[SOLVED] Getting bad scores on memory benchmarks what could be the problem and what could be the solution?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I currently have 32GB of Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz RGB RAM. I have tried to Benchmark my memory with PerformanceTest and it says my results are in the 28th percentile which is crazy. Its 1600mhz and dual channel and thats how its being read so i have no clue what the problem is. Its set as XMP in my bios and being read correctly . So i cant figure out what the problem is with my memory? They in the right slots too. So what else causes RAM to score so badly in a benchmark test? Its a good name brand, fast speed and a good amount of RAM at 32GB. Im really stumped. I dont really notice any speed problems but at the same time i dont do anything too crazy that would require a lot of RAM . I have tried other benchmark software not too long ago and got a bad score on their too. So any help anybody can offer id greatly appreciate it.

Solution
horrible. no matter what kit of ram i install and no matter what slots i put them in it either wont post or i get horrible benchmark scores. i just installed a new kit that was 4000mhz and could only get it to post at 3800mhz and still get a horrible benchmark in multiple different benchmark programs.

And still, you are at 2 sticks in dual channel, in a quad channel motherboard.

And still, you are worrying about benchmarks instead of actually using your PC.
I currently have 32GB of Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz RGB RAM. I have tried to Benchmark my memory with PerformanceTest and it says my results are in the 28th percentile which is crazy. Its 1600mhz and dual channel and thats how its being read so i have no clue what the problem is. Its set as XMP in my bios and being read correctly . So i cant figure out what the problem is with my memory? They in the right slots too. So what else causes RAM to score so badly in a benchmark test? Its a good name brand, fast speed and a good amount of RAM at 32GB. Im really stumped. I dont really notice any speed problems but at the same time i dont do anything too crazy that would require a lot of RAM . I have tried other benchmark software not too long ago and got a bad score on their too. So any help anybody can offer id greatly appreciate it.
Run this and post a link to the result page.
PC Benchmark

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
If you have 2 16GB RAM sticks and they are not in the good slots it could be that they are not running in Dual Channel. That would tank the performance of your RAM.

nope like i said before i checked a bunch of times looking in my motherboard manual and i definitely have them in the right spot and the computer is reading them correctly and with the xmp profile they are even showing up at 3200mhz. 1600mhz and dual channel but still get horrible benchmark.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Start with do you have xmp enabled in the bios?
Do you have the sticks in the proper slots?
See manual page 1-5.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2066/TUF_X299_MARK2/E12906_TUF_X299_MARK2_UM_WEB.pdf
Yes i do have them in the correct slots according to motherboard manual and the XMP profile is enabled in the bios and the pc is reading the speed correctly and that its dual channel.

i have been going through the manual over and over and cant find any problem.

Yes i do have them in the correct slots according to motherboard manual and the XMP profile is enabled in the bios and the pc is reading the speed correctly and that its dual channel.

i have been going through the manual over and over and cant find any problem.
Get the latest bios/chipset driver/intel ME see if it makes a diff.

Perhaps try a different speed test.

After that I would think it was ram swap time just to get that out of the mix.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
RAM not that old. i do have another 16gb of TridentZ 3200mhz that i wish i could get to work with the corsair ram but because they are from different kits i couldnt get them all to work together. There has got to be a reason its not working the way it should?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Get the latest bios/chipset driver/intel ME see if it makes a diff.

Perhaps try a different speed test.

After that I would think it was ram swap time just to get that out of the mix.

So any ideas what could be causing me to be getting bad benchmark scores with my ram? i looked up reviews on that ram and it looks like decent ram and its a decent speed so why would my ram be performing so poorly? something has got to be causing that no? i may try the other ram i have which is g-skill trident z 8gb sticks at 3200mhz 16gb. should i see if that runs better?

So any ideas what could be causing me to be getting bad benchmark scores with my ram? i looked up reviews on that ram and it looks like decent ram and its a decent speed so why would my ram be performing so poorly? something has got to be causing that no? i may try the other ram i have which is g-skill trident z 8gb sticks at 3200mhz 16gb. should i see if that runs better?
Are these 2 sticks of corsair ram a kit or were these 2 separate sticks and you bought 2?

Did you do the updates I asked about?

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
Are these 2 sticks of corsair ram a kit or were these 2 separate sticks and you bought 2?

