GeForce2 MX Memory

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I heard that the MX based boards use 64 bit SDRAM instead of 128 bit in normal GeForce and GeForce GTS. Is this true?

If so, does this make a huge difference in performance. I want it to replace an aging nVidia TNT based board that isn't keeping up with modern games (PII 400, 128 MB)

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd say that the Geforce GTS is great in performance, but the MX based cards are better for a value-performance balance.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

When replacing a graphics card, you should always be wary of the price/performance ratio. I bought a creative geforce 2 MX DDR card two weeks ago after reading all the good things about the MX's DDR memory. The card worked fine, 44.0 fps in q3 at 1024x768\32-bit v.d\32-bit texture.

I have however just switched the card for a prophet 2 mx dual display card. This thing is not DDR, but has a 128-bit memory bus - it benchmarks at 54.0 fps in q3 at the same settings.

The version down from the dual display is identically priced as the creative at 100 quid but is faster and non-ddr.

As always, you are better to see something in action before buying and compare it to alternatives.

(benchmarks on kt7-raid with duron750@1ghz)

Mcr

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have not heard that however the MX boards have 2 graphics pipelines compared to 4 for the gforce 256 and gforce gts,

gforce2 mx is roughly same performance as the orginal
gforce 256 SDR(ram) and is alot cheaper
very good value based card,
i think most are about the same
i would go with a good brand like ASUS, or something similar
i am sure if you look around here you can find some storys about which are best.

G

not exactly. GF2Mx with SDR can have 64bit or 128bit but generally they are 128bits, BUT GF2Mx with DDR is allways 64 bits. This is to prevent the Mx to be too good for it's price.

G

I'm considering purchasing the MX, most likely from AsusTek, but how can I tell if the card in question has the DDR or SDR memory?

G

Not when buying from something found on Pricewatch. Asus' site doesn't even mention SDR on the MX card.

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for your help guys/gals. I decided to buy the Hercules Prophet II GeForce2 MX card and I love the way it runs!!! I picked up Giants: Citizen Kabuto and I have very good frame rates with it at 1024x768x32.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts