Question Generic non pnp monitor problem

maxr.0307

Reputable
Jul 3, 2018
So my Benq xl2411z shows as a generic non pnp monitor when using a DVI cable, but when using HDMI it's fine. Is it a cable problem and should I get a new one?

Last edited:

mangaman

Honorable
I would revert the overclock on your monitor to see if Windows still thinks it a generic pnp monitor. If not, try a different cable and see if that is the issue.

Also, try updating/reinstalling your GPU drivers to see if Windows just missed your DVI connection. Do this while your monitor is plugged in via DVI.

If all else fails, using just HDMI should not be an issue.

Reactions: maxr.0307

maxr.0307

Reputable
Jul 3, 2018
I would revert the overclock on your monitor to see if Windows still thinks it a generic pnp monitor. If not, try a different cable and see if that is the issue.

Also, try updating/reinstalling your GPU drivers to see if Windows just missed your DVI connection. Do this while your monitor is plugged in via DVI.

If all else fails, using just HDMI should not be an issue.

The monitor is running at 1024x768@120hz now, the OC is gone. I've also tried updating the GPU drivers but it didn't work. Unfortunately, I don't have a 2nd DVI cable so I can't be sure it's 100% cable's fault. Nonetheless thank you for your help. I'll be getting a 240hz one soon so using 120hz with lower resolutions for a while shouldn't be a bother.

mangaman

Honorable
The monitor is running at 1024x768@120hz now, the OC is gone. I've also tried updating the GPU drivers but it didn't work. Unfortunately, I don't have a 2nd DVI cable so I can't be sure it's 100% cable's fault. Nonetheless thank you for your help. I'll be getting a 240hz one soon so using 120hz with lower resolutions for a while shouldn't be a bother.

Have you tried downloading drivers for your XL2411Z? Here is the official link to the Benq driver download page, as this may work for your monitor.

https://www.benq.com/en-us/support/downloads-faq/products/monitor/xl2411z/software-driver.html

maxr.0307

Reputable
Jul 3, 2018
Sorry for not replying. I kinda gave up so I haven't been really checking the thread. Yes, I did try these drivers. Instead of generic non pnp monitor it says benq xl2411z in the device manager. Nothing besides that changes, all the driver update did was to change the name in the device manager. In nvidia control panes it's still not recognized as benq xl2411z and I can't go past 1024x768. At this point, I think it might be a cable/port fault? I don't have a 2nd DVI cable so I'm not sure. I am using HDMI now, which supports 120hz on lower resolutions so it's fine I guess. I was going to upgrade to a 240hz monitor anyway, I'll just have to bear with 1366x768 for now. That's also why I don't wanna waste my money on a DVI cable, no point in buying something I won't be using shortly after.

maxr.0307

Reputable
Jul 3, 2018
What I find weird is that the monitor works using DVI only when I have it connected through DVI before I power up my pc. Otherwise, if I try to connect it when my pc is already on it'll say "no cable connected". If I try to turn off my monitor it will also say "no cable connected" next time I try to turn it on. So if I want to use it through DVI I can't turn off my monitor no matter what, or else I'll have to restart my pc or switch to HDMI.

maxr.0307

Reputable
Jul 3, 2018
So I managed to get 1920x1080@144hz to work after creating a custom resolution and changing some things under timing. The monitor is still not recognized and I need to restart my pc every time it gets turned off. Not a big deal, I guess I'll just have to make sure it doesn't.

Edit: The only downside is that I can't overclock using the method I did it again since the monitor isn't recognized.

Last edited:

maxr.0307

Reputable
Jul 3, 2018
Update: After updating gpu drivers, when plugging in by DVI-D the monitor says it's not connected so rip I guess... I managed to get the overclock working, so I wasn't really hard pressed to upgrade to 240hz. One thing I figured out is that I might have corrupted EDID? Not sure about that though, and there's not much I can do about it if that's the case. It still gets recognized as a generic non pnp monitor in the device manager, even though the monitor says "no cable connected". Not going to bother with rolling back my gpu drivers as I don't remember which one I had before and the monitor is honestly too much of a hassle. I just ordered a 240hz monitor so I'll finally upgrade lol.

Last edited: