[SOLVED] Getting a below average score on my 3080 on 3D Mark time spy. Anyone help?

Jan 15, 2021
Hi guys,

I'm score below average on my 3080 with a Ryzen 7 2700. Compared to other withthe same CPU they are scoring 16000 while im at 14000. Can anyone explain this?

Link to 3D Mark Test: http://www.3dmark.com/spy/18351650

Specs:
MB: MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
RAM: TForce 4x8GB 32GB @ 3,000Mhz
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 TRIO X
CASE: InWin 925
FANS: InWin ASL 120 (9 fans)
Monitor: BenQ 1080p
PSU: 1000W EVGA

Solution
So what should i do with the GPU Thermal? Can u surprass the 350W limit and should i?
1)You experiment - be it gpu fan curves or chassis fan setup - to see if you can't get it to run even a few degrees cooler.

2)That's the hard limit for that card: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/225502/msi-rtx3080-10240-200901
You won't be able to go over that without flashing a different vbios. There don't appear to be any compatible higher power limit bios available for it - not that it would be a good thing; a higher power limit demands better cooling.

I just want it to perform as it should.

I just clicked on the link and you are right it is within 5 percent. So does that mean people who are 16k are water cooling? I'm...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Multiple factors at play.
1)Mind poison.
Rather unfortunate they don't provide a score comparison to a stock FE 3080 or Ryzen 2700 ONLY.
Instead, you get this convoluted mess of comparing to ALL 3080s and Ryzen 2700s regardless of how they're operated, which causes users to think there's something wrong, when there likely isn't.

2)Some of those gpu overclocks are using bioses with higher power limits.

3)Cpu overclocks, faster ram, faster ram with tighter timings...

4)Ever since Pascal(10 series), the boost clocks on Nvidia's gpus have been heavily tied to its parameters - power, voltage, and thermal, with the last being the one we have the most control over.
The cooler the card runs, the higher the sustained boost clocks will be - bar power and voltage anyway.
Your card's average of 1883mhz tells me it's thermal... OH! Found a review real quick - it's also the board power limit(350w).

5)You weren't expecting an exceptional score by 'doing nothing', were you?
Your score(14400) is an average result - it's within FIVE PERCENT of the average(14819 at the time of this post), so it's average.
It's performing as it should.

Jan 15, 2021
Hey Thanks for the reply!

So what should i do with the GPU Thermal? Can u surprass the 350W limit and should i?

5) I've been experiecing HDMi time outs but i do not know what is the issue. I also took my PCV in to Canada Computers and they could not replicate the issue. Howver they also mentioned my GPU is performing below average at 14k when others are atg 16k. I just want it to perform as it should.

I just clicked on the link and you are right it is within 5 percent. So does that mean people who are 16k are water cooling? I'm planning on water cooling in the future.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)You experiment - be it gpu fan curves or chassis fan setup - to see if you can't get it to run even a few degrees cooler.

2)That's the hard limit for that card: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/225502/msi-rtx3080-10240-200901
You won't be able to go over that without flashing a different vbios. There don't appear to be any compatible higher power limit bios available for it - not that it would be a good thing; a higher power limit demands better cooling.

I just want it to perform as it should.

I just clicked on the link and you are right it is within 5 percent. So does that mean people who are 16k are water cooling? I'm planning on water cooling in the future.
1)It is performing as it should. Those 16000 scores are NOT out of the box like yours is - with the exception of A-XMP.

2)They're doing one, or a combination of the following:
-overclocking
-running beta bioses with really high power limits
-card has a higher power limit out of the box
-hybrid cooling
-custom liquid
-LN2

I've been experiecing HDMi time outs but i do not know what is the issue. I also took my PCV in to Canada Computers and they could not replicate the issue.
Tried a different cable, like DP?

Solution
Jan 15, 2021
Tried a different cable, like DP?
I realized the issue i've been having. I have a 2.1HDMI connected to my LG 55CX 4k 120hz TV that i use for gaming and for my regular montior im using DP to HDMI. Perhaps the reason why its causing HDMI timeout is because im connected to a TV?

Jan 15, 2021
TV energy saver feature kicking in because there is 'no activity' from you
Could this happen even when the TV is turned off but the HDMI cable is connected to the GPU?

Also would you say it's normal for the monitor to have a 1-3 second black screen whenever i turn on my TV? ie) Turning on Tv and monitor blinks into a black screen but goes back to normal.

