GeForce GTX 780M, 770M, And 765M: Scaling Vs. Radeon HD 8970M

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rajangel

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
@sjc1017 In Korea, you can get an MSI laptop with an 8970m for about $1000 (1,100,000 krw @ EmartMall). 4700mq, 120gb 840 ssd, 1tb 7200, 16gb ram, 48cm (18inch). In other words, they charge what they know people are willing to pay.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's a hard measurement to take seriously if you don't set a fixed 100% fan speed, which is why this author didn't take it very seriously. But the ambient temperatures for the past couple months have been 16° to 18° Celsius.

You could do that. And if you were planning to buy a $10,000 system, you SHOULD do that. The point is that when GAMING is the only thing that matters, any single improvement that makes your ENTIRE system GAME 13% better makes the ENTIRE system 13% more valuable. You can't win an argument against that, which is also why the System Builder Marathon machines rarely run FX processors.

LOL we had a running conversation with the German team about this because they wanted to use the SAME number when discussing things from either perspective. Eventually the leader of the US site insisted that the German's weren't wrong, but that math is different in Germany. LOL.
Anyway, the two different perspectives were used because each was the winner's perspective: Advantage 8970M? 33% less expensive. Advantage 780M? 13% more performance.
And when you swim 2/3 of the way across the English Channel, you prefer to hear "33% left to go!" rather than "50% farther!"

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
I have the Mythlogic Chaos 1313, which is a rebranded Clevo W230ST. A nice 13.3 inch gaming laptop that has an i7-4700MQ, and a 765M GPU. It's performance is comparable to a Geforce GTX 650 Ti. Faster than an Xbox One, because this GPU actually uses GDDR5. Which means that I can actually do 1080p gaming. :p

Great as a lightweight, portable gaming rig, and as a living room Steam Machine. If anybody is interested in pics and benchmarks, then check out my imgur album.

https://imgur.com/a/PDUre

tableholder

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Gaming laptop, there's an oxymoron if I ever heard one. The "twist" in the value analysis changes nothing. Hell I could play with numbers to prove that an Intel i7-4960X is a "better value" than an AMD FX-6300 just by dropping it into a $10,000 system. Playing the percentages instead of the actual dollars makes it look better than it actually is because even though the percentage is smaller, it's still a smaller percentage of a larger number and ends up being the same. You say that the 8970M is 33% less expensive while the 780M is 13% faster? Man, you really do know how to screw with numbers don't you? The 780M is indeed 13% faster than the 8970M but it is a FULL 50% MORE EXPENSIVE than the 8970. Why are you trying so hard to word it like nVidia is the better value? No tech journalist is stupid enough to do it by accident!

I totally agree with you!

It seems that the author is a hard pressed nvidia packmule.

Also he also did not stress out that the GTX780m is a downclocked desktop GTX 680 he only stressed about the 8970M is a downclocked desktop HD7870.

Considering that we are pitting a downclocked desktop GTX 680 vs a downclocked desktop HD7870, two totally uneven and totally different league cards, the GTX780m should trounce the 8970m by more than 13% to justify its 50% increase in price. Think about that.

tableholder

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014

Well said, you hit the nail on the head.

I too have a gaming desktop and a gaming laptop. The versatility and convenience a gaming laptop provides is insurmountable. One just cannot sit around the house all his life to caress and drool over his gaming desktop, we have grown up duties to do outside the house, out there, in the real world, but the gamer in us will always be there its what we have been accustomed to ever since we were bestowed with our own consciousness.

So when one has to leave his man cave due to said grown up duties, he takes the gaming with him. And THAT by all means necessitating a purchase of a gaming laptop.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's just not an honest analysis of the article. The article compares the 780M to the 670.

The author of the above comment must be hard-pressed for reasons to complain.

tableholder

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014

Why did you have to compare the 780m with a desktop 670 like representative sample? Should'nt it be compared to a gtx 680 which it identically shares its exact specifications except for clockspeeds?

While you compared the 8970m to its identical spec'd desktop card?

If you were comparing to relative performance on a desktop card, the 780m comparison to a desktop 670 would have been acceptable. Only if you have also compared the 8970m to a desktop 7850.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Because GTX 670 is a bigger naming downgrade than "underclocked GTX 680". And it's also a closer comparison (105 GT/s v 102 GT/s).

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Performance per dollar??$2k for a laptop is considered "expensive". For the same price, most anyone here can put together a desktop system that will beat any of these laptops. and probably last 2x as long.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Duhh....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Food per dollar? $6 for a bag of oranges is considered "expensive". For the same price, most anyone here can buy TWO bags of apples that will beat any of these bags of oranges in caloric content. and probably last them 2x as long.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
Man, there is just no love on this thread.... I love the fact that you can even get this kind of performance in a laptop! I was thinking my current laptop could last me another 2 years (just upgraded the HDD to SSD), but after reading this, I'm looking out at the possibilities... And for all the laptop haters out there, just don't hate man! I have 4 gaming PCs in my house (shared among me and my 3 boys), and I STILL want to have the capability to game when I'm mobile.

Problem is, I couldn't be caught dead traveling with one of these guys.... just imagine giving a presentation to an EVP of a bank, showing up with an Origin gaming laptop - just wouldn't work out very well. No, I need to find a well built business class laptop with a 780m under the hood.... that's what I'm talkin' about.....

Finally a financial analysis that makes sense. The silliness that recommended for example that buying faster memory wasn't worth it cause it was a 20% increase in memory price resulted in only a 3-5% increase in performance was ridiculous..... same for coolers, same for GFX, same for everything else.... an increase in overall system performance can ONLY sensibly be weighed in terms of overall system cost.As for the hi performance gaming notebooks being an oxymoron or unreliable, all I can say is 1) try it and 2) buy from a reputable seller. I use my systems primarily for AutoCAD and a side benefit is that what's good for AutoCAD is good for gaming tho I don't get to play much. But I have a 4.6Ghz 4770k desktop w/ twin 780s w/ 25% OC all watercooled w/ 144 Hz monitor and I have a year old laptop w/ 675MX and when I do get a chance to game, at least w/ most titles, I'm as likely to use one as the other. Metro and Crysis I played on the desktop but others like FarCry 3 were the same on both. FC3 barely wakes up the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.