Get Your Google Back, Google Tells Win 8 Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Sorry to say it but users who can`t figure out in Windows 8 how to use Google or Chrome are complete idiots, why do some "humans" really need to have someone else put labels for them to be able to do simple tasks ? Or big signs? And i totally support MS in this .. is their OS after all ... Don`t expect Google to have in Chrome OS other defaults than Google and Chrome ... seriously...

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Why so much hate against uninformed people, guys?
Sure, we are the kind of people that knows how to rearrange everything (and I mean everything) in an OS to our best interest, but this is a smart move from Google.

This video was what? 1min? It is simple, and probable of a very low budget (besides of the design and plot team). But it makes them get closer to people.

Now tell me, how many people would start using IE as default browser just because it is there? If we direct our attention to the lazy, not so savvy consumer, probably they would just follow the status quo of W8. Heck, even for those who already know some tech it is useful, because merely by inserting a browser in an environment it could already make you lose a few people.

I really liked the video, and the idea behind it. IT is for everyone, dont be dicks about what we know.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I will never understand the hate for IE. It's had it's issue, yeah, but they iron them out, add new features, have a few more issues, iron them out, etc. etc. Never have I had any issue with IE that would justify calling it "junk."

Google Chrome is great, too! However there is a reason most work environments that deal with sensitive data deal only with IE... Because it's secure. If you're willing to trade off security for faster browsing (only .5 to 1 second faster) you're an idiot as far as I'm concerned.

Gett off the "I hate IE, boo hoo hoo" bandwagon and start using your brains people.

livingthedream

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
This might sound useless to most people on Tom's, but to myself this is very useful for my customers. This will help them through their windows 8 transition. Many people don't know nor want to know how to use windows properly (same goes for many other O/S's). They just want it to work.

CDdude55

Distinguished
This is a smart move business wise, as mainstream consumers who maybe buying a new PC with Windows 8 or attemping to swap OS's really don't know much about the different web browsers, but they do know Google. So instead of having them use the defult Microsoft applications, why not plug your own products in there as well?

Also it has nothing to do with being stupid, it's simply ignorance in an area most people aren't interested in.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I put Win8 on my wife's old hp tx2000 touchscreen notebook. I have to say, for being a 4 year old computer with an old AMD dual core, it runs great. I am interested to see more benchmarks with IE10. IE10, overall, feels much faster than chrome did in Win7. As for my other computers, they won't be seeing Win8 any time soon; only put on the wife's because it was a touchscreen lol.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]snowzsan[/nom]I will never understand the hate for IE. It's had it's issue, yeah, but they iron them out, add new features, have a few more issues, iron them out, etc. etc. Never have I had any issue with IE that would justify calling it "junk."Google Chrome is great, too! However there is a reason most work environments that deal with sensitive data deal only with IE... Because it's secure. If you're willing to trade off security for faster browsing (only .5 to 1 second faster) you're an idiot as far as I'm concerned.Gett off the "I hate IE, boo hoo hoo" bandwagon and start using your brains people.[/citation]

As far as I know, pretty much the only weaknesses from Chrome and Firefox, IE as well, are the plugins and other add-ons. To find loopholes in the core of the browser its pretty difficult, and I remember that even IE was deemed insecure in the last Grand Prix here in Toms. Granted, IE warns you a lot more about security, but it all comes down to what you actually have running in the background. I feel safe to say that 99% of security flaws are NOT caused by the code in the browsers, but by USERS MISTAKES

I dont like IE just because how annoying it is about security. We, and most of the readers of the site, know pretty well how to navigate safely. Besides, in a machine intended solely for commercial use, there should be NO kind of 3rd party plugins or dangerous scripts allowed. IE is good with that, but any well trained employee should know some IT security IMO.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Die, Metro, die.[/citation]

This whole "die, metro, die" bit is getting old. It's released already... either deal with it, shut up, or don't get the upgrade to 8. All the Win 8 haters are beginning to sound like mindless sheep, just like apple.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]livingthedream[/nom]This might sound useless to most people on Tom's, but to myself this is very useful for my customers. This will help them through their windows 8 transition. Many people don't know nor want to know how to use windows properly (same goes for many other O/S's). They just want it to work.[/citation]Then why do they even need to download Chrome? If they REALLY don't know how to operate a computer, why not leave it alone. IE10 works well enough, as does their built in mail app (which of course supports Gmail and many others out of the box, without even needing to know the server info). If they're a actual Google user, that actually cares what browser they're using, they will figure it out in about two seconds. Heck, I think Google Search is available right through Microsoft's app store. :p[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]any well trained employee should know some IT security IMO.[/citation]Yeeaahh, about that. You've never worked a support desk, I see.

