivers 460.xx cause this issue with 10 series cards, downgrading to 457.51 fixes the issue."
But does anyone know if newer drivers fix this problem ?
(i tested 460.89 and still KO)