Did you do the updates I asked about?
Yes both sticks of ram are from the same kit.
My bios is up to date. What else should be updated?
This is what i have for a pc what do you want me to upgrade or download for it?

intel i9 7900x
Asus x299 mark 2 motherboard
(2) Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200mhz ram sticks
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid 12gb
1tb Samsung EVO Plus m.2 ssd
Corsair RM850x power supply
EKWB coolstream 360mm PE
EKWB coolstream 360mm SE
Barrowch FBLTFHI-04N-V2, For Intel Lga115X/X99/X299 CPU Water Blocks, Digital Display Temperature Microwaterway
Barrowch External Expansion Display Screen With 8.8 Inches 1920*480px Multifunction Synchronous Monitoring Interface FBEHD-01
Bykski D5 PWM Water Cooling Pumps
(6) uphere pc fans for liquid cooling radiators
Channelz PC-O11 XL Single D5 Reservoir Distribution Plate
WD Blue WD10EZEX - Hard drive - 1 TB - internal - 3.5-inch

Last edited:
This is what i have for a pc what do you want me to upgrade or download for it?

intel i9 7900x
Asus x299 mark 2 motherboard
(2) Corsair Vengeance RGB 16gb 3200mhz ram sticks
EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid 12gb
1tb Samsung EVO Plus m.2 ssd
Corsair RM850x power supply
EKWB coolstream 360mm PE
EKWB coolstream 360mm SE
Barrowch FBLTFHI-04N-V2, For Intel Lga115X/X99/X299 CPU Water Blocks, Digital Display Temperature Microwaterway
Barrowch External Expansion Display Screen With 8.8 Inches 1920*480px Multifunction Synchronous Monitoring Interface FBEHD-01
Bykski D5 PWM Water Cooling Pumps
(6) uphere pc fans for liquid cooling radiators
Channelz PC-O11 XL Single D5 Reservoir Distribution Plate
WD Blue WD10EZEX - Hard drive - 1 TB - internal - 3.5-inch
I asked about the bios/chipset driver/intel ME.
You skipped right over it.
I asked if the ram came as a kit of 2 or you bought 2 separate sticks.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
I asked about the bios/chipset driver/intel ME.
I asked if the ram came as a kit of 2 or you bought 2 separate sticks.
no i said it did come in a kit and i did update the bios not sure about the chipset where is the correct update for that i will do it.

userbenchmark
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44944923

Last edited:

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
You have a 4-channel CPU, but you've only installed 2 DIMMs. You need to install 2 more.

It's possible that because your CPU is configured for 4-channel, it performs worse with 2-channel than a true 2-channel CPU would. With only 2 out of 4 memory channels populated, some of your CPU cores may have to access a remote channel via another CPU core. With a true 2-channel CPU, every CPU core will typically have direct access to at least 1 channel. But with a 4-channel CPU where only 2 channels are activated, you might have a situation where half your CPU cores have no memory channel, so they have to ask another CPU to fetch memory for them.

For example, I have an octo (8)-channel CPU (the ThreadRipper Pro 3955WX). When I installed only 6 DIMMs, CPU-Z detected hexa (6)-channel, but my performance was even lower than when I installed 2 or 4 DIMMs. It's all a function of your CPU's architecture, and how the different memory channels are connected to the dies. In my case, having 6 channels was actually worse than having 2 or 4 channels. But when I populated all 8 channels, my performance returned to normal.

So go fill 2 more channels with identical DIMMs and rerun the benchmark.

kwikvinny

Reputable
Nov 13, 2017
You have a 4-channel CPU, but you've only installed 2 DIMMs. You need to install 2 more.

It's possible that because your CPU is configured for 4-channel, it performs worse with 2-channel than a true 2-channel CPU would. With only 2 out of 4 memory channels populated, some of your CPU cores may have to access a remote channel via another CPU core. With a true 2-channel CPU, every CPU core will typically have direct access to at least 1 channel. But with a 4-channel CPU where only 2 channels are activated, you might have a situation where half your CPU cores have no memory channel, so they have to ask another CPU to fetch memory for them.

For example, I have an octo (8)-channel CPU (the ThreadRipper Pro 3955WX). When I installed only 6 DIMMs, CPU-Z detected hexa (6)-channel, but my performance was even lower than when I installed 2 or 4 DIMMs. It's all a function of your CPU's architecture, and how the different memory channels are connected to the dies. In my case, having 6 channels was actually worse than having 2 or 4 channels. But when I populated all 8 channels, my performance returned to normal.

So go fill 2 more channels with identical DIMMs and rerun the benchmark.
i got 2 new sticks of ram being delivered today so we will see how they work

Reactions: mikewinddale