News GeForce MX550 GPU Rises Above Ryzen 6000 RDNA 2 APUs

MartianM

Commendable
May 21, 2021
The maths on the averages is wrong. For the games shown on the chart, the 6800 is 192% faster and the MX550 is only 185% faster. Excluding the two titles with no MX result, the 6800 average increases to 196%. So the premise and title of the article is wrong

Reactions: Rdslw

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
Exactly what I was think. Of it had dedicated memory that alone would probably make up the difference, and let's not forget about the cost and packaging advantages

2GB of VRAM is killing MX550, it seems not bad for 35W, but that 2GB of ram is no-go for a lot of titles.
what's the point of dedicated GPU when it just dont have ram to run stuff ? I belive that MOST AAA titles will do work like metro did, 65FPS on AMD APU, and ~20 from this dedicated gpu.

TLDR: dead tech on arival, revival of MX450 which is revival of MX350 which is revival of MX250, and nothing really changed there since 2018, like on intel side 2014-2019.

If nothing else this shows how powerful the RDNA2 APUs are on the GPU side. You can do some light gaming all while having the excellent power draw enabled by not having a dGPU. I could very easily see myself getting a laptop with an RDNA2 APU in it sometime in the future.

Reactions: mitch074
While this is certainly a win for the APU if taken in a vacuum, it's not going to be pair with such a processor anyway. A cursory glance elsewhere tells me the MX450 was used in laptops with a midrange to lower midrange CPU, which would have a worse performing iGPU in it. So while the comparison is interesting, it's not exactly representative of where the MX 550 is going to end up.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
If nothing else this shows how powerful the RDNA2 APUs are on the GPU side. You can do some light gaming all while having the excellent power draw enabled by not having a dGPU. I could very easily see myself getting a laptop with an RDNA2 APU in it sometime in the future.
If you thought RDNA2 inside a APU was good, wait until RDNA3 hits APU's.

And imagine what DeskTop CPU's will be able to do with 4-6 CU's integrated into it's cIOD with RDNA2 & better GPU architecture.

Hopefully AMD doesn't gimp GPU performance.

If you thought RDNA2 inside a APU was good, wait until RDNA3 hits APU's.

And imagine what DeskTop CPU's will be able to do with 4-6 CU's integrated into it's cIOD with RDNA2 & better GPU architecture.

Hopefully AMD doesn't gimp GPU performance.
AMD will probably going to keep RDNA 2 for quite sometime. Just look how long AMD keep Vega iGPU around. AMD skip RDNA and go straight to RDNA 2. AMD probably going to skip RDNA 3 and updates the iGPU to RDNA4.

On the performance side rather than AMD gimping the performance the issue most likely being limited by external factor such as bandwidth provided by system RAM.

Reactions: mitch074

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
AMD will probably going to keep RDNA 2 for quite sometime. Just look how long AMD keep Vega iGPU around. AMD skip RDNA and go straight to RDNA 2. AMD probably going to skip RDNA 3 and updates the iGPU to RDNA4.

On the performance side rather than AMD gimping the performance the issue most likely being limited by external factor such as bandwidth provided by system RAM.
I still want a single 2 GB GDDR6 RAM Chip & 2GB DDR5 RAM Chip connected directly to the cIOD to act as VRAM & L4 eDRAM respectively.

Given the nature of a iGPU on the cIOD, a 2GB GDDR6 RAM Chip could really help with the performance of the iGPU.