[citation][nom]iknowhowtofixit[/nom]Your statement is only true when talking about group policy in a domain environment. You can implement much of the same security measures through alternate means (such as through an enterprise class router like a Cisco ASA). As a stand-alone browser outside of group policies, it doesn't hold a candle to Chrome and FireFox.[/citation]

I don't know about that. Every browser has issues and strengths. After switching to FireFox, there have been many times I missed IE. If I wasn't lazy, I'd be using IE again, but the differences are enough for me to switch back. I switched from IE due to a specific bug with AMD drivers, causing hardware acceleration to lock the drivers at 75% normal clocks.

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]iknowhowtofixit[/nom]Your statement is only true when talking about group policy in a domain environment. You can implement much of the same security measures through alternate means (such as through an enterprise class router like a Cisco ASA). As a stand-alone browser outside of group policies, it doesn't hold a candle to Chrome and FireFox.[/citation]

I understand where you're coming from there but I've never had any issues using IE short of the occasional lock-up which I experience in every browser when you stumble across a poorly coded page. As for the not holding a candle to chrome or firefox I'm only going to assume you've never used IE in the last decade or your computer isn't equiped to run your current Windows installation optimally, and as such, IE suffers.

With my current i5 build OC'ed to 5.0GHz and Corsair Force GT, I click, it opens instantly, I browse, it direct instantly, no issues. I do the same thing in Chrome, no issues. I do the same thing in Firefox, no issues. What does it come down to? Security and vs. 3rd party applications. IE is there. It works just as well as the other browsers, and is plenty secure. It comes preinstalled. I don't see the need to move to a different browser. Some people say preference? To what? Visuals? All these browsers do what they are supposed to do and the differences are so small that to say it's a performance difference is utterly stupid.

At this point, browser preference is all fanboyism. This MS hate crap is getting old as well.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
"The Chrome browser is the same Chrome you know and love" - pfffhahahaHAHA

I choose browsers where you can control the updating process. Chrome is not one of them.

G

'Sorry to say it but users who can`t figure out in Windows 8 how to use Google or Chrome are complete idiots'

But that's not what makes them idiots...they bought Windows 8! :D

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]snowzsan[/nom]I will never understand the hate for IE. It's had it's issue, yeah, but they iron them out, add new features, have a few more issues, iron them out, etc. etc. Never have I had any issue with IE that would justify calling it "junk."Google Chrome is great, too! However there is a reason most work environments that deal with sensitive data deal only with IE... Because it's secure. If you're willing to trade off security for faster browsing (only .5 to 1 second faster) you're an idiot as far as I'm concerned.Gett off the "I hate IE, boo hoo hoo" bandwagon and start using your brains people.[/citation]
clearly you are not a web designer

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Since most of the world's computers use IE clearly web designers like IE.[/citation]
I don`t know what year you live in but in 2012 i don`t think that IE is still the world`s most used browser.

I see a lot of negatives to my first post, do you guys find it outrageous that MS takes liberty in promoting their own stuff in their own OS ? Next time you go buy an AUDI car go tell them that you want the option to install a BMW dashboard ... because that`s what your logic is all about.

Chewie

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Sorry to say it but users who can`t figure out in Windows 8 how to use Google or Chrome are complete idiots, why do some "humans" really need to have someone else put labels for them to be able to do simple tasks ? Or big signs? And i totally support MS in this .. is their OS after all ... Don`t expect Google to have in Chrome OS other defaults than Google and Chrome ... seriously...[/citation]
Did you know that many in the Linux community say the same about _anyone_ ignorant enough to be stuck in the microshaft environment?

Chewie

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]"The Chrome browser is the same Chrome you know and love" - pfffhahahaHAHAI choose browsers where you can control the updating process. Chrome is not one of them.[/citation]
You do have a point there. However, I've never had a Google update of any type screw up my whole system.

Status
Not open for further replies.