Question Getting nVidia control panel v-sync setting to work on laptop with Optimus

jy.heidner

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to for v-sync in a game using the nVidia driver settings. Normally I just use the in-game vsync, but in this case is is so badly implemented that I need to force it. As most people probably know, the nVidia control center doesn't work properly on Optimus systems. The settings do not take effect.

I've read two steps which supposedly make it work:

1. Go to the Intel Graphics control panel and set v-sync to be driver controlled instead of letting the application decide.

2. Disable full screen optimizations for the .exe of the game.

I have tried both, but it didn't help. The settings don't work in the game. Several people have reported this to be a fix, so either I am missing something, or it simply doesn't work anymore. I haven't found any other suggestions even after googling extensively.

Does anyone know how to get the v-sync setting to work? Are there any other things I could try?

Thank you!

jy.heidner

Prominent
Jan 5, 2019
Just don't use vsync, it's generally bad. Cap your FPS.
Capping FPS won't remove tearing. So no, vsync isn't "bad". It does exactly what I want it to do. And capping frames a little bit below refresh rate removes most of the input delay vsync adds, so there is literally no disadvantage for games which aren't competitive shooters. Please keep answers on-topic and at least know what you're talking about.

Some things won't work on the NVIDIA GPU side because the GPU isn't connected to the laptop's display. This includes V-Sync.

(if your curious how it even works then, the NVIDIA GPU copies what it rendered to the iGPU's framebuffer).
Thanks! I know how it works, but I had it work on an older laptop with Optimus and was curious if there was anything I could do to get it to work on this one. What you're saying is that it's not possible to fix through settings and software because the hardware isn't even set up in a way for it to wok, correct?

What confuses me a bit is that I do seem to recall that half refresh rate vsync used to work with some games a year ago...