News GeForce RTX 4070 vs Radeon RX 6950 XT: Which GPU Is Better?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zx128k

Reputable
As pointed out in this same article, the RT performance on BOTH is garbage for the price point. So if you toss out the RT for the 6950XT, then you also toss it out as a valid argument for the 4070. It doesn't matter that the 4070 is 25% better when it's 25% and deliver like 5-10 extra frames on average and diminishes with resolution and memory usage.

And one final comment on the AI part. Until games don't start using "AI" (call it whatever you want within the FP8 and 16 capabilities), then the "AI" marketing term is completely meaningless and useless for gamers. Whoever is going to work with any form of serious Modeling Language, they won't be buying in this price range. And if they do, it's gaming performance won't even be part of the equation. That's like cross-shopping a Ford F250 and a McLaren 720S: "but the McLaren can pull my trailers!".

I'll stop here. You're, again, clutching at straws really badly.

EDIT: The article made a sudden disappearance from the top list. I hope you guys revisit and republish instead.

Regards.
The 4070 is an objectivity better card. DLSS is a big selling point for nVidia cards. Part of why nVidia controls the market and AMD don't. AMD's market share is basically nothing.

Cherry picked or not, they are all AAA games and very recent releases. So that makes them VERY relevent.

RT just eats up memory too as bounding boxes are setup
Cherry picked means you use the exception to try to prove your point. The exception cause by bad software optimisation for PC hardware. For one of the games nVidia gained upto a 75% performance uplift from one of their patches.

This is a logical fallacy and proves nothing at all. No unbiased person would act the way you are.

Last edited:

T1125P

Commendable
Jul 10, 2021
I honestly would not invest in older tech. like RDNA 2. AMD just needs to stop comparing their older not so efficient GPU"s against Nvidia's and just shut up and announce and release their 7800 XT/7700 XT already. As for myself, I'm tired of Nvidia and my 3070, most likely I will go with the 7800 XT, hopefully it can hold it's own against the 4070, at least it has 16GB VRAM. I favor no GPU company I like to call them the 3 stooges. Intel I can't even consider and I feel they are not taking the GPU industry seriously, they are a joke. Intel not having any newer GPU's until 2024 is just plain dumb.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
The 4070 is an objectivity better card. DLSS is a big selling point for nVidia cards. Part of why nVidia controls the market and AMD don't. AMD's market share is basically nothing.

Cherry picked means you use the exception to try to prove your point. The exception cause by bad software optimisation for PC hardware. For one of the games nVidia gained upto a 75% performance uplift from one of their patches.

This is a logical fallacy and proves nothing at all. No unbiased person would act the way you are.

Considering that DLSS is not in the majority of games, isn't using that also cherry picking to fit your argument?

Also just because Nvidia outsells AMD does not mean that all Nvidia cards beat AMD cards, intel outsells AMD on the CPU side does that mean that Intel CPU's are all better at gaming or any other task?

I would also like to add that there are many reasons for why Nvidia has such a market lead over AMD and I would also like to add that them having that lead is not in your or anyone's best interest. DLSS becoming an industry standard for games would be a catastrophe for PC gaming because it would be the end of AMD and Intel in the dGPU business. If you think that is not a bad thing then you are an idiot. Articles like this that just bash AMD for the sake of bashing AMD and not giving it its dues when it deserves it is one of the reasons why Nvidia is so prevalent, they can afford to spread the cash on marketing.

You should remember well the CPU dark ages when Intel gave us refresh, after refresh, after refresh because AMD could no longer compete with them. You think Nvidia will be any different? do you know any other monopolist that didn't abuse its market position at the expense of consumers?

You can argue that overall the 4070 is a better card (though I will still argue that it very much depends on the the games you play) The issue is that the 6950 still has far more raster performance, so any game that doesn't have DLSS or for anyone that doesn't like to use it even in the limited games it is available for the 6950 is a better buy and this piece does not in anyway indicate that.

It's going to be the future if you like it or not. More unoptimized overloaded stuff is coming out EVERY SINGLE DAY.

And you are trying to have your cake and eat it to. The article points to path tracing in cyber punk. Well isn't that an isolated single cherry picked case for a very specific subset of games? Yup

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
DLSS is a big selling point for nVidia cards
and RT is all nvidia has that makes their cards " better "

if the games a person pays doesnt have RT, and the same person has no use for dlss, then it comes down to rasterization performance, and for the most part, geforce and radeon are close enough where it really comes down to price, and where i am, i can get a top end xtx for almost the same price and an entry level 4080.

this is where i am, and i am looking more at the radeon cards then the geforce cards

Colif

Win 11 Master
One of the videos I linked does bring up a good reason to buy a 4070. Case size. Provided AIB haven't made their models super big, there is a good chance it will fit in your case more than a 6950xt will. recent years cases havee been shrinking, Its a good thing I bought the Meshify S2 & not the C as my GPU wouldn't fit in the smaller case.

Power is also a good reason, most PC will have PSU that can run a 4070, the 6950xt might end up costing more when you add on a new PSU.

Really what people value depends on the games they play. I got a 7900xt as most of the games I play don't use RT so I won't miss it.

There is no right answer, only opinions.

Last edited:
Comparison of these 2 cards is absolutely okay even though one is older tech, you know why? And why the author decided to test them against each other? Because they have similar price...which he then throws out of the window and uses MSRP...
I absolutely did NOT use MSRP. The specs table lists the MSRP for both, but in the pricing section I talk about the RX 6950 XT retail price. AMD did a short-term promotion at the 4070 launch where cards were $599. Now, it's $619 minimum on Newegg, and $629 minimum on Amazon. That's only $20 or $30, but $30 is a 5% increase at this price so that starts to become significant. My point on pricing is that one is basically guaranteed ($599 for RTX 4070), the other is more a case of it may or may not be available for $599. If you can find them for the same price, sure, it's a tie. Right now, you can't (without resorting to used cards on eBay), giving the 4070 the slight advantage.

And there's every reason to expect the supply of RX 6950 XT (and other Navi 21) cards to dry up in the coming months, so I also had to consider that aspect. RX 6900 XT costs $987 on Newegg. Why? Because supply is effectively gone. They're shipped from Hong Kong / China and overpriced at that. I'm sure most fully functional Navi 21 GPUs are going into 6950 XT now, but I'm equally sure there are now extra orders for more chips coming in, so what's in the market is all there is. That means pricing can fluctuate a lot, and we've seen that over the past four months with the various RX 69xx/6800 cards. One week a 6950 might cost $600, the next week it might be $700 or even $900, and then back to $650 or whatever.

zx128k

Reputable
Considering that DLSS is not in the majority of games, isn't using that also cherry picking to fit your argument?

Also just because Nvidia outsells AMD does not mean that all Nvidia cards beat AMD cards, intel outsells AMD on the CPU side does that mean that Intel CPU's are all better at gaming or any other task?

I would also like to add that there are many reasons for why Nvidia has such a market lead over AMD and I would also like to add that them having that lead is not in your or anyone's best interest. DLSS becoming an industry standard for games would be a catastrophe for PC gaming because it would be the end of AMD and Intel in the dGPU business. If you think that is not a bad thing then you are an idiot. Articles like this that just bash AMD for the sake of bashing AMD and not giving it its dues when it deserves it is one of the reasons why Nvidia is so prevalent, they can afford to spread the cash on marketing.

You should remember well the CPU dark ages when Intel gave us refresh, after refresh, after refresh because AMD could no longer compete with them. You think Nvidia will be any different? do you know any other monopolist that didn't abuse its market position at the expense of consumers?

You can argue that overall the 4070 is a better card (though I will still argue that it very much depends on the the games you play) The issue is that the 6950 still has far more raster performance, so any game that doesn't have DLSS or for anyone that doesn't like to use it even in the limited games it is available for the 6950 is a better buy and this piece does not in anyway indicate that.
Outselling by a massive amount so that you control the market, is called a total victory in capitalism. nVidia no long compete with AMD, they smashed them completely. nVidia cards are what customers have and that is what software needs to target so they can make money.

4090 is a better overall card, its a proven fact. I don't have to argue anything. People who support AMD and get AMD gpus. Who look down on RT and DLSS. Well customers voted against you completely. AMD got wiped out.

FSR/FSR 2 etc has to be open source and support nVidia gpus because with AMD's market share it would be DoA.

No one in their right mind should get a RX 6000 series card or a RTX 3000 series card. 100% shouldn't touch the RX 6950XT. The 4070 is cheaper, approx. same raster and far far better RT performance. Support for DLSS3/frame generation. Complete madness getting the slower 6950xt with less features. Yes RT matters, the market voted.

Outselling by a massive amount so that you control the market, is called a total victory in capitalism. nVidia no long compete with AMD, they smashed them completely. nVidia cards are what customers have and that is what software needs to target so they can make money.

4090 is a better overall card, its a proven fact. I don't have to argue anything. People who support AMD and get AMD gpus. Who look down on RT and DLSS. Well customers voted against you completely. AMD got wiped out.

