[SOLVED] Getting BSOD at seemingly random times

Aug 30, 2019
Hey, I've tried to format this to match other posts but please let me know if there's any other information I should include.

Not long after I built my PC last month I began getting a critical structure corruption BSOD. It appears to happen at random times without any rhyme or reason. I couldn't pin down any specific program I installed before it started or anything I'm consistently doing that might cause it. When I'm using my PC it tends to happen about once per day.

Minidumps: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RIOzXyQBNkA4_YVqkaa26KM4sT6UyAwK?usp=sharing

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Buikes/saved/JLWjpg

Solution
Do you have latest BIOS? My friend forwarded a conversion but its not showing any system information which can be a sign of an outdated BIOS. Latest here is version 1005 - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

2 of the crashes were in csrss.exe which is the service windows uses to run the user. So when it crashes, windows has no option but to shut down. Both blame a win 8 driver which in windows debug language mans also a win 10 driver, so not exactly reducing odds.

See if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and...

Colif

Win 11 Master
i can't read dumps but will send a link to a friend who will convert them for me - he will reply and may be able to help directly or leave a link I can use to see if I can figure it out.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

try downloading HD Sentinel Trial and check your 2 drives out, look on the disk tab and run any tests you can.

Just a quick look, further analysis needed.
The dumps tend to fall into two categories

8/16

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007e)

CURRENT_IRQL: 0

MODULE_NAME: memory_corruption
IMAGE_NAME: memory_corruption

amdgpio2.sys Nov 12 2018
AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys T May 28 2019
AppleLowerFilter.sys May 7 2018
AppleKmdfFilter.sys May 7 2018
AsIO2.sys Apr 9 2019
AsIO.sys Aug 22 2012
duetbus.sys Mar 20 2017
ene.sys Mar 19 2018
GLCKIO2.sys Apr 22 2019
ibtusb.sys May 23 2019
nvhda64v.sys Mar 18 2019
nvvhci.sys Aug 16 2018
nvlddmkm.sys Jul 17 2019
UcmCxUcsiNvppc.sys Dec 9 2018

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8/30

CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION (109)

This bugcheck is generated when the kernel detects that critical kernel code or
data have been corrupted. There are generally three causes for a corruption:
1) A driver has inadvertently or deliberately modified critical kernel code
or data. See http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/64bitPatching.mspx
2) A developer attempted to set a normal kernel breakpoint using a kernel
debugger that was not attached when the system was booted. Normal breakpoints,
"bp", can only be set if the debugger is attached at boot time. Hardware
breakpoints, "ba", can be set at any time.
3) A hardware corruption occurred, e.g. failing RAM holding kernel code or data.
Arguments:

Arg4: 0000000000000001, Type of corrupted region
1 : Modification of a function or .pdata

CURRENT_IRQL: 2

MODULE_NAME: nt
IMAGE_NAME: ntkrnlmp.exe

amdgpio2.sys Nov 12 2018
AMDRyzenMasterDriver.sys May 28 2019
AsIO2.sys Apr 9 2019
AsIO.sys Aug 22 2012
duetbus.sys Mar 20 2017
ene.sys Mar 19 2018
GLCKIO2.sys Apr 22 2019
ibtusb.sys May 23 2019
ocusbvid111.sys Aug 26 2016
OCULUS119B.sys Mar 11 2016
Oculus_ViGEmBus.sys Aug 2 2017
nvhda64v.sys Mar 18 2019
nvvhci.sys Aug 16 2018
nvlddmkm.sys Jul 17 2019

---------------------------------------------------

You are running RGB control software?

