GeForce GTX 480 And 470: From Fermi And GF100 To Actual Cards!

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
LOL its was already known that the 480 couldn't top the 5970. But if you take into consideration industry support and drivers Nvidia always gets a bit of advantage in

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I have read through the comments and as are a lot of other posters I am wondering why the Noise tests have been left out of the review? Is this because you didn't have time or is it because the 480 and 470 sound like a 747 taking off?

cmmarco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Its too easy to blame TSMC's 40nm process for Nvidia's problems. The process is a collaborative effort- you cannot just take a design on paper and shrink it and expect it to work. Its like a ship in the bottle, the more complex the ship is, the harder to achieve success. If you can do it, the payoff is better. Since this is a business and not a hobby, you only get so many chances to get it right...ATI seems to have figured it out a little quicker this time around...

Really looking forward to "...GPU/CPU compute story in the works that’ll pit cards from Nvidia and AMD against Intel’s 12-thread i7-980X. "

I hope you find some way of understanding the probability of getting the right results. For example, it would be nice to know how often the people at "folding at home" get bad results from GPUs (not fails, bad results) vs. CPUs. FAH get multiple results for the same problems and discards the outliers. CUDA, GPGPU in general only works if the card is as reliable an an intel or amd cpu.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
HAHA

1. Nvidia recommends that, on boards with three slots available, you use the first and third, leaving room between.

2. In short, GTX 480s back to back is a bad idea.

3. A beefy power supply is a given, though Nvidia hasn’t yet recommended the best wattage for a dual-GPU setup. "

1. so what if your board only has 2 slots?

2. putting 2 gtx480's back to back turns your computer into an oven.

3. nVidia recommends 3 phase to the house at a minimum.

What happened nVidia?? not only did you drop the ball, you kicked it away.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I am still on a 2 x 8800gt sli / asus-p5n/t q6600 setup. I am considering removing the sli and replacing it with a single card.

The question for me is still as it was a month ago. 5870 or 5850. Nvidia has not changed anything.

typhoonii

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
I would have been so much happier for them to spend another month or two getting it right. Seems like such a waste now... Red team it is

airgreek

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
This shows me that ATI is indeed ahead of the technological curve. 256bit vs 384bit (and still can hang with Nvidia), 6 month head start, power consumption, etc. I am sure ATI has something else up their sleeve.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]Ok...wait just a darn minute. I read this benchmark article a little bit ago then went to another tech site name FiringSquad and its performance benchmarks pain the 480 and 470 in a completely different light. Why is this? On their site the 480 in SLI tops all the charts and a single 480 is the top single GPU card in almost every test as well even beating out the 275 and 280 in SLI in one test I saw before coming back here.Tom's and Firingsquad are the only 2 sites I check benchmarks on and they have almost totally different results for this launch. According to the marks here the 480 is not as impressive as it should be and there it is absolutely smoking ATI's wig off. Read both reviews before you draw your conclusions as I did...not that Tom's testing has ever steered me wrong but when I am seeing world domination by the 480 on one site and quite the opposite on the other....leads me to wonder if the Nvidia cards were tested to their full potential.[/citation]

480 in SLI tops all the charts ??? I bet they dont know how to Xfire 5970 :)

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Nvidia spent a little too much time and money on advertising the launch, and far to little on actually making a better card. They have lost focus and therefore lost their crown, maybe they should stick to sueing intel

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]builderbobftw[/nom]Goddamn. I like Nvidia, and have used thier products in the class. But the sad fact of the matter is that GF 100 loses to Cryprus in Price, Preformance and Power. 0/3, Way to go Nvidia!!!!![/citation]
You obviously were not paying attention. ATI wins in price and power, but your displaying your status as a fanboy if you think the single GPU in the 5870 is any faster than the single GPU in the 480.

ATI still wins though, 2 to 1.

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Someone mentioned what will happen when they release a full 512 version of the card, well what happens when ati releases their 5990 or whatever it will be called, a dual gpu card that utilizes the 5870 cores not the 5850 cores as the 5970 does which will drive the price of the 5970 down even more which is already the same price for better performance.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]You obviously were not paying attention. ATI wins in price and power, but your displaying your status as a fanboy if you think the single GPU in the 5870 is any faster than the single GPU in the 480.ATI still wins though, 2 to 1.[/citation]

there wont be any dual fermi cards soon..so its still 3-0

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
Ugh, Nvidia really dropped the ball. The worst part is the GTX cards are so expensive. Many people were hoping ATI would drop the price of the 5000 cards, but ATI really has NO reason to drop the price.

utgardaloki

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Let's just ditch both companies and go for the "end all performance wars" kind of technology. At least concerning geometry calculations that is. Are you impressed with tesselation due to the bump it gives regarding geometry density? Well have a crack at this.

Been waiting for something like this for some time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-ATtrImCx4

If point cloud data cuppled with the algorithm these guys now say they have ashieved then isn't it time to tell both nvidia and ati to wisen up or simply step aside?

Hard I know but one can dream and I would love to see something like this realised.

Status
Not open for further replies.