Geforce gtx 710 wont work in optiplex 755 help

marshall21

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
I bought a pny geforce gtx 710 for my dell optiplex 755 the card goes in the pci slot but i believe the motherboard is only giving the card 75watts of power causing my computer is freezing up and lagging but when i turn the resolution down to like 1280x720 it works but when its at the recommend resolution witch is like 3000 it lags but it says on the motherboard slot 1 pci e ×16 (16.1) 75w slot 2 and 3 theres no writing just says slot 2 and 3 but the ports are backwards i would have to turn the card around but then if i do that the card still does not fit any helpfull tips to where i can get a card in here to where i can game lol

Solution
You could have went straight to win 10 for free, you still have that option. Use the assistive technology upgrade found here. http://

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
A 710 GT only needs 19 Watts max which will work on even a 225W supply, if the Card/Supply had a issue you would get a BSOD or it wouldn't boot at all. It sounds like you have a software issue so I would suggest looking at making sure you have your drivers updated and no conflicts any where else. A 710 GT is a business end card and not all that strong so basic tasks like Youtube and browsing would be fine but gaming beyond 720p might not be so good.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Manufactures don't list less than a 300w supply, that card draws 19w and you have either a 275w,280w,305w or 320w depending on what case and your region. All of those can safely handle a low end business card like that. You are expecting to much out of that GPU, gaming on it is only going to happen with reduced settings and resolution. The card is capable of above 1080p but for basic browsing and video playback.

Possibly you have a UEFI version of the card which won't work with the Legacy BIOS in the 755. the PSU isn't the problem (unless it's broken). Look for a GTX750Ti with legacy BIOS . My PNY GTX750 was legacy. You didn't say what size your 755 is. Mimi Tower takes full height cards, all others low propile.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

PNY 710 GT was only offered in legacy, The 720 GT and up have the option for both. From what is described the op is just asking to much out of a low power low end business card, 720p gaming is what I would expect and even that would be with reduced settings in most all titles.

This shows what I am saying. 720p lowest settings and around 30fps is what you expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8syOSFndkRo

"my computer is freezing up and lagging but when i turn the resolution down to like 1280x720 it works"

If you are just on your desktop, at the native resolution of your monitor, it doesn't perform right? Or do you mean in games only? This is not a gaming card. You're lucky to get playable framerate at 720p with a card like this. It should handle Windows desktop just fine though.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
You could have went straight to win 10 for free, you still have that option. Use the assistive technology upgrade found here. http://

Solution