Getting a new graphics card. $50 budget. How to know if compatible?

HollowSkull

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I'm on a $50 budget to spend on a new graphics card. I want to be able to play stuff like Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, and Dead Space 2 at high settings/native resolution. For high-end games like Battlefield 3 and Crysis I'm fine with turning graphics down to lowest settings. Also, I would like to know how to check whether a graphics card is compatible with my computer. I tried googling but I'm don't quite understand all of this. I was hoping you guys would maybe help me understand better. Here are my specs:
Model: Acer Aspire X3400G
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 255 3.10GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 9200
Ram: 4.00 GB

It seems like you have a slimline Acer computer, and it will not fit regular sized graphics cards.

That being said, they do make graphics cards that are not regular sized.

The only problem is, your power supply is not regular sized either. I have an Acer Aspire X1301, and right now, I have removed the whole thing from the case, and am running it on my desk just sitting there. I upgraded the power supply to support my graphics card.

Seeing as your budget is $50, there is not much of a choice for you. If you are willing to stretch a few dollars, this would be a good choice:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161409

With that card, it would work within the 14a on the 12V rail of your power supply, but it would struggle, along with your processor in games like Crysis and BF3, especially multiplayer.

HollowSkull

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

I'm not really a multiplayer guy except for Team Fortress 2 and some other games my computer can kinda handle right now. What my eyes are really on right now is Deus Ex 3. Have you checked out the model of my computer? I don't want to regret buying the graphics card because it won't fit. How similar is it to your computer? I'm sorry if I'm asking a bit much, but I'm kinda desperate.

Mine is quite similar to yours, but I have a new case on order (that I'm actually not sure that will fit)

My processor is slower, but most of the other components are probably roughly the same. The only reason I would say that you should get a new case over the new power supply, because after extensive research, I have not been able to find a power supply to fit my Acer. It might be different for yours, but the cutout on the case is specific to the power supply in the computer.

Right now, my computer is actually not in the case as I await the arrival of my new case, which may or may not fit the motherboard I have. Its just sitting on my desk hooked up to a brand new Antec Earthwatts EA-380D.

I would recommend a new power supply and a new case, that way you could get whatever graphics card you wanted. It might not be in your budget, but it is the best option for the price. Your processor is going to hold you back a bit, but there really isnt much of an other option.

EDIT: You could get a Radeon HD6570, but I'm pretty sure that does not meet the minimum requirements for BF3

HollowSkull

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Im not really into BF3, I'm just using it as an example. Though you're never sure of that game. Sometimes it good, sometimes it's not -_- Anyways thx guys. KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS COMING! :bounce:

Cummins801

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

Did putting the internals in a new case ever work out?