GeForce GTX 480M: AVADirect’s W880CU Is Packing The Heat

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Grillforce GTX480m = Portable heat generator."

I second nforce4max's comment. These things need dual water coolers! If your computer has 2x120mm fans plus your power supply it still isn't going to be enough to cool these puppys.

nVidia needs to read the book Intel's reading drop the voltage and up the cores. These things run at 70 degrees C from the reviews I've read!

I definietly don't want one of these in a laptop! Broiled thighs anyone?

Yeah it made me laugh when Theo said that the GTX480M was an 'End to renaming' as if the HD4870 never existed, and the GTX480M wasn't a renaming of the GTX465, and that renaming a desktop HD5770 as MR HD5870 was anywhere near the G92 ridiculousness which went through 3 generations of names.

Like you I like that this is a truly new GPU, better to have more features in the mobile space, even if they require being plugged in in order to get full use of it. Better to have the option than not.

My only concern about power draw is the associated extended heat issues especially in a laptop chassis, it could get very warm for the desktop-replacement crowd if they do things like F@H, and I would worry about the health of other parts even with the big heatpipes, but that's a concern for both working all out, would just love to see the results for both of a 24 hr F@H (or better yet MilkyWay@H) run and the effect on system temps (including HDD).

Also, quick question, do you know if they've added HDMI 1.4 output support on AVA's and other laptops?

There's no mention of it, and one nV's site they don't put it in the list of standard features and based on past experience I've learned not to assume desktop features will follow to laptop. :??:

Status
Not open for further replies.