Get Kingston's Intel G2 SSD for Just $85

Status
Not open for further replies.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
thats not bad but for that price i can get a 1TB drive so ill have to choose from storage or speed... i think i may go with speed :D

legierk

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
85 bones is the range I've been waiting for. Need to see some benchmarks....will they do Raid 0? If it's for real (performance, that is), I'm onboard before Black Friday for sure.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I'd love to get this thing for my new build, but it probably won't fit into my budget... :-( $85 plus a standard HDD for storage, say another $55, means $140. That's still significantly more than just buying a regular HDD.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I wanted to spend $23 on an 8GB OCZ Rally2 to use for Windows 7 Readyboost, which is $2.875 per GB. For 40GB, that's the equivalent of $115. So this drive at $85 is a pretty good deal after rebate, assuming I'll successfully get the rebate...

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Imma get like 3 of them. One for my laptop, one for my media pc, one for my wife's pc. None of these computers actually need more than 20 gigs. I have network storage a home for storing stuff.

SamuelL421

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Very awesome, need to see some benchmarks but the price is right. Universal compatibility is the only thing scaring me now. Building a dual boot osx/win7 system in a month and buying SSDs that may or may not play nice w/ a bootloader is a gamble.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Tempting, but the price point needs to be a lot better before I consider a SSD. 40gigs for 85 bucks. Going to have to pass. I'm not sure what most run on their boot drive, but that definitely isn't enough for the amount of games I have installed.

G

I'm tired of seeing these companies shell out lower capacity drives while keeping the $/gb relatively the same and suddenly think this is somehow a deal. Freaking wake up and see that once you drop the $/gb down under 1.50 your penetration into the market will soar

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]legierk[/nom]85 bones is the range I've been waiting for. Need to see some benchmarks....will they do Raid 0? If it's for real (performance, that is), I'm onboard before Black Friday for sure.[/citation]
If you planning to do RAID0 you need to wait. Currently TRIM command is not supported on any RAID configuration. This SSD will work well only with Windows 7 (using MS driver, not the chip-set's driver). And Intel Support programs will refuse to work on it. It is Kingston not Intel. On any other OS will have well known problem of slowing down after some time. The only way to get the performance back is to wipe disk with low level format tool. (I don't know if Kingston is offering one)

ktasley

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
! this is an amazing price.(lets see some benches)

This is a good indication of how fast SSD prices are dropping, and it looks good. I was thinking about a new HD for windows 7 and this is perfect timing.

This is a great size to price ratio, as 40gb is about all you need for a boot drive and critical apps. Obviously the price / Gb is higher than conventional drives, but what about price / performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.