[SOLVED] Gigabyte aorus 3080 RTX xtreme rev 2.0 crashing above 2Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2021
Hey,

So after a fun time of installing drivers, updating bios, reinstalling windows and crap support from Nvidia i was able to pinpoint the issue...
If i leave the core voltage, and power limit on default, whenever the core clock hits above 2Ghz the game will crash...

If i raise the power limit + voltage to max and it's above 2Ghz it runs fine, however, i dont feel too good about it in the long run (it hits 1100Mv around 2075 ghz...)

If i underclock by -50hz, it runs fine but there is a decrease in performance that i dont really want to sacrifice...

Any ideas about best practice here? Haven't done much overclocking and it's the first time i hit such an issue with a GPU...
For the relevant specs -

AMD Ryzen 5900X
Coolermaster 850W PSU
ROG Strix B550-F
XPG 4x8GB 3200Mhz

Thanks! =]

Sep 27, 2021
What is the exact make and model of the PSU? The RTX 3000 series of cards are know to power spike causing issues. It has been recommended fo 3080/ 3080 Ti to ether limit the card, get a very good 850w PSU, or bump up to a 1000W unit.
Cooler master v850 ATX 850W Black (RS850-AFBAG1-US)
I mean, it would be fine if it wasn't getting enough power - but if i bump the power limit to the max, it runs fine above 2Ghz under heavy load...

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021
Hello, luckly I got an Aorus 3080 Xtreme rev 2.0 last week and I just received it. I realized it might have some chronic problem after I bought it. Right now what I'm trying to see if my gpu have any of these pronlems.

What you say is whenever the core clock hits above 2Ghz the game crashes. But my card's core clock hover around 1900 on default. Even if I overclocked it to +100 on afterburner it didn't go over 2000mhz. I'm benchmarking with RDR2 and Superposition.

How could you go over 2ghz on default and had to underclock it?

Cooler master v850 ATX 850W Black (RS850-AFBAG1-US)
I mean, it would be fine if it wasn't getting enough power - but if i bump the power limit to the max, it runs fine above 2Ghz under heavy load...

This could be a defective GPU but it could also be a defective or failing 12v rail in the PSU from what you've described. Given how expensive and hard to replace GPUs are right now I'd recommend at least swapping out the PSU just to test it.

Sep 27, 2021
Hello, luckly I got an Aorus 3080 Xtreme rev 2.0 last week and I just received it. I realized it might have some chronic problem after I bought it. Right now what I'm trying to see if my gpu have any of these pronlems.

What you say is whenever the core clock hits above 2Ghz the game crashes. But my card's core clock hover around 1900 on default. Even if I overclocked it to +100 on afterburner it didn't go over 2000mhz. I'm benchmarking with RDR2 and Superposition.

How could you go over 2ghz on default and had to underclock it?

I really dont know what to tell you, im monitoring with afterburner and it hits 2ghz without me changing any values.
If i underclock it, it goes around 1950, beats me...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@alx01 @Wilzy
Compare driver versions as well as operating thermals.
Besides how frequently the gpu runs into the power limit, the temperature also affects what clocks the gpu settles on.

Most factory OC'ed models were too aggressive, that they were supposed to be patched down in driver updates...

Now that I think about it a little more, it could just be that the operating temperature is too high to stabilize 2ghz+ core clocks on Ampere.

Sep 27, 2021
I really dont know what to tell you, im monitoring with afterburner and it hits 2ghz without me changing any values.
If i underclock it, it goes around 1950, beats me...
That could be the problem here, maybe? Just check the link below, on Specification page boosted Core clock is 1905 MHz. I overclocked my gpu again to see if its gonna crash when over 2ghz, I gave +110 core clock on afterburner but still didnt go over 2ghz other than some spikes to 2050mhz. Your card's core clock goes to where it shouldn't be on default value, maybe that causes huge voltage spikes which your gpu or psu can't handle.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080AORUS-X-10GD-rev-20/sp#sp

My max temp. on RDR2 is 74 degree, mostly stays around 70-72. But weather here is quite hot though. My driver is 472.12.

Sep 27, 2021
That could be the problem here, maybe? Just check the link below, on Specification page boosted Core clock is 1905 MHz. I overclocked my gpu again to see if its gonna crash when over 2ghz, I gave +110 core clock on afterburner but still didnt go over 2ghz other than some spikes to 2050mhz. Your card's core clock goes to where it shouldn't be on default value, maybe that causes huge voltage spikes which your gpu or psu can't handle.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3080AORUS-X-10GD-rev-20/sp#sp

My max temp. on RDR2 is 74 degree, mostly stays around 70-72. But weather here is quite hot though. My driver is 472.12.
It seems you're indeed correct.
The stock settings are those, i've got other issues with it too (RGBFusion won't detect the card, even on a new installation of windows), I will try to decrease the clock to the default of 1905, and see how it plays out.
Don't tell me about hot weather, where i'm from it gets to 40C+ during summer times lol

From here i'm left with two choice, i either handle the core clock by my own and underclock the stock settings, or i activate the warranty.

