GeForce GTX 480 And 470: From Fermi And GF100 To Actual Cards!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
in crysis on max quality the gtx 480 sli loses out to a 5870 cfx, this i did not expect to see today.

given the simple stat

gtx 480 sli = 3gb
5870 cfx = 2gb

jlyu

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
well..the fact that i am only using a 4850..a gtx 480 is not bad of a choice.

its only 499.99 with around 7 shipping, and a 5870 is only maybe 50 cheaper..so its not bad

but if you put in power consumptions and etc its a huge con

but i really dont need any gaming gpu anyway..so why waste money on a new one, when i'll be having to buy a decent workstation card in a few years

G

I am a big fan of Nvidia. I feel disappointed too when it comes to the heat, power consumption. You can basically fry an egg using this bran new Fermi branded pan.

There is a very very strong strength in this card that we have didn't concentrate on. That is the Minimum Frame Rate.

ATI suffers alot when it comes to minimum frame rate in the 5770, 5850 and 5870 card when you crank the details up the maximum in resolution like even 1980x1200.

You will realise these slow down when you reach the scene of high complexity. When you drive in Dirt2, you just cant expect to do a beatiful drift when this slowdown hits you suddenly. When you run and shoot and Crysis, these slowdown is going to make you missing some opponent big time when you play on highest difficulty.

This is by far the worst weakness i see in the AMD cards that Fermi would not suffer.

G

Being disguised as gaming cards, the target for this cards are, without any doubt, productivity. I just can't imagine using Premiere CS5 with an overclocked 6 core i7 and one of these computing beasts under the Mercury engine. :O

G

We all lose here - this is where many people are missing the point. If nVidia delivered a superior product - ATI would bring their prices down, ATI would work harder to get the next product out, we'd have some healthy competition - and that's where the market pushes forward with better products and lower prices.

But now it all stagnates - the real loser here is the consumers - we're stuck with only one option for graphic cards - whose prices are going UP might I add.

So think about that for a second before being gleeful about nvidia sucking - the joke is on you.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]Ok...wait just a darn minute. I read this benchmark article a little bit ago then went to another tech site name FiringSquad and its performance benchmarks pain the 480 and 470 in a completely different light. Why is this?[/citation]

I don't know either. The results on some Japanese site I looked at earlier had the 480 scored overall 46% better when put through a ton of graphics modes in quite a few benches. Similar with Firing Squad.

Unfortunately, your post is already going negative for bringing this up. It's nice to see how well managed Tom's comments sections are; They make it impossible to discuss anything the fanboys don't want to see.

Every site has a totally different outcome, why? Who knows but it sucks and has many confused.

If you would like to comment more on this topic please visit my thread :

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284794-33-believe#t2108896

Cheers ;)

clic

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
I sold my 4870 to buy a 9800GX2, the second time such an error I do not think, it became clear to me that NVIDIA are playing with us. I do not see the sense in that to keep NVIDIA as high prices of old models, such as the GTX.275 and 285, not to mention that he and not available. I'm from Spain and ordering things in "alternate.es/" , there is currently no single card on NVIDIA!!! I think if INTEL entered the game would kill green bastards!!!

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
and here I thought these cards would put some pressure on ATI and would be able to get me a good pair of 5850s... alas, seems like I won't be able to do so... they may even become MORE expensive with this kind of so-called competition >_<

only interested in gaming... don't care for cuda nor any other productivity benchmarks

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I think it might get better with support because it is a drastically different architecture, but that is a curb stop on the face by AMD to NVidia if I have ever seen one. Marginally better where better at all. AMD will drop the price of there cards a little. NVidia is hurt BIG TIME.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]clic[/nom]I sold my 4870 to buy a 9800GX2, the second time such an error I do not think, it became clear to me that NVIDIA are playing with us. I do not see the sense in that to keep NVIDIA as high prices of old models, such as the GTX.275 and 285, not to mention that he and not available. I'm from Spain and ordering things in "alternate.es/" , there is currently no single card on NVIDIA!!! I think if INTEL entered the game would kill green bastards!!![/citation]

So you don't read benchmarks before you buy stuff and that is Nvidia's fault? Great. These threads are getting more amusing as time goes on. Here, I'll thumbs up you so we can end this with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

eggybot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I love gtx480 but i'm disappointed on the power and heat issue, maybe they can fix that part on future release of gtx485

mastax

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Sweet, I always wanted to fry my eggs while I was gaming now I can.

But really this is a crippled card with a high clock yet it hits nearly 100C, good luck overclocking this thing. Now imagine if it wasn't crippled ..... with or without a high clock it would still run way hotter.

I'm sorry this is just like the P4 Prescott fail, over hyped POS. Double the transistor count and you can only pull off 10-15% more performance. What were they thinking at the green labs ?

Just wait 3 months for the ATI cards to drop in price then just OC the cards to match the peformance and they will still run cooler then fermi, I don't think anyone needs to rush and buy the fermi cards 3 months will go fast.

G

Even though the initial performance numbers seem a bit low keep in mind that Nvidia has a strong track record of releasing new drivers with significant performance gains over previous ones. Considering Fermi is a new architecture I bet wee'll see this again. That said Nvidia definitely needs to go 32nm to get the power requirements down.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Um, after reading two other sites, Tom's hardware seems to have a very different result.

Most other places seem to think that NVidia won by about 10% over the AMD cards.(although, if you are a fan of power consumption numbers... you think AMD won ;))

asdasd123123

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
With my experience with Nvidia cards historically I don't see myself ever buying a Nvidia card again.. Since my first card, Riva TNT, I never had a card that physically lasted more than 6-9 months, or lasted performance wise.

Cards that broke for me: TNT, Geforce 2, Geforce 3, Geforce 6600gt, 7600gt, 7800gt, 7900gt, 8800gt, 8800gts. Half the cards were warranty replacements too..

Since I got my 4870 15 months ago, I haven't had a single BSOD, and I can STILL play the higher end settings of new games.

G

If it weren't for physx i would be buying ATI right now. As it stands I'll be waiting for the 512 core part to come out. I hate waiting. Whats funnier is the ATI "winning" arguement. Nvidia still has the fastest part... there really is no "late" in forward moving technology. If you wanted to say some part was "late" lets try taking 2+ years to come up with competitive technology... for six months... and no physics engine, poor scalabilty in multiple card configurations and stuttering issues in even the newest offerings. I'm going to get back to waiting. ciao.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Does anyone know whether Fermi's approach to 3 monitor setups, 2 displays on 1 card and 1 on another, will allow 3 DVI/HDMI monitors to be connected?

If the answer is yes, then that is the one single thing Nvidia has over ATI in this generation thus far. ATI's requirement of an active display port for a 3rd monitor, and display port monitors costing quite a bit more than DVI/HDMI, has cost EyeFinity a bit of its "wow" factor for the enthusiast.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
the only benchmarks where the gtx 480 pulls away from the 5870 are ones where they both get near or over 100fps,

which is pretty much meaningless.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
in sli these cards rock. the people with the money to buy one aren't concerned about power or temperatures. amd needs to get ready and plan for the next cards :) nvidia still kicks their butt, wait until they make a fermi card with dual gpu on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts