[SOLVED] Getting used to 4 ms response time after years of 1 ms?

Mar 22, 2020
For a few years I had been decently content with my 144hz 1ms TN monitor. It worked really well for gaming, but the image quality left something to be desired. However the poor colours bugged me for a while, and so recently I purchased the Acer EI272UR. As you can imagine, going from a 1080 24" TN panel to a 2K 27" VA panel with HDR was extremely enjoyable, especially when I watched an HDR video for the first time. My reaction to when I booted up some FPS was much less positive though; some slower games are tolerable, but faster paced ones like Quake 1 & 2 make me want to claw my eyes out of their sockets. Perhaps its just my monitor, but on normal overdrive 4ms response time seems like a blurry mess compared to 1 ms, and turning on extreme overdrive subjects me to what looks like an exceptionally poor sharpening and chromatic aberration filter.

TLDR: Do you think I could get used to 4ms response time for gaming after years of 1ms, or should I continue to use my TN for gaming? I really love the colours and image quality but my eyes are suffering.

Solution
The response times of any monitor are typically with overdrive maxed out with inverse ghosting. Of course that's not how people will actually use their monitor but I'm pointing out that it's a useless number on the spec sheet. You should find pro reviews to see actual numbers if you can but I don't see any for that monitor. Unfortunately while va does have nice color, most of the panels haven't improved the response times enough to handle 144hz yet. You can get better color than tn with an ips which has fast enough panels but you have to deal with ips glow.
The response times of any monitor are typically with overdrive maxed out with inverse ghosting. Of course that's not how people will actually use their monitor but I'm pointing out that it's a useless number on the spec sheet. You should find pro reviews to see actual numbers if you can but I don't see any for that monitor. Unfortunately while va does have nice color, most of the panels haven't improved the response times enough to handle 144hz yet. You can get better color than tn with an ips which has fast enough panels but you have to deal with ips glow.

Solution