Last edited:
Reactions: gardenman and Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
You are running RGB control software?

its part of the motherboard drivers. I assume you mean these
ene.sys Mar 19 2018
GLCKIO2.sys Apr 22 2019

duetbus.sys is for running 2 monitors
ibtusb.sys is wireless bluetooth (guess initials do make sense)

next two are Asus Input Output drivers - can cause BSOD but not normally this type
AsIO2.sys Apr 9 2019
AsIO.sys Aug 22 2012

these two tie into attaching an apple device -
AppleLowerFilter.sys May 7 2018
AppleKmdfFilter.sys May 7 2018

last 5 drivers are all part of Nvidia GPU drivers.

Oldest driver is an Asus one, it should be okay as its on almost every Asus motherboard prior to this years, and you board is brand new.

See if any new drivers for the Occulus device.

As other troubleshooting steps.

RGB control software has caused crashes in some configurations from info I have seen on other boards. Uninstalling it as a troubleshooting step would be warranted.

If running your memory in the equivalent of XMP mode, loosening the timings and frequency and slowly working up may be helpful. Though rated for 1.35 V, as 16Gb sticks, they may need slightly more voltage for stability at full speed compared to 8Gb ones.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Do you have latest BIOS? My friend forwarded a conversion but its not showing any system information which can be a sign of an outdated BIOS. Latest here is version 1005 - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS-WI-FI/HelpDesk_BIOS/

2 of the crashes were in csrss.exe which is the service windows uses to run the user. So when it crashes, windows has no option but to shut down. Both blame a win 8 driver which in windows debug language mans also a win 10 driver, so not exactly reducing odds.

See if this helps
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Solution
Aug 30, 2019
I will try the suggestions above. I wanted to add that it just blue screened on user log in with “Page Fault in Non Page area”

Edit: and another “System Thread Exception Not Handled”

Last edited:
Here is what your dumps reported. My first guess would be that this is some type of thermal issue, however the latest Ryzen chips are hard to get accurate temps on, from what I am hearing. However, you can still try a program like CPUID HWMonitor. If it doesn't give you accurate CPU core temps, it will at least verify other temps and that your fans (CPU, GPU, and case fans wired to the board) are spinning at adequate speeds.

If all that checks out, personally, I would at least re-apply the thermal paste on your CPU to rule overheating out.

On Tue 9/3/2019 9:36:57 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090319-9843-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1BFCC0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFFFFF677E87F, 0x0, 0xFFFFF802505000E1, 0x2)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Mon 9/2/2019 1:26:42 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090219-9937-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x109 (0xA39FE95F56B8D990, 0xB3B6F5E5A9372241, 0xFFFFF80458AFFF34, 0x1)
Error: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that the kernel has detected critical kernel code or data corruption.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

On Mon 9/2/2019 8:33:57 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090219-9890-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x109 (0xA3A0206196D2B591, 0xB3B72CE7E950FE42, 0xFFFFF8074E2FFF20, 0x1)
Error: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that the kernel has detected critical kernel code or data corruption.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

Colif

Win 11 Master
who crashed as usual blaming ntoskrnl for everything. If only we didn't need the windows kernel to run windows. It would solve so many bsod.

I have sent link to gardenman, he will reply once he has converted the dumps. We should be able to see what drivers were running at the time.

who crashed as usual blaming ntoskrnl for everything. If only we didn't need the windows kernel to run windows. It would solve so many bsod.

I have sent link to gardenman, he will reply once he has converted the dumps. We should be able to see what drivers were running at the time.

I was mainly just pointing out the error message. Sorry if I bothered you with the app I used. Microsoft's debug diagnostic tool points all his latest dumps to "ntkrnlmp.exe", same as cherry blossoms found in the OPs earlier dumps. Probably overheating or a bad memory stick if I had to guess, since I believe the OP has ruled out software (and it is a VERY new machine). You can run memtest for hours OP, but I usually find it easier to just take out one stick and see if the problem returns (and swap as necessary).

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its not you, I remember trying to use Whocrashed to identify problems before Gardenman offered his services. It just seems to waste more time than is needed.

as it stands, they didn't tell me a great deal.

Update oculus drivers, they from 2016