FSR/FSR 2 etc has to be open source and support nVidia gpus because with AMD's market share it would be DoA.

No one in their right mind should get a RX 6000 series card or a RTX 3000 series card. 100% shouldn't touch the RX 6950XT. The 4070 is cheaper, approx. same raster and far far better RT performance. Support for DLSS3/frame generation. Complete madness getting the slower 6950xt with less features. Yes RT matters, the market voted.
Jensen,

Don't you have enough jackets to cover up your small...

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
People feeding trolls, what a waste of time. Let's look at reality

Tech Power UP review of both 4070 and 6950XT
25 Games Average 4K Ultra Settings
6950XT=3090Ti= 98FPS
6800XT=4070= 73FPS
25 Game Average 6950XT 34% Faster 4K Raster

Tech Power UP RT 4K
The 6950XT equals or better the RTX4070 on 6 out of 9 games, and the other three it wasn't much below

Guru3D review of both cards, 4K Ultra Settings
Hitman 3 144 vs 109 (+32%)
AC Valhalla 79 vs 67 (+18%)
Shadow TR 99 vs 84 (+18%)
Far Cry 6 92 vs 73 (+26%)
Witcher 3 113 vs 92 (+23%)
5 Game Average 6950XT +26% Faster 4K Raster

Guru3D RT test at 4K ultra settings
Formula 1 RT 44 vs 46 (-5%)
Callisto Protocol RT 31 vs 33 (-6%)
Forspoken RT 38 vs 39 (-2%)
3 Game Average RTX4070 +4% Faster 4K RT, the 6950XT matches the 4070 in 3 out of 3 games

Linus Tech Tips review of the 4070
Average of games at 4K Ultra Settings
6950XT +26%
4070Ti +25%
6800XT +10%
4070 base

Summarizing.. by his findings Jarred tested a 6800XT, not a 6950XT and was hoping his readers were clowns, not happened.

Another reality check.. RT, DLSS and FG are gimmicks, aka selling features, not real world options that people use to turn their games into a smoother or better looking experience . You can AB any game on YouTube with RT on vs off to realize all it does is to make reflective surfaces to look like unrealistic mirrors, shadows softier, and fps to drop like hel. DLSS takes a beautiful 4K image and turns it into a 1440p one with artificial sharpening to give you ...... yes you know it, a "boost" in fps so small it doesn't make any difference in practical play while FG just fake numbers and lag your game creating artifacts in the process. People who actually defend Nvidia seems to got stuck in their heads benchmarks from games like Minecraft, Portal RTX or Cyberpunk not realizing those are heavily sponsored games BY Nvidia to market their selling features as greater options than the competition best selling price point. In those games, yes playing with Nvidia is a smoother and better looking experience, but, a shady and unfair competition practice because the game was coded specifically to give a hit on hardwares from competition which translates to hitting everybody who didn't want to buy their product. If AMD did the same we would be like having to buy two consoles because there would be games that plays on one but not the other and that's not the experience ANY gamer is looking forward when buying a PC.

To end this silly discussion brought up by a heavily biased reviewer the 6950XT costs $200 less than a 4070Ti and got 4GB extra VRAM which everybody knows do make a difference at the exact same raster performance while the RTX4070 at $600 is at the same level of a 6800XT or RTX3080, which are both selling as of today around $500 and hence are smarter buys unless power consume is that really of a bid deal to you. Now to call the 6950XT a worst card than a 4070.... some people should just feel a$hamed really.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Founders Edition Review

average-fps-1920-1080.png

6900xt 176.7 and the 4070 168.6. Worth it nope. The 6950xt is more expensive and far slower in RT.
relative-performance-rt-1920-1080.png

Ray Tracing wise the 4070 is closer to the 7900xt. This overall performance no 6950xt can match. Even the fastest 6950xt factory overclocked version cannot match a decent 3080 10GB in RT. This is the techpowerup review you sight. Why are my numbers different from yours.

index.php

Hitman 4070 massively ahead of the 6900xt.
index.php

4070 behind massively but expected in this game.
index.php

4070 ~ 6900xt.
index.php

Beats the 6900xt massively.
index.php

Beats the 6900xt.
index.php

Close to the 7900xt. Beats the 6950xt massively. Then destroys all 6000 series cards in RT by a huge amount.

Tomshardware.

Nd3FKdCKE4BrTfgEv9kCGL-1200-80.png

4070 faster than 6950xt in raster.
iXVFZfcuwKUhZoAcq6KTzL-1200-80.png

Massively faster in RT/DXR.
VhdZvDR38QtRfomeAwu5NL-1200-80.png

1440p both equal in raster.
jr9QRFH2DPryJBJCivXcTL-1200-80.png

Equal only in raster at 4k. 6950xt cannot beat a 3080 or 4070.
4K RT
4LiMrqnApPD4JUFvjuRSDM-1200-80.png

4070 is equal to a 7900xt, massive performance lead over the 6950xt.

