GF4 Ti comparison article

prism_emf

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Thanks for the article. I was especially happy to see the noise measurements, that's not something you can easily assess before actually purchasing the card.

But, just so I can do some nitpicking =) the cabling and connectors for Y/C video signal are called S-video, NOT S-VHS. SVHS is a video tape/recording standard.

G

I especially like the 2D comparison, as I suspected some manufacturers might cut some corners with cheaper versions of the TI series (MSI and VisionTek). This brings up the question; how about the even lower priced TI4200? I'm really considering the Gainward one, but I dont want to skimp on image quality :\ Does anyone have anything to say about this card?

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I'm really surprised at this supposed decrease in quality between the TI4600 and TI4400 from Visiontek. From a 2 to a 5...thats the lowest and highest scores on the chart respectively... I have the Visiontek TI4600 and i'm absolutely 100% thrilled with its quality and sharpness. I know a guy using the Visiontek 4400 but havnt compared image quality, perhaps i'll do that soon.

I am very pleasantly surprised to see visiontek that high up on the performance chart, this tells me two things, one that Visiontek has greatly improved its QA and Manufacturing processes and two that nVidia's reference designs are getting more and more efficient. I see no reason to buy a non-reference board anymore. Again, was very pleasantly surprised...i remember on the GF3's that visiontek was at the bottom for a few fps, so this is quite the improvement for them.

I've never used the TV in or out on my GeForce cards so i can't comment on that but i may try it just to see what they're talking about. On the other hand, whats wrong with S-Video? It sounds like they're talking down to it as though there was a far better option that they could have used... Not an expert here but S-Video is a good tool and very space saving, i know that much.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Noise mesurements were nice, especialy when they mentioned that was an issue when they previewed the cards several weeks ago. Note that the MSI card didn't have memory heat sinks while still being the loudest fan.

I was irked by the fact that they did not list their test setups, so who knows what CPU, Motherboard, memory, ect was used, and especialy which driver was used.

"Search your feelings you know it to be true, I am your... twin sister" - Darth Vader

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
While that would be cool to know as always. Its not essential in this test...its only essential that they were all tested on the exact same setup.

If it had been another ATI Vs. nVidia then it woulda irked me too-)

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Leadtek's two flagship models A250 TD and A250 Ultra

It seem to me that the models A250 TD was used in the test, why not the Ultra card, What Gives? Not happy about that.

Hey Baby, want to play with my computer?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You must have missed the <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/02q2/020522/ti4400_4600-12.html" target="_new">test setup configuration</A>.

They used an Athlon XP 2000+, Asus A7V266-E, 133 MHZ FSB, 256MB CL2 (brand not listed). Strangely, they used a variety of nVidia drivers. (I'm guessing they used the driver that shipped with each card).

I've only glanced at the article so I can't comment about anything else.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>