GeForce GTX 460 (GF104) Specs, Speeds Leaked?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bochica[/nom]When you can decide between ATI/Nvidia with price and performance, power consumption and heat are the next two factors even a gamer would look at. The thing with the fermi chips is that they should not be running this hot, nor should they need the amount of power that is required with the current 4xx cards. The only thing different between the 5xxx and 4xx is that the Geforce's are GPGPUs, everything else is the same.Just because you have enough money to buy the card, it does not mean you have the money in the long run to cover the costs of power/cooling. Some people "splurge" on their video card. Heat/power was the deciding factor for me when it was 4xxx vs 2xx. The Geforce's ran cooler, had lower power consumption, and performed on par or better to a comparable Radeon. Guaranteed, if a die shrink comes out that helps the 4xx's power/heat, sales will go up in a heartbeat. I have been on Nvidia's side since the 5 series, and I used 3dFx cards before then. Nvidia usually does well, but the 4xx series is just a hiccup that will pass.[/citation]

No, the thing is that no one really cared until AMD found a metric they could actually win with. Now all the sudden the fairweather AMD fans wave this one flag like it's the cure. The GTX series is faster. The end. If you want to go fast, you have to be able to readjust.

It's like bitching that a Ferrari sucks up more gas than your Corolla. OF COURSE IT DOES! High performance = needs more fuel = emits more waste. That's just how the world works. The Fermi GPU is the fastest on the planet.

And if you're dropping $700+ on a pair of GPUs and you can't pay the electric bill, you deserve to sit in the dark and think about your stupidity.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]i am so sick and tired of people asking about power usage!!! if you can afford to buy this type of cards then you should be able to pay for your electrical bill, if not then don't bother. personally I don't care if my system uses 200W or 1200W, who gives a crap. if you want performance you should understand that the system is going to be power hungry[/citation]

its not about power usuage , it's about efficency. it's about rather or not a company puts time and effort into realeasing a good reliable cartd that waste less. by your reasoning no one should ever worry about the enviroment , they should just slap factories and power plants together with only total out put considered , nuclear power plants shouldn't worry about core shielding , just pump more juice from the reactor , oil companies shouldnt worry about big spills just suck oil out of the ground faster, who cares if my car chews 50 gallons of gas for one mile as long as it goes fast ! ...

you get my point , it's this same "output" mentallity that has landed our world into the current ecological state it is in now, and i for one love seeing computer users and hardware manufactors that worry about waste and efficent use of power. because just having the top out put should not be what every thing is about.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]its not about power usuage , it's about efficency. it's about rather or not a company puts time and effort into realeasing a good reliable cartd that waste less. by your reasoning no one should ever worry about the enviroment , they should just slap factories and power plants together with only total out put considered , nuclear power plants shouldn't worry about core shielding , just pump more juice from the reactor , oil companies shouldnt worry about big spills just suck oil out of the ground faster, who cares if my car chews 50 gallons of gas for one mile as long as it goes fast ! ... you get my point , it's this same "output" mentallity that has landed our world into the current ecological state it is in now, and i for one love seeing computer users and hardware manufactors that worry about waste and efficent use of power. because just having the top out put should not be what every thing is about.[/citation]

For sensitive girly boys. The rest of us with a pair care about framerates.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]No, the thing is that no one really cared until AMD found a metric they could actually win with. Now all the sudden the fairweather AMD fans wave this one flag like it's the cure. The GTX series is faster. The end. If you want to go fast, you have to be able to readjust.It's like bitching that a Ferrari sucks up more gas than your Corolla. OF COURSE IT DOES! High performance = needs more fuel = emits more waste. That's just how the world works. The Fermi GPU is the fastest on the planet. And if you're dropping $700+ on a pair of GPUs and you can't pay the electric bill, you deserve to sit in the dark and think about your stupidity.[/citation]

see my above post to another user.

now to expand on that , the GF 400's are the fastest , they are a whoopy doo 15% faster at most over the ati 5000 counter parts. for that kind of speed booste their efficeny (and cost) is horrid and unjustified , your ferrari comparison is lame , because a ferarri is giving over 200% better performance for all it's cost hike, gas usage hike and waste hike teh GF 400 is eating nearly double teh juice a comparible 5000 series card uses , yet it's speed increase is marginal at best ( we've all seen the benchmarks at toms). hell ATI's dual chip 5970 is more pwoer efficent than a gf 400 , it only uses a hiar more juice that the single chip 480 , yet it is obviously much faster , where as teh 480 next to it';s comparible 5870 may be faster but just barely and even then teh 580 stil pulls ahead of it in certain conditions.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]For sensitive girly boys. The rest of us with a pair care about framerates.[/citation]

insulting some one because you can't come up with somehting better, is a clear sign of lack of intelligence ... this conversation is over.
i'm not about to sink myself down to your level to even give you an a derogatory reply.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]insulting some one because you can't come up with somehting better, is a clear sign of lack of intelligence ... this conversation is over. i'm not about to sink myself down to your level to even give you an a derogatory reply.[/citation]

I think "Down to your level" is pretty derogatory, princess. For your punishment, I'm going to go outside and dump my trashcan all over the wetlands next door. Excuse me.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]I think "Down to your level" is pretty derogatory, princess. For your punishment, I'm going to go outside and dump my trashcan all over the wetlands next door. Excuse me.[/citation]

ok i can't iugnore your ignorance much further , first off

1. having a pair of nuts has nothing to do with realising that the world is not an infinite plane and it doens't have infinite resources
2. if "haivng a pair" includes not having a brain, then so be it i supose i don't have "a pair" i do how ever have two testicles ,and i also haveabrain as well .
3. your pair will not do you much good when you are choking on toxic fumes,your hair is falling out from radiation exposure and your "pair" is rorrting off your body due to all th crap in the enviroment that you subjected "your pair" todurring the coruse of your life.

mean while i'll continue concerning myself with how i can help to alleviate or stop the very real pysical woes we are afflicting on our selves and our planet every day.

madass

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Fail. the $220 5830 matches the GTX465, which is probably ~10% faster than this. Would have been a 5770 killer.....had it cost 50 dolalrs less.

Status
Not open for further replies.