Getting the "Connect the PCIe Power Cable(s) for this Graphics Card" error on my far-from-new build.

LightninLew

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
What could cause this problem to start on an older machine? After searching I've only found people experiencing this issue with new builds. My computer has been running without this issue since 2013 and nothing has been changed since then.

I have a Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W & a GTX 650 Ti Boost. Do either of these have known issues that may cause this? Or could my poor cable management be causing the cable to have slowly bent over the years?

I don't know if this is just a coincidence but my brother, who uses my computer for games far more than me says that Civ 6 (probably the most modern game on my computer) triggers this error shortly after running. Is this even possible? I've personally only witnessed it on startup after he has used my computer.

LightninLew

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
All the cables seem to be plugged in just fine. When the error occurs I always inspect the cable at both ends and can see nothing loose or out of the ordinary. Unplugging & reinserting temporarily fixes the issue sometimes. Could it be as simple as an old, faulty cable?

My cable management is near non-existent so the PCIe Power Cable is pulling downwards under it's own weight. Should this have any effect at all?

LightninLew

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
I do have an old card I could switch in but it would be impractical because of how sporadic this issue is. It just seems to happen randomly & can go weeks with no issue. Would it be possible for a heavy load to trigger an issue like this? It has never happened when performing less intensive tasks. It seems silly to me because Windows says it is an issue with a cable, but there does seem to be a pattern.

What is the issue with this PSU? When I bought it the reviews mostly seemed positive. It was only after I bought it that I saw it being called poor in passing on forums like this.