Why didn't you use this source? You are posting on tomshardware's forums afterall. O wait the 6950xt is slower on tomshardware. The 4070 is a far better. Better at 1080p and better in RT. DLSS frame generation puts it massively ahead in upscaling.

That's not to say that the RX 6950 XT is a bad card. It's plenty fast for most people, and if you already own the card — or one of the other Navi 21-based cards from the RX 6800/6900-series — you should be okay skipping this generation. But if you're in the market for an upgrade and are eying these two cards that nominally cost the same $600, there are plenty of good reasons to go with Nvidia's new RTX 4070.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
Why no big lead in this review

rtx-4070-4k-average.jpg

Just 1.9fps difference at 4k, this is an equal result. Could who wins and loses be upto the games picked? The resolution and settings used? RT performance the difference is large.

Conclusion.
In terms of pure gaming, you likely won’t see much of a difference between the RTX 4070 and the RX 6950 XT.
AMD is better in some titles and Nvidia wins in others; all in all, the cards are really close, with AMD claiming a small lead. However, accounting for ray tracing is, once again, very important.

Without ray tracing, Nvidia’s RTX 4070 was around 15% slower across the board. This makes it fairly simple: if you care about ray tracing, you should stick to Nvidia. Similarly, the introduction of DLSS 3 makes the RTX 4070 an attractive option that unlocks a lot of potential in the games that support it.

If you’re not bothered by the somewhat subpar ray tracing and the lack of DLSS 3, AMD’s RX 6950 XT is still a safe pick — but if you care about those two things, Nvidia’s RTX 4070 marks a great comeback for the lineup and a much cheaper alternative to other RTX 40-series graphics cards.
We know the market cares about RT performance by the low market share of AMD.

May 6, 2023
Geez, this discussion o_O

Hey, can there be more gpu options that don't pigeonhole folks into one ecosystem? Less of that proprietary stuff?
No..?
/sig
Unreal Engine 5 will be the one. It utilize software based ray tracing techniques called Lumen & Nanite for global illumination. Similar effect to Nvidia's RT solution but a lot faster & cheaper. There's no need for 1000$ GPU, it just works. When it widely adopted - no doubt it will, Nvidia's selling point vanishes. Just a matter of time.

Reactions: Nyara and oofdragon

zx128k

Reputable
Unreal Engine 5 will be the one. It utilize software based ray tracing techniques called Lumen & Nanite for global illumination. Similar effect to Nvidia's RT solution but a lot faster & cheaper. There's no need for 1000$ GPU, it just works. When it widely adopted - no doubt it will, Nvidia's selling point vanishes. Just a matter of time.
Lumen has RT hardware support and path-tracing support. Lumen software is targeted at consoles as per the engines documentation. There are limitations to Lumen.

Lumen is Unreal Engine 5's fully dynamic global illumination and reflections system that is designed for next-generation consoles, and it is the default global illumination and reflections system. Lumen renders diffuse interreflection with infinite bounces and indirect specular reflections in large, detailed environments at scales ranging from millimeters to kilometers. Source
Lumen's secondary focus is on clean indoor lighting at 30 FPS on next-generation consoles. Lumen's Global Illumination and Reflections primary shipping target is to support large, open worlds running at 60 frames per second (FPS) on next-generation consoles. Source
We are back at console plus arguements for the PC gaming or the death of PC gaming. If Lumen is fine then get a console. It cost less than a RX 6950XT or a RTX 4070. Remember nVidia own the PC market and AMD own the console market for GPU's. In the PC market DLSS won, FSR has to be open source and work on nVidia GPUs. nVidia don't complete with AMD, Intel does. The PC market is nVidia. Its rare that a PC has an AMD dGPU.

Last edited:

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
6950XT=3090Ti= 98FPS
6800XT=4070= 73FPS

Tech Power UP RT 4K
The 6950XT equals or better the RTX4070 on 6 out of 9 games, and the other three it wasn't much below

3 Game Average RTX4070 +4% Faster 4K RT, the 6950XT matches the 4070 in 3 out of 3 games

6950XT +26%
4070Ti +25%
6800XT +10%
4070 base

zx128k

Reputable
6950XT=3090Ti= 98FPS
6800XT=4070= 73FPS

Tech Power UP RT 4K

6950XT +26%
4070Ti +25%
6800XT +10%
4070 base
Please see tomshardware results above. The topic this thread was created for.

Overall Winner: Nvidia RTX 4070

MKzUeD7y7QtrHbcBMAyBwY-1200-80.png

This is the real DX12 performance of both cards.

Overall, the RX 6950 XT comes out 14% ahead of the RTX 4070 in rasterization, and that grows to 17% at 4K (but shrinks to 8% at 1080p).

The reverse takes place when we turn to the ray tracing benchmarks. There, the RTX 4070 leads by 21% on average at 1440p… except neither GPU really provides a great gaming experience at 1440p native with ray tracing. Dropping to 1080p actually increases the leads by a few percent, while at 4K the lead shrinks to 20%.

Last edited:

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Please see tomshardware results above. The topic this thread was created for.

Overall Winner: Nvidia RTX 4070

MKzUeD7y7QtrHbcBMAyBwY-1200-80.png

This is the real DX12 performance of both cards.

No that's not the real result, it's a biased BS result that no other review came even close. Are you telling me the whole internet is lying and this review is accurate?

Reactions: Thunder64

zx128k

Reputable
With people like you Nvidia doesn't need marketing!
nVidia don't need marketing they completely dominate the dGPU market. Greater than 80% market share.

Games now have Ray Tracing in their top settings. This will mean AMD gets decimated performance wise and its AMD's own fault. There is no longer any logical arguement for treating RT as anything other than normal.

Only a very few people got AMD cards and fewer still are AMD fans. The whole market is nVidia's. Thus DLSS and RT is the new normal. Why does FSR run on all cards because it has to run on nVidia gpu's or its dead on arrival.

On steam hardware surey gpus.
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 0.53%
AMD Radeon RX 6600 0.49%
AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT 0.40%
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 0.24%
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 0.20%

RTX 3060 4.66%
RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 4.51%
RTX 2060 4.45%
RTX 3060 Ti 3.13%
RTX 3070 2.95%
RTX 3050 2.71%
RTX 3080 1.94%
RTX 2070 SUPER 1.45%
RTX 3070 Ti 1.37%
and on and on...

Is there anything more rare than a gamer with a AMD RX 6000 series gpu. People voted with their money for nVidia. They voted RT/DLSS, a massive landslide majority. Players don't have a focus on raster or this wouldn't happen. AMD lost, RT matters. Its the new normal. nVidia have all the market share and no real competition.

AMD are so wiped out by RT/DLSS Intel is their direct competition in the dGPU market. It's not nVidia vs AMD. Its AMD vs Intel. nVidia won, AMD cannot compete.

Why don't you let real tomshardware's customers post like me and post this crap on AMD's forums. nVidia completely won. The hotest feature is ray tracing. The standard for AAA games. Who has the best performance in a world of Ray Tracing, nVidia. Who has the best upscaling nVidia. Who has > 80% market share, nVidia. Who has the closest market share to AMD, Intel.

Who controls if a card has enough VRAM, nVidia. Who controls the features a card should have, nVidia.

Nvidia's dominant share of the gaming-chip market increased 700 basis points in March to 83% of users, B of A analyst says, citing Steam data that has a caveat.6 Apr 2023 source
Nvidia still crushing the data center market
According to IDC, Nvidia held 91.4% of the enterprise GPU market to AMD’s 8.5% in 2021.

Stop talking as if what AMD does matters in the dGPU market.

AMD’s Graphics Card Market Share Gets Cut in Half as NVIDIA Accounts for ~90% of GPUs Sold
According to the latest report from Jon Peddie Research (via: WCCFTech), AMD’s discrete GPU market plummeted to single-digit figures in Q3 2022. NVIDIA ruled over the vast majority, accounting for 88% of all dGPUs sold in the PC market. On the other hand, AMD clung onto just 8% of the add-in GPU market.
From accounting for 13% of the notebook dGPU market back in Q3 2021, Team Red has been reduced to just 5% in Q3 2022. Going by first-party figures, the RDNA 3 graphics architecture isn’t going to change much. AMD will continue to be the second choice for gamers, courtesy of inferior ray-tracing performance and lack of a DLSS 3 counterpart.

The focus on raster performance destroyed AMD, so did ignoring AI.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
It's time to take your pills, Jensen.
Its you who can't accept that no one agrees with you. That customers voted with their money and it was for nVidia. In a world of Ray Tracing games the RX 6000 series sucks in performance. You can see that RT was the main factor for a GPU purchase because of the >80% market share for nVidia. Yet here you are trolling in the 4070 vs 6950xt thread because someone dared to write overall the 4070 won.