Feb 26, 2021
A better gpu to pair with that 3080 would improve your PC performance drastically I'm sure there is alot of bottle neck going on pairing a 3080 with a 2700

Jan 15, 2021
I have this other issue when installing software/games my PC lags, mouse starts to jump in places and keybaord type is slower. What do you think this could be? Do you think its because i have a 2700 and a 3080?

Your card appears to be performing exactly as it should be. Look at the "graphics score", not the overall score, as that is combining both the CPU and graphics scores together.

The average graphics score for a 3080 (when paired with a 2700) according to their score explorer is currently 17379. Your graphics score in that particular benchmark run is 17316. That falls within a fraction of a percent of the average, well within the margin of error. And if we look at the 3080 results across all CPUs, the average graphics score is 17696, just 2% faster than your score.

Your CPU score is obviously going to be lower than many other systems running 3080s, as a new enthusiast-level card like that is going to frequently get paired with faster (and often heavily overclocked) processors. Your CPU score of 7370 is lower than the average of those running 2700s with a 3080 though, which at 8085 is almost 10% higher. And the average CPU score for all processors paired with a 3080 (which again will contain a disproportionate number of the the latest, heavily overclocked processors for a card like this) is 10430, which is significantly higher still.

I take it your 2700 is not overclocked? Judging by the clock frequency of around 3.5GHz, that appears to be the case. The 2700 comes set to really conservative clocks by default, dropping the frequency significantly when more than a couple cores are loaded to keep the power draw and temperatures low, which is the main thing differentiating it from the 2700X. It can push similar clocks with an overclock though, and should be able to push its single-core boost of around 4-4.1GHZ across all cores when overclocked provided adequate cooling is available, roughly around 15% faster than what you are likely seeing under multithreaded workloads. Even if you are using the stock cooler it should be possible to get near 4GHz, though with elevated fan noise.

An overclock would help raise your CPU performance (and score) up a bit, though it still won't quite compete with Intel and AMD's latest higher-end processors. With an X570 motherboard, you should have the option of upgrading to a Ryzen 5000-series processor though, should you feel the need for more CPU performance than an overclock can provide.

You might also want to verify that your RAM is set to operate at its full rated speed if you haven't already, as some motherboards will default to something lower if you don't specifically tell them otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800
Jan 15, 2021
Hi,

My MB driver is 1.1.0.0 (AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.1.0.0 ) which is the second latest up to date released.

Keyboard im not sure but ill check.

I'm using the original thermal cooling it comes with, should i switch to the MB cooling seal it has? I have a MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi . Perhaps it is a heating issue?

Corsair MP600: my main SSD
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1927_1930&item_id=134016

WD Black SN750: storage SSD
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1927_1930&item_id=138832

Given what i said, what do you think?

D

Deleted member 2838871

Hi guys,

I'm score below average on my 3080 with a Ryzen 7 2700. Compared to other withthe same CPU they are scoring 16000 while im at 14000. Can anyone explain this?

Link to 3D Mark Test: http://www.3dmark.com/spy/18351650

I've seen scores vary by up to 2000 pts just from a simple overclock being too high. Oh look I got a great score let me boost that GPU just a little more and BAM... errors will tank the score even though the benchmark successfully completes. I saw it when benching my system after I first built it.

Multiple factors at play.
It's performing as it should.

That. ^

Hi,

My MB driver is 1.1.0.0

Keyboard im not sure but ill check.

Given what i said, what do you think?

3DMark tests are mainly for epeen flexing... You got 14k and saw others with the same CPU getting 16k? Here's my 20k. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/17188357 Other than the obvious difference in 3080 and 3090 your card also ran a lot warmer than mine. Could that have an effect? I dunno. The biggest difference in yours and mine is the CPU score...

So many variables go into it. In addition to the above mentioned overclocking errors you have things like power limit throttling that could hold you back. You can drive yourself insane trying to figure out or just let it go and not worry about it. I ran mine 2 months ago and don't care to run them again. Nothing else to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm looking at the motherboard support page, and I can't find that combo driver at all... unless...
If you are running Msi Dragon Center, for the love of god, uninstall it. If you need to control your LEDs, you can install Mystic Light separately. 3rd link down: https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/download

Those Gen 4 SSDs are dumb with the kind of cooling they need: active cooling, and location is important - installing it in the slot just above the gpu is like the worst place for it, if you put it there.
I watched a MP600 cooling test from Kitguru yesterday. It was a review for the custom liquid model, but the air cooled models were also included in their test.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65rvhEWS7I

The WD Black SN750 isn't too much of a concern here.

Jan 15, 2021
I'm looking at the motherboard support page, and I can't find that combo driver at all... unless...

Here is the link and the update version i have is 7B93v1A which should be the second one.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-WIFI#down-bios[/QUOTE]

If you are running Msi Dragon Center, for the love of god, uninstall it. If you need to control your LEDs, you can install Mystic Light separately. 3rd link down: https://www.msi.com/Landing/mystic-light-rgb-gaming-pc/download

I am using dragon center but i use it to control my fans as well and what percentage to use depending on temperature. Should i be using a different software to control fan speed etc?

Those Gen 4 SSDs are dumb with the kind of cooling they need: active cooling, and location is important - installing it in the slot just above the gpu is like the worst place for it, if you put it there.

That is exactly where i have my MP600, could that be the reason? I see the video it does impact performance but my MB only has two M.2 slots. Should i swap them? but the thing is im installing games in either SSD and i lag and the WD is below the GPU.

Jan 15, 2021
3DMark tests are mainly for epeen flexing... You got 14k and saw others with the same CPU getting 16k? Here's my 20k. https://www.3dmark.com/spy/17188357 Other than the obvious difference in 3080 and 3090 your card also ran a lot warmer than mine. Could that have an effect? I dunno. The biggest difference in yours and mine is the CPU score...

So many variables go into it. In addition to the above mentioned overclocking errors you have things like power limit throttling that could hold you back. You can drive yourself insane trying to figure out or just let it go and not worry about it. I ran mine 2 months ago and don't care to run them again. Nothing else to see.

Are you water cooling your system? Would you suggest waiting for AM5 to upgrade CPU's or hop on a ryzen 9 3900's or 5900's?

D

Deleted member 2838871

That is exactly where i have my MP600, could that be the reason? I see the video it does impact performance but my MB only has two M.2 slots. Should i swap them? but the thing is im installing games in either SSD and i lag and the WD is below the GPU.

If your SSD is the reason your score is 2000 pts lower I'll eat my shoe.

Sorry, just don't buy it... it could be a Gen 10 SSD and I still wouldn't buy it.

(I'm running Gen 3) The fault lies in your CPU or GPU.

Are you water cooling your system? Would you suggest waiting for AM5 to upgrade CPU's or hop on a ryzen 9 3900's or 5900's?

Yes I'm water cooling. As for CPU's, I can't comment on Ryzen because you can't buy them at retail price anywhere. That's why I went Intel... and I still got a beast CPU in 3 days. It's just not a Ryzen. :LOL:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Ok, NOW I see it. ✅

2)Just use bios. For the gpu, you can use Msi Afterburner's fan control.

3)There's a lack of active airflow there - even less so if the gpu's fans aren't running; I'm sure a model like that has a 0rpm mode when the gpu isn't in use.

4)You have games on both? Well, crap, IDK what to tell you there...

Jan 15, 2021
If your SSD is the reason your score is 2000 pts lower I'll eat my shoe.

Sorry, just don't buy it... it could be a Gen 10 SSD and I still wouldn't buy it.

(I'm running Gen 3) The fault lies in your CPU or GPU.

I have both SSD slots, the MP 600 which is right under my GPU but higher then it and the WB which is at the bottom. Reason why im asking it's an SSD issue because whenever im installing something my PC starts lagging... i dont know why and it never used to do that.

Yes I'm water cooling. As for CPU's, I can't comment on Ryzen because you can't buy them at retail price anywhere. That's why I went Intel... and I still got a beast CPU in 3 days. It's just not a Ryzen. :LOL:

I'm planning on water cooling and would love to get some tips and probably chat off forums if your okay with that.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I'm planning on water cooling and would love to get some tips and probably chat off forums if your okay with that.

Sure... not a problem at all. Always willing to offer advice. As for the SSDs... I don't think that's it. CPU/GPU as said...

Jan 15, 2021
1)Ok, NOW I see it. ✅

2)Just use bios. For the gpu, you can use Msi Afterburner's fan control.

3)There's a lack of active airflow there - even less so if the gpu's fans aren't running; I'm sure a model like that has a 0rpm mode when the gpu isn't in use.

4)You have games on both? Well, crap, IDK what to tell you there...

To confirm and understand what your saying.

1) use BIOS to set controls for fan speed for GPU?

2) MSI afterburner for fan control

3) Yes i use my main SSd to install games that i play often and other games i used the other SSD. I was installing BF2 today on my WD m.2 and the lag occurred. I was installing lego star wars on the WD a awhile back it happened as well. I completely installed windows and went to steam to install and the lag happened.