Getting variable fps. Should I cap at 30 or have triple buffering with vsync?

semichaud1

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
So I've got a ryzen 5 1600 and gtx 1070 with 16 gb ddr4 ram. In Final Fantasy XIII my fps varies constantly between 25 and 60. I suppose the game is badly optimized or simply not optimized to take advanteg of all the cores ryzen has. In order to have a more consistant framerate, should I cap it at 30 or enable vsync with triple buffering?

semichaud1

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

The game does not have many graphics settings options. It only has: screen setting (fullscreen, window), sound settings (english, japanese), shadow resolution, antialiasing and resolution options. It also doesn't have any vsync option. I am setting this via the nvidia control panel. Besides I have tried running the game on the lowest possible settings and resolution and the fps still varies as described. I have been running the game on adaptive half refresh rate via nvidia control panel and the fps is definitely a lot more consistant. Going to try running with vsync and triple buffering on.

semichaud1

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

CPU utlization varies between 3% and 12%. One to three cores have spikes from time to time but they never reach 100%. More like 80%.

kiwiszijncool

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
Lowering the resolution greatly decreases the stress on your gpu. But i have a 1070 and its runs me pretty well. I doubt that the cpu is really under low load. There has to be a software issue or a temperature issue

semichaud1

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

Well as mentioned before the issue occurs even on lowest possible settings and lowest possible resolution. I will monitor the temps next time I play but I don’t think there’s a temp issue. My system is a few months old and I clean it with an electric air blower meant for cleaning pcs every month. And my casing has a design with a lot of holes everywhere to allow for maximum ventilation.