GeForce GTX 460M SLI: Mobile Gaming Value From AVADirect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
last gaming laptop i'll ever own was the HDX20 8800m series... google it - thats why. It lasted me a few generations - and the wifey uses it now, still games well(for the games she plays anyway).

All these "gaming" laptops are on 17" screens... i'd just as well plug it into an external monitor - which defeats the purpose a bit - might as well have a small fragbox for the price...

I wish some company would rejuvinate the spirit of HP's HDX Dragon line...

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
True value will hit when the cpus with the integrated graphics come out, hopefully. That is their purpose, right? I hardly find 3,100 or 2,100 dollars a value. Gaming on the go is a privilege, not a need. Value on a privilege needs to be steeper than this.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Maziar[/nom]Thanks for the article;however,I hoped you compare it with 2 GTX 480Ms as well[/citation]Yes, well, the X8100 didn't support two of them due to power issues (most HUGE notebooks won't) and the other X7200 (the one with the 980X installed) had already been sent back.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
soo umm i7 950 DESKTOP vs i7 920 XM MOBILE?

did someone forgot to mention that the AMD cards were paired with mobile procs, while 460Ms got the destkop stuff?

It did not made any sense when I saw that crysis high AMD gets slaughtered, and then V High is evenish. Then I looked back and saw that AMD gets a mobile CPU that could have been the bottleneck given the gfx power...

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Would have been nice to see the GTX 480m SLI results from when you had that notebook but otherwise good review, been able to find nothing on GTX 460m SLI until this!

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Nice article. Will Toms ever do an new article devoted to microstuttering? It's been years since the subject has been approached, yet the phenomenon is still prevalent.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I STILL don't understand the fetish that anyone would possibly have with gaming on a laptop.

It's not like you can just take this baby to the park and play some Black Ops while Fido is chasing a tennis ball.

It draws some serious power, and costs double what a desktop version would. Did I forget to mention on a desktop you could be playing on a 24" screen?

Get a good desktop case, manage your cords properly and understand that desktops aren't that big of a deal to move if mobility is your thing.

IMHO, big waste of money. Laptops aren't suitable yet for gaming. For me personally, I don't like the screen and keyboard being on the same level....I need the keyboard lower, and carrying around a different keyboard sort of kills the idea of practicality and mobility.

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
It always amazes me when people talk about how gaming laptops are useless machines that cost so much more then their desktop counterparts.
It only goes to show you have never been to a LAN party.
No one intends on using these machines away from a power socket.
Weigh your computer case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speaker system, all the cables....tell me if they weigh more then 17lbs and if it can fit in a small backpack. Not to mention the time it takes to break down the whole system, pack it, reassemble it, then break it down again, then reassemble it.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]silversurfernhs[/nom]last gaming laptop i'll ever own was the HDX20 8800m series... google it - thats why. It lasted me a few generations - and the wifey uses it now, still games well(for the games she plays anyway).All these "gaming" laptops are on 17" screens... i'd just as well plug it into an external monitor - which defeats the purpose a bit - might as well have a small fragbox for the price...I wish some company would rejuvinate the spirit of HP's HDX Dragon line...[/citation]

There's a little hypocrisy in your post. You mention "gaming laptops" "only" having 17" screens and then talk about just getting a fragbox. But is a 20" monster "laptop" really a laptop? Technically its portable but its over 15lbs..."might as well just get a fragbox" IMO.

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
[citation][nom]tomskent[/nom]It always amazes me when people talk about how gaming laptops are useless machines that cost so much more then their desktop counterparts.It only goes to show you have never been to a LAN party.No one intends on using these machines away from a power socket. Weigh your computer case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speaker system, all the cables....tell me if they weigh more then 17lbs and if it can fit in a small backpack. Not to mention the time it takes to break down the whole system, pack it, reassemble it, then break it down again, then reassemble it.[/citation]

and you would pay 3000 dollars to not have to do that? wow

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
and you would pay 3000 dollars to not have to do that? wow

Where did I say I would personally pay 3000 for a gaming laptop? oh yeah, I didnt.

There are plenty of good gaming laptops out there for around $1000
wow

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
So, people should buy these expensive systems for LAN parties? Does no one have internet access anymore, or do they just have Comcast as their service provider?

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]$3,142 is not a value.[/citation]

Value in this case is relative. Compared to GTX 480M and 5870, GTX 460M is the better value ;-)

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]tomskent[/nom]It always amazes me when people talk about how gaming laptops are useless machines that cost so much more then their desktop counterparts.It only goes to show you have never been to a LAN party.No one intends on using these machines away from a power socket. Weigh your computer case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speaker system, all the cables....tell me if they weigh more then 17lbs and if it can fit in a small backpack. Not to mention the time it takes to break down the whole system, pack it, reassemble it, then break it down again, then reassemble it.[/citation]

Laptop
Will need the power supply and cord
Desktop
Will need a cord

Laptop
Gaming on a laptop you will most likely carry a keyboard and/or mouse
Desktop
Will need a keyboard and mouse

Laptop
Will probably use a headset
Desktop
Will probably use a headset

Laptop
Gaming on a little bitty 17" screen??? I think not. Probably show up with a monitor.
Desktop
Will carry a monitor

Laptop
No cables except for power supply and all the extras previously mentioned
Desktop
No cables except for power cord and all the extras previously mentioned

I don't see the logic. Show me one person who will arrive with only a laptop and power supply. No extras whatsoever.

JamesDodds

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Carried my Desktop to cousin's for Thanksgiving. Just brought the case and hooked up to a monitor when I got there. Gaming rig 750$. No problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.