Question General GPU cooling?

Jul 5, 2024
I've seen water cooling loops that go thru both the GPU and CPU and with the 5 series coming in October/November, I'm wondering if there are any guidelines for GPU cooling. Like, is it even necessary at all/will it be necessary with the series 5? If it is needed, then what would be the best way to go about it without spending a ton of extra cash?

Or is dedicated GPU cooling something that doesn't really matter for any graphics card? I currently have a 3070 and that sucker gets pretty hot, but it's never triggered a shut down and I don't have any dedicated cooling for it, so I might just be being paranoid. I'm planning to build my own PC for the first time either in a couple of weeks or in November, pending how long my current PC can survive and I don't want to make any cooling mistakes that could harm my new pc.

Jul 5, 2024
You will need to wait and see what sort of power draws the RTX5000 series will have in store for us all. Once the series is available, comes AIB cooling solutions and waterblock makers showing off their designs.

You might want to read through the watercooling sticky if you're interested in having a standalone loop for your GPU.

What sort of temps do you see on your RTX3070?
I don't know what exact temps, all I know is it's searing hot to touch. Is there some way to check the exact temp without a thermal camera?

It is rather scary that you are looking at doing custom water blocks and do not know about very basic tools to see your actual temperatures.
A tool like hwinfo will let you see pretty much any temperature sensor that is on your CPU or GPU.

Water cooling a GPU is mostly for appearance purposes. Almost all the video cards you find are kept well withing the limits with the air cooler they come with. You can no longer overclock GPU..they are mostly overclocked from the factory already.

If you have a actual over heating issues it is more likely to be a case problem. A different case tends to be much cheaper than custom water cooling loops.

Reactions: Housaiga
Jul 5, 2024
It is rather scary that you are looking at doing custom water blocks and do not know about very basic tools to see your actual temperatures.
A tool like hwinfo will let you see pretty much any temperature sensor that is on your CPU or GPU.

Water cooling a GPU is mostly for appearance purposes. Almost all the video cards you find are kept well withing the limits with the air cooler they come with. You can no longer overclock GPU..they are mostly overclocked from the factory already.

If you have a actual over heating issues it is more likely to be a case problem. A different case tends to be much cheaper than custom water cooling loops.
hwinfo. Thanks. And thanks for answering the actual question of if watercooling is a needed thing or not. I'm just gonna stick to aios for my cpu and figuring out a good case then.

unless you are running some high end cpu like a 13900k a good air cooler will do just as well as a AIO. Air coolers will even keep 13900k under throttle limits as long as you use the intel recommended power levels

If you look at test results for coolers you will quickly find that only 360 or bigger AIO will beat good air coolers.

I would avoid AIO unless you have a very clear need. A air cooler the worst that can happen is you have to replace a fan. AIO has lots more moving parts that can fail.

Jul 5, 2024
unless you are running some high end cpu like a 13900k a good air cooler will do just as well as a AIO. Air coolers will even keep 13900k under throttle limits as long as you use the intel recommended power levels

If you look at test results for coolers you will quickly find that only 360 or bigger AIO will beat good air coolers.

I would avoid AIO unless you have a very clear need. A air cooler the worst that can happen is you have to replace a fan. AIO has lots more moving parts that can fail.
I picked up a thermalright phantom for 40$ off Amazon. Installed it easily enough and it's keeping my PC cool, so I might just stick to air until cpus get so hot they need a 360 aio. If nothing else I appreciate the ease of install and how easy they are to repair.