Getting stuck at windows xp start up.

I am using Windows XP Home Edition and i recently rebooted my computer
because it was very slow and the PC usage was very high. Anyways, I rebooted
and when i turned my computer back on, it would not go past the Windows is
starting up" screen. I rebooted again and started up in safe mode with
networking and backed up all my important files in case ihad to reformat, but
i would rather find out what is causing the situation and fix that before i
have to reformat. It worked fine all the time up until this point and i cant
think of anything i have done in the past to cause this stuckage. Thanks.

-Allyson

Try another repair operation and see if that helps. Also, while in Safe
Mode, you can try uninstalling all software you don't need and even
uninstalling hardware as it will be reinstalled upon successful boot up
to Winodws. A clean install of XP at this point would be a good idea.
If possible, I would download Service Pack 2 to install as soon as you
put XP back on before you connect to the internet. This will prevent
you from getting the MSBlast Virus and any other exploits that have been
fixed. You can download the network install here (266 MB):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

----
Nathan McNulty