Getac's Z710 Tablet is Designed to Take a Beating

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzioAs

Distinguished
"If James Bond, Ethan Hunt or the White Spy ever needed a tablet for some super secret espionage, an easily smashable iPad wouldn't be the ideal choice"

This is so true.

G

So instead of buying this tablet I could buy a better android tablet, smash it, buy it again and have still money left, am I right?

ozvip3r

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
[citation][nom]EzioAs[/nom]"If James Bond, Ethan Hunt or the White Spy ever needed a tablet for some super secret espionage, an easily smashable iPad wouldn't be the ideal choice"This is so true.[/citation]
Neither would a tablet that sticks out like dogs balls.

[citation][nom]sixdegree[/nom]Android 2.3 on $1500+ tablet? Why?[/citation]
Worst part is, because of the price, this will remain a niche product, hence never getting the devs' attention for a ICS port.

mugiebahar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
1) Buy an IPad $499 plus the warranty $100
2) now break it and pay the $50 to get a new each time.
3) Now very carfully repeat step 2 and pay another $50

By this time you spent $700.

4) Buy new iPad w/warranty for $600
5) pour water all over your iPad and return it for a new one for $50
6) now carefully go to the top of a 6-7 story building and throw it off to see if it works like a boomerang (be very carful nobody is around to get hurt). The pick up the distorted iPad and take it in for a new 1.

Now in total you spent $1400 for 6 iPads.

Which is cheaper then this stupid thing. Thanks for inventing a solid piece but you cant sell an win xp netbook machine for 2x the price of an ultra book.

mugiebahar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Oh also if you need to scratch proof the device and cousin it from falls, use a 3M urethane with 14 mil - 21 mil. That stuff is used on ond turbines blades and jet fighters wings. It cousins and protects, if you do break it well you will have plenty of money to bu a whole new system for less then the above product.

I feel engineers are killing real progression nowadays. We all went to school with them, and all we have become a group of narrow minded idiots compaired to the rest of the world. Math is the easy part we have to agree in that explains your idea. But with no real ideas (new out of the norm) what good is calculating anything, what to build the same block structures and machines. Thats why china and India is kicking our asses, they have nothing so they jus to invent things they have to improvise (which is invent ) stuff to show what they wanted to invent.

I believe ( just my own words here, agree or not) North America has 2 engineers adult and high functioning children
Adults are anil and only play safe so they don't look stupid (or try to) so they make no attempt to go against everything and find a way to design and build their ideas. And are not interested if it makes no money.
High functioning children engineers will and always be better and smarter. They don't see what the is but it could be. No boundrys to stop trying, no pride to stop from failing @ first but succeeding @ the end. Also they don't let the word define them.

Until we weed out adult engineers we will never get back to the moon or beyond or solve real problems other then making a few rich while accomplishing nothing.

[citation][nom]mugiebahar[/nom]Oh also if you need to scratch proof the device and cousin it from falls, use a 3M urethane with 14 mil - 21 mil. That stuff is used on ond turbines blades and jet fighters wings. It cousins and protects, if you do break it well you will have plenty of money to bu a whole new system for less then the above product. I feel engineers are killing real progression nowadays. We all went to school with them, and all we have become a group of narrow minded idiots compaired to the rest of the world. Math is the easy part we have to agree in that explains your idea. But with no real ideas (new out of the norm) what good is calculating anything, what to build the same block structures and machines. Thats why china and India is kicking our asses, they have nothing so they jus to invent things they have to improvise (which is invent ) stuff to show what they wanted to invent. I believe ( just my own words here, agree or not) North America has 2 engineers adult and high functioning childrenAdults are anil and only play safe so they don't look stupid (or try to) so they make no attempt to go against everything and find a way to design and build their ideas. And are not interested if it makes no money.High functioning children engineers will and always be better and smarter. They don't see what the is but it could be. No boundrys to stop trying, no pride to stop from failing @ first but succeeding @ the end. Also they don't let the word define them. Until we weed out adult engineers we will never get back to the moon or beyond or solve real problems other then making a few rich while accomplishing nothing.[/citation]

I agree, the older generation is past it's prime and fading fast while the baby boomer generation is only focused on money. After all that is all they have to live for. Look at the people who work at Caterpillar INC they decided that $25 an hour with full benefits wasn't enough so they went on strike when much of the working class barely even earns anything better than minimum wage. To add insult to injury the 1% have to rub it into everyone's face.

This country won't make it through another decade if things continue, this country needs people with a brain that knows how to use it and has a spine to support it.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]I agree, the older generation is past it's prime and fading fast while the baby boomer generation is only focused on money. After all that is all they have to live for. Look at the people who work at Caterpillar INC they decided that $25 an hour with full benefits wasn't enough so they went on strike when much of the working class barely even earns anything better than minimum wage. To add insult to injury the 1% have to rub it into everyone's face. This country won't make it through another decade if things continue, this country needs people with a brain that knows how to use it and has a spine to support it.[/citation]

LOL, you have no clue about that situation.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
This thing is intended to be used as a tool in industrial environments. You can get cheaper tablets, faster tablets, tablets with a more modern OS.

But if the thing stops working when you need it, that can cost you a lot more than the sticker price difference that you'd pay here. You've got downtime to deal with, maybe you're not even in a place where you could get a replacement if you wanted to.

This is intended to be used as a tool in industrial environments. It's not for playing Angry Birds.

mugiebahar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
This thing is intended to be used as a tool in industrial environments. You can get cheaper tablets, faster tablets, tablets with a more modern OS.

But if the thing stops working when you need it, that can cost you a lot more than the sticker price difference that you'd pay here. You've got downtime to deal with, maybe you're not even in a place where you could get a replacement if you wanted to.

This is intended to be used as a tool in industrial environments. It's not for playing Angry Birds.

I work personally testing material from 3M, trust me when I say there are materials you can apply (not cheap yet expensive Zagg crap) just as transparent and way WAY tougher, stronger and can cushions just as well as rubber cases. You don't need blocky crap like this. Also why would any person with a brain buy a tablet with an outdated OS. Your point becomes mute when you consider what's the use of protecting the outside when I can go through your device online because of lack of real security. And yes I know you will say you have to allow apk's to install but there are other vulnerabilities and if you can't trust the person to handle with some care, then do you give them credit enough to think they are smart enough to secure there device? Also industry people who get these for " work reasons" will be playing angry birds. If you are that delusional that you think people will work heavy with these devices and not screw around, please hire me as the wool from your ass is blinding you.

twelch82

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
[citation][nom]mugiebahar[/nom]... Also why would any person with a brain buy a tablet with an outdated OS. Your point becomes mute when you consider what's the use of protecting the outside when I can go through your device online because of lack of real security. And yes I know you will say you have to allow apk's to install but there are other vulnerabilities and if you can't trust the person to handle with some care, then do you give them credit enough to think they are smart enough to secure there device? Also industry people who get these for " work reasons" will be playing angry birds. If you are that delusional that you think people will work heavy with these devices and not screw around, please hire me as the wool from your ass is blinding you.[/citation]

You don't need the most modern version of the OS to fill the intended purpose of this device. This is for use in places like machine/welding shops, construction, logging, oil rigs, etc. Places that are grimy, dirty, and yes you might be wearing gloves. The apps will likely be custom-built for taking inventory, status updates, etc.

If you want to wrap your tablet in extra material, you can still do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.