Discussion getting the same fps after installing a crazy new cpu

Feb 7, 2022
So I went from a i5-9600k to a i9-12900k and Ive pretty much gotten no performance change whatsoever. I play escape from tarkov which is an insanely cpu reliant game, so I thought upgrading would do the job, but i literally have not noticed any difference in the games performance. I avg around 70-90 fps and was aiming for about 120+, which is why i ended up buying a new cpu, but im unsure if maybe there are some steps i havent taken after installing a new cpu? pc doesnt even rly feel faster, im a bit concerned on whether or not i just wasted a lot of money on a useless upgrade.

specs
msi z690 a pro
rtx 2070 super
i9- 12900k
32gb ram

Feb 7, 2022
What resolution?
Did you reinstall Windows after changing motherboard?
What speed is the RAM running at and is it in dual channel mode?
1920x1080. I haven’t installed a new version of windows yet. I’m on windows 11 and I couldn’t find any way to redownload windows 11, i’ll have to look in to it more later. When I get home i’ll also check the ram.

Feb 7, 2022
What resolution?
Did you reinstall Windows after changing motherboard?
What speed is the RAM running at and is it in dual channel mode?
Just reinstalled windows. Boosted fps a little bit (around 10%). Ram is running at 2133MHz. Think there's anything else I could do to boost the cpu to its max?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Enable xmp in bios to 3200.

Also, that game has fps issues itself after some update not long ago.

Feb 7, 2022
Enable xmp in bios to 3200.

Also, that game has fps issues itself after some update not long ago.

Yes I know the game is not perfectly optimized. Before purchasing the 12900k I watched some videos with similar specs to mine and this person would get 100fps+ consistently on HIGH graphics. I'm running every single graphic setting on low and Im barely able to break 100+ consistently with better specs then he has now. I don't understand how this could be.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XXMz-MGf-Y&t=405s

Feb 7, 2022
Not bad.
I suspect that in the bios, there is a setting that will allow a full turbo clock when conditions are right.
This will be more effective as a rule that overclocking.

That said, I think your performance issue is not with the cpu, but with some game setting.
Yea, after changing the ram speed I actually ended up hitting 144+fps with frequent drops down to the 110s. I just feel that this is a little underwhelming considering compared to my last cpu, this is a massive leap in quality. I still feel that there are a lot of tweaks I can make like you said to still keep pushing the best performance out of my cpu.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Feb 7, 2022
Was searching about possibility of turning off efficiency cores in bios might improve performance if game doesn't like or doesn't support ignoring ecores but found this in relation to forcing game to using physical cores rather than hyperthreading which people have been doing to improve performance. Maybe since your last cpu didn't have HT that might be hurting performance now.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/rp3vcc/only_use_physical_cores_setting_is_broken_let_me/
Yes that could be a possibility. Ill try and play around with the settings and see if they end up helping at all.