I don't mind to activate the warranty because i still have my 3070RTX and it can keep me going just fine as this process can take weeks.

Edit -

You can see here, that even if the limit is by default set to 1905, it still spikes up to 2040.. it's unstable even if the default cap is on, then i underclock it and it doesnt go that high, and stays stable, sort of.

gigabyte.png

Edit #2 -

I underclocked it by 135, as it was going up high as 2040, which should result in a cap of 1905.
NOPE. still goes as high as 1920.... I'm waiting for a reply from Gigbabyte, but after reading about 40+ posts on reddit i'm very skeptical about the support im going to get regarding this.
I don't mind if they give me a bios update - i just think i shouldn't do the manual labor because they released a screwed OC factroy card.

Last edited:
Just an FYI most warranty replacement cards are refurbished cards, you wont get a brand new card back unless they run out of refurbs.

Depending on the temp of your card you could pull the target temp down from 83c to 70c to try and manually thermal throttle the card, that might keep it from boosting over 2k on the core.

I know on my 2080 Ti my card will go over the power target, on stock setting(100% power target) running time spy it will see spikes of 111% in time spy. with the power target set to the max 124% i see spikes in the low 130's for power target. I use EVGA Precesion X1 to monitor my card.

This could be where you are running into issues is these power spikes that ether the card or PSU cant handle.

Sep 27, 2021
Just an FYI most warranty replacement cards are refurbished cards, you wont get a brand new card back unless they run out of refurbs.

Depending on the temp of your card you could pull the target temp down from 83c to 70c to try and manually thermal throttle the card, that might keep it from boosting over 2k on the core.

I know on my 2080 Ti my card will go over the power target, on stock setting(100% power target) running time spy it will see spikes of 111% in time spy. with the power target set to the max 124% i see spikes in the low 130's for power target. I use EVGA Precesion X1 to monitor my card.

This could be where you are running into issues is these power spikes that ether the card or PSU cant handle.
Thanks.
is there an easy way to determine which of them cannot handle the power spikes?
If it's the PSU the solution is pretty obvious..

I also tried to game with the underlock, it reached 1920 but was stable with no crashes.

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
I’d talk to Gigabyte for a warranty claim. It should run stable at the stock settings provided by Gigabyte.
2Ghz isn't stock it's an overclock, stock speed on that card is 1905Mhz(may boost higher, but boost clocks aren't guaranteed). Overclocking is not covered by the warranty.

OP, its obvious that the card needs more power to run at that 2Ghz overclock, this is part of overclocking, its normal for an overclock to require more power to be stable. If you don't like how much power it requires to be stable and/or the temps it reaches then you will have to turn down the OC to find where it's stable with the voltage/temp you want.

This is not a PSU issue, if it was an issue of the PSU not being able to handle the spikes the PSU would be shutting down.

2Ghz isn't stock it's an overclock, stock speed on that card is 1905Mhz(may boost higher, but boost clocks aren't guaranteed). Overclocking is not covered by the warranty.

OP, its obvious that the card needs more power to run at that 2Ghz overclock, this is part of overclocking, its normal for an overclock to require more power to be stable. If you don't like how much power it requires to be stable and/or the temps it reaches then you will have to turn down the OC to find where it's stable with the voltage/temp you want.

This is not a PSU issue, if it was an issue of the PSU not being able to handle the spikes the PSU would be shutting down.
Maybe you don't like the term stock, while boosting to 2.0 GHz is not stock compared to reference specs it is not uncommon for factory overclocked 3080's to hit 2.0. My own Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC will occasionally boost to 2.0 using its stock/factory settings even though the spec says the core speed is 1.8GHz. I read the OP's post as the gpu won't run stable at its out the box settings which cause it to boost over 2.0. If I have followed it incorrectly then fair enough no end user overclock is guaranteed. However I entirely expect a factory overclocked card to run stable using its out the box settings and if it cannot I would want it replaced, it should be plug and play.

bignastyid

Titan
Maybe you don't like the term stock, while boosting to 2.0 GHz is not stock compared to reference specs it is not uncommon for factory overclocked 3080's to hit 2.0. My own Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC will occasionally boost to 2.0 