GeoCities Shutting Down For Good

Status
Not open for further replies.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I had one several years back for a couple days; I think it just had a bio of how I wanted to be a pirate-ninja when I grew up... Got bored, moved onto better things...

G

I still have my geocities site up. Even though I haven't updated it for years, I still show it to people to read some old stuff I used to write. Guess that means I'm gonna have to download all of the data and store it somewhere else. :(

Marcus Yam

Splendid
Jul 1, 2008
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I had one several years back for a couple days; I think it just had a bio of how I wanted to be a pirate-ninja when I grew up... Got bored, moved onto better things...[/citation]
I dunno man, there really isn't anything better that you can move onto other than aspiring to be a pirate-ninja.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]beuchevy[/nom]I still have my geocities site up. Even though I haven't updated it for years, I still show it to people to read some old stuff I used to write. Guess that means I'm gonna have to download all of the data and store it somewhere else.[/citation]
Me too. Oh well.

crystal_tech

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
hmm i wonder whats going to happen to all that data if they will delete it or filter through it and sell info. (if you read the terms they own your page and what ever you put on it)

G

NOOOO!!! :'(
I've been keeping my friends geo site up for years by visiting it periodically... I told him a couple years after he thought it died that I was doing that, he was soo pissed. Guess he'll win in the end (he lost all ability to modify the site long ago) :(

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I had one several years back for a couple days; I think it just had a bio of how I wanted to be a pirate-ninja when I grew up... Got bored, moved onto better things...[/citation]

There are better things than pirate-ninjas?

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
As god-awful as many of the sites were (and I mean atrociously designed) there are a lot of great independent sites set up on services like GeoCities, which I've used as resources. I hope they don't end up entirely disappearing as a result.

chrissd

Distinguished
May 6, 2007
What many people dont know is that Geocities was one of the first web hosting companies back in 1994-95 when internet was mostly a university network. That is really an "end of an era".

G

yes, me too have a site still running... sad if they will shutdown... sad sad sad...

voidrunner

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
[citation][nom]chrissd[/nom]What many people dont know is that Geocities was one of the first web hosting companies back in 1994-95 when internet was mostly a university network. That is really an "end of an era".[/citation]
so true. i don't know what i would be doing now if it wasn't for Geocities. I was introduced to the concept of web development (however limited) by a highschool friend who made me a Geocities account in 97.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I've been using it since probably 1998, but a few years ago I took the site down and just kept it so I could host a couple of files for other sites. Good thing I read this so I know to grab the stuff off of there.

Yeah I use to put up Geocities sites when I was bored. They really fell behind the times though with their limited offerings and clumsy, intrusive advertising. There are alot of free hosting services now with less intrusive advertising, and even a few that let you host a small MySQL database and run some PHP code.

Even then hosting fees are so low now, if you really want to put up a website you can afford to pay at least like $8/mo for something ipowerweb.

city_zen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]chrissd[/nom]What many people dont know is that Geocities was one of the first web hosting companies back in 1994-95 when internet was mostly a university network. That is really an "end of an era".[/citation]

I agree 100%

I DID have a Geocities website a long, long time ago. Just a home page that I think I wrote using Word 97 ... LOL

Anyway, fret not, people. Geocities may be gone, but there are a lot of free alternatives (some of them actually decent). Take a look at:
Free Web Hosting Talk

graviongr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I had a dozen different geocities websites back in the mid / late 90's. Seems like every different hobby I had back then I would throw up a website.

It's true as someone said they really started to fall off and get a reputation for being somewhat of a joke when you had to start dealing with their horrible advertising design. I'm all for ads when you're using free hosting but man... geocities got bad, it got bad enough that I started losing interest in updating the sites.

Anyways, before all of these new apps that convert everything into HTML for you, my tool was notepad like many others, and surfing the internet for new HTML tricks.

I kind of miss making pages, but if you don't use it, you lose it. It's been nearly a decade since I have done any HTML and it almost seems hard to recall how to do iframes and other simple tricks.

Thanks Geocities for giving the early internet a place to throw up pages for free and share knowledge with the world.

G

This is what evolution is. Just like old car models get discontinued, old webhosts will get shutdown. Look at the bright side, when a star is dying a new one is coming out =)

Status
Not open for further replies.