Get Off My Desktop! Windows Needs to Stop Showing Tabloid News

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan
I'm going to take a bit of a different view:
I don't care if they have tabloids, CNN, or even a completely fake news site.

I just want to be able to turn off the news feed entirely so the widgets are usable.
In Win 11:

Click the Options icon at top right of the 'Search' window
Select Search Settings
Scroll down to More Settings
Turn this OFF
mDiTIHM.jpg

Reactions: bit_user

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Under 2 hours!

But I didn't think it would take that long for the requisite Linux comment to appear.

i don't have the issue in Win 7 either :p

j/k that's got to be annoying. but if it's part of a "weather" app, then seems like an easy thing to turn off. plenty of easy ways to get the weather than windows thingy... especially if it is just an ad serving "feature"

Apr 1, 2020
Some would call this a clickbaity, tabloid like article as well. I would be one of those people.

It's easy to turn off headlines, you even state that in the article, and Microsoft even makes it quite easy to turn them off, helpful since customizing the sources takes ages and even then it often doesn't show you much of what you're interested in, like most headline news sources. And for reference, I have never seen any ads for a TomsHardware article despite seeing many from Cnet, Techspot, AndroidPolice, and other tech sources.

The problem FOR YOU (the author) is that since you want to use the MSN service to get a temperature icon in your taskbar you also get to effectively see MSN ads to use that service. There are other services and sources, your phone's lockscreen or your smartwatch, for two, that don't have ads.

So the title of this article should be: How to easily disable ads in Windows 11 (unless you want to use their ad supported service!)

Mar 26, 2023
i don't have the issue in Win 7 either :p

j/k that's got to be annoying. but if it's part of a "weather" app, then seems like an easy thing to turn off. plenty of easy ways to get the weather than windows thingy... especially if it is just an ad serving "feature"
Time to go back to Vista! (/s)

BX4096

Reputable
Aug 9, 2020
I never had this issue on Linux.
Whatever the heck this is, I never had this issue either on Windows 10 or Windows 11 either. In fact, today is the first time I'm learing that an issue like this exists. If you can use Linux, you sure as hell can disable useless stuff or block it with a firewall, too. I usually do it the first hour I get my hands on a system.

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
I like the idea of the widgets in the corner, but I don't like that I can't customize it much at all. In particular in regard to news, MSN does offer some personalization options - e.g., I can tell it to push (more) sports news in my feed, or that I do not want news from a specific site. But for me that's hardly as practical as putting e.g. tech news by RSS feed from selected sites into one (widget) box.

And it seems quite lame that such option doesn't exist - as if MS is telling me that their algorithm is better than my own choice - nor an option e.g. to receive Steam notifications in a widget box there, etc. (which I don't expect MS to provide per se, but not all of us want to live in a closed MS world experience).

razorree

Commendable
Feb 24, 2021
hm.... I don't see any news or advertisements ... (newest Win11, maybe i've disabled it somewhere... ? )

Status
Not open for further replies.