News GeForce RTX 3070 Mobile Could Bring GeForce RTX 2080 Ti-Like Performance to Laptops

Oct 1, 2020
The one thing about the launch of the 3080 and 3090 that concerns me is the pushing of the power envelope, meaning this generation is likely to be one where the difference between desktop and laptop equivalent GPU performance is to be quite high. It would be nice if they stuck to a power envelope and increased performance within that rather than pushing higher power use and heat generation.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"GeForce RTX 3070 Mobile Could Bring GeForce RTX 2080 Ti-Like Performance to Laptops"
iu

Reactions: damfs

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
yeah the 3070 is already a 2080ti like and consume 30W less , that's not enough for laptops :/
No, that's not my reason to doubt.

1)Laptop parts do not scale at the same level as their desktop counterparts. They simple can't, due to the package and power restrictions.
A 2080(desktop) can pull like 300w of power. A 2080(mobile)? LOL, heck no - half that amount of power, and then some, with all the variants!
A 2080(mobile) is more comparable to a 2060/1660(desktop).

Then why don't companies market their mobile devices to what they actually relative to?
Who says they're required to? ;)
Same old marketing BS, the way I see it, so they can charge more for less.

2)Ampere is shown to be even more power hungry than Turing was, so I expect Ampere Mobile to be even more crippled on power consumption than the latter was.

3)I haven't forgotten cpus, but it's the same deal with them.
Hopefully Intel has gotten their act together with the upcoming Tiger Lake mobile.
Ryzen 4000(mobile) is really good - just as fast, and even more power efficient.

I'm not a fan of gaming laptops. The darn things are an oxymoron.

Reactions: saltyGoat11

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
No, that's not my reason to doubt.

1)Laptop parts do not scale at the same level as their desktop counterparts. They simple can't, due to the package and power restrictions.

There was a time in the recent past when they did.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Mobile vs NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Desktop)

"The Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 for laptops (formerly known as GTX 1080M) is the mobile counterpart of the desktop GeForce GTX 1080. It uses the same GP104 chip and was officially announced at 16. August. The performance should be around +-10% of a non overclocked desktop GTX 1080. "

Reactions: gg83

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
RTX 3070 Mobile is the desktop RTX 3060 Ti ... With TDP of 150 Watts ...

I doubt it will reach Desktop RTX 2080 ti ... it will reach Desktop RTX 2080 !

Mobile RTX 2080 was a desktop RTX 2080 with TDP of 150 watts instead of 215 watts ...

So expect the RTX 3070 Mobile to be the same performance of DESKTOP RTX 2080.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
... It would be nice if they stuck to a power envelope and increased performance within that...
Yes it would. But Nvidia didn't go very far in that direction this time. I expect RDNA2 to be a longer step in efficiency.

yeah the 3070 is already a 2080ti like and consume 30W less , that's not enough for laptops :/
That's also my thought. The Mobile 3070 might beat the 2080 Ti Mobile though...

There was a time in the recent past when they did.
"The Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 for laptops (formerly known as GTX 1080M) ... The performance should be around +-10% of a non overclocked desktop GTX 1080."
They can reduce power consumption by binning based on voltage requirement.
  • Reduce the clocks a little.
  • Reduce the voltage.
  • Cut off boost frequency faster, and possibly not go quite as high.
Then you can have about the same performance at some specific loads.

Jim90

Distinguished
"RTX 3070 Mobile Could Bring GeForce RTX 2080 Ti-Like Performance to Laptops"

@tomshardware, you're supposed to be speaking to a tech-literate audience!!
Looking at current mobile gfx solutions, we know that is plain incorrect - and we're sensibly excluding those extreme (cost) 'mobile' solutions with apparent desktop components...which are still significantly compromised due to the blatantly obvious constraints.

However, we can't beat the excitement of seeing that kind of performance inside a laptop.
Well, you won't, at least with this generation of hardware. The way these laptop parts work is they massively cut the clocks and power limits to make them work within the limitations of a laptop. A 2080 SUPER Max-Q, for example, performs roughly on par with a desktop 2060. Perhaps a laptop 3070 will manage to perform on par with a desktop 2070? Deceptive product naming at its finest. : 3

Reactions: Phaaze88