GeForce GTX590 at PAX East; Asus, EVGA Only?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Yay to a 1,000$ price tag?

I don't see how they could possibly sell this thing for less then Intel does their over-priced Extreme line. You'd have to reduce a lot of "features" just to nail a 700$ price tag.

Not to mention the cooling unit required to keep 2 580 cores cold, plus couple gigabytes of high speed memory, and all the voltage capacitors.

Though I'm happy with my single 580, I am curious how this would perform. But I'd have to pass on buying. My card is about overkill as it is for everything, 2 of them would be ridiculous.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
It has been around in the news that these cards will have handpicked GF110 GPUs. This restricts the no. of cards to a small no. So, it seems likely that only two manufacturers are supposed to distribute the card.

G

Suddenly my HD 5970 is looking long in the tooth, and I thought
it would stay top of the pile for longer... oh well.

Upgrades here I come!

siliconchampion

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
It seems to me like power consumption on this card would be fairly astronomical. Since one 580 uses something over 250 watts, what types of concessions are they going to make to clock rates and core counts to fit within the allowable wattage for the PCI-E standard?

twist3d1080

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Not to troll but, I bet these are hand picked gpus a la the Asus Mars II Gtx 480 X2. I would also bet that these are gonna be limited quantities of cards produced. Any want to speculate on price and clocks?

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]siliconchampion[/nom]It seems to me like power consumption on this card would be fairly astronomical. Since one 580 uses something over 250 watts, what types of concessions are they going to make to clock rates and core counts to fit within the allowable wattage for the PCI-E standard?[/citation]

Most likely decrease clock rates. Correct me if I'm wrong: since clock rates increase heat exponentially, lowering it a bit might have a good impact on heat dissipation.
So instead of seeing 1gpu@772mhz, we might see 2gpus@675mhz, or something like that.

I'm a bit skeptical about this gtx590. nVidia does have higher power drawn on their gpus, and that's the limiting factor here. Maybe even with 2 gtx580 it won't be able to beat HD6990, cause they had to be downclocked so hard. And even if it does beat the 6990, I bet it's going to cost a lot more.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
They typically do lower the clock speeds for the dual gpu cards. They did for the 295. Still, I bet this card will be an absolute POWERHOUSE and I can't wait for PAX East!!! I do notice there is no 3-Way SLi support. Would it be too much to ask for a Hexa-core GPU??!?
Can this play Crysis 2?? On three screens??? IN 3-D!!!???!!! o_0

al360ex

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
I found a leaked picture of the upcoming GTX 590's PCB from Galaxy, check it out :

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Nvidia_Readies_Dual_GPU_GTX_590_for_March/551-114610-581.html

It looks like there'll be 2 8-pin connector, for a total of 450w.

There'll be a single SLI connector.

3 DVI outputs, this likely means that it will be Nvidia Surround Ready.

There also seems to be 8x256MB memory modules per GPU. This will allow for 2GB of dedicated memory for each GPU (4GB total).

With two of these, one will probably be able to heat his house throughout winter !

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I love how there are complaints about power supplies. Anyone looking at one of these will have 1000w or better anyway and heat wont be an issue for someone paying 600$ + for wherever the hell this card prices out at.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]^ LOL 3 x PCI-E 8 pin power plugs?[/citation]

LOL why dont you look at the PCB and tell me if you see 3 plugs LOL.

I love when people LOL and look dumb trying to LOL.

Theres pictures of the 6990 on the front page for you to look at LOL.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]It's gonna run sooo hot that only Asus and EVGA are willing to warranty these space heaters. LOL[/citation]

LOL once again that joke is played out LOL.

Again, the 6990 in on the front page.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]Most likely decrease clock rates. Correct me if I'm wrong: since clock rates increase heat exponentially, lowering it a bit might have a good impact on heat dissipation. So instead of seeing 1gpu@772mhz, we might see 2gpus@675mhz, or something like that.I'm a bit skeptical about this gtx590. nVidia does have higher power drawn on their gpus, and that's the limiting factor here. Maybe even with 2 gtx580 it won't be able to beat HD6990, cause they had to be downclocked so hard. And even if it does beat the 6990, I bet it's going to cost a lot more.[/citation]
No, it's voltage that increases temperatures exponentially. Frequency gives a linear increase.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Even if the GTX590 may be faster than the AMD 6990 (we will see) I will still go with AMD purely for the power efficiency. I am sure that the performance difference will be minimal. Also I only see 2 x 8 pin power plugs, did I miss something?? Pic prolly not even a real GTX590...lol.

Darkv1

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]littleleo[/nom]At the prices these will be selling for I don't think they will be flying off the shelf.[/citation]

Yeah...I'm a bit scared to hear what they will want to charge for these things...

Status
Not open for further replies.