[SOLVED] Getting low performance in games...

Feb 28, 2020
Hey, so my laptop's been struggling to run pretty much any game for a while now. It's getting pretty low performance, specifically while playing Minecraft for some reason. The CPU shoots all he way up to a 100% usage and the RAM follows along with it's whopping 80 to 90%. I've been trying to fix the issue for a while, browsing forums and whatnot and I've come across a few explanations as to why my pc just seems to hate Minecraft. So I've been fiddling with java incessantly, changing values, RAM usage...Nothing. As of now, Minecraft runs at 29 fps or so. But also I undervolted my CPU a few months back and I was wondering if the poor performance I've been getting was a side effect of that. Anyhow thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to reply and help me out.

My rig :
Acer Nitro AN515-51
CPU : Intel Core i5 7300HQ @ 2.5ghz (4 CPUs)
GPU : Geforce GTX 1050 2gb VRAM
RAM : 6gb

Solution
Hey,

Yes, certainly. Upping resolution can surely decrease performance. But, you should still be able to get reasonable performance at 1080p with the GTX 1050. See if going back down to 768p gives you the FPS you're expecting. If so, you know thats the issue. But, Id still expect decent enough performance at the native res of 1080p.

Is windows fully updated? There was a recent KB patch that caused some stuttering in games. You might check that.
Hey there.

What res is your laptop screen?

Whilst your laptop is not exactly a gaming beast it's not the weakest either. It should be okay at medium settings for 1080p in average games. Certainly for minecraft, it should crush it. However, for any new modern games, you will have issues.

Your CPU is middle of the road for even 5 years ago. The GPU is low-mid end for 1080p gaming. In some games you will have to dial back settings to medium or less just to keep 60 hz/fps consistently.

With 6gb of system ram, you will hit a limit too in certain games. With some of the ram reserved for hardware, and some taken up by anything else you have running in the backround (i.e Chrome etc) you may only have 4-5 gbs of usable system ram for gaming. Most games at 1080p will use close to or even more than 8gbs. Once your system ram maxes out, your system will then start to use the swap/page file/virtual mem instead. This can really slow down your gaming, and cause massive FPS drops.

Feb 28, 2020
Hey there.

What res is your laptop screen?

Whilst your laptop is not exactly a gaming beast it's not the weakest either. It should be okay at medium settings for 1080p in average games. Certainly for minecraft, it should crush it. However, for any new modern games, you will have issues.

Your CPU is middle of the road for even 5 years ago. The GPU is low-mid end for 1080p gaming. In some games you will have to dial back settings to medium or less just to keep 60 hz/fps consistently.

With 6gb of system ram, you will hit a limit too in certain games. With some of the ram reserved for hardware, and some taken up by anything else you have running in the backround (i.e Chrome etc) you may only have 4-5 gbs of usable system ram for gaming. Most games at 1080p will use close to or even more than 8gbs. Once your system ram maxes out, your system will then start to use the swap/page file/virtual mem instead. This can really slow down your gaming, and cause massive FPS drops.

thank you for the reply!

my laptop is at 1920x1080p, although when I first got it the base resolution was already set at 1366x768p.
did that change impact performance in any capacity? I've been using this resolution since I bought the thing, do you recommend reverting back to 1366x768p?

I'm aware the specs aren't quite cut out for heavy gaming activity, but as you said prior, there shouldn't be any CPU bottleneck on Minecraft of all things.

I'll get some more ram in the near future but in the meantime do you have any insight as to what I could do to reduce CPU usage?

Thanks for taking the time!

Hey,

Yes, certainly. Upping resolution can surely decrease performance. But, you should still be able to get reasonable performance at 1080p with the GTX 1050. See if going back down to 768p gives you the FPS you're expecting. If so, you know thats the issue. But, Id still expect decent enough performance at the native res of 1080p.

Is windows fully updated? There was a recent KB patch that caused some stuttering in games. You might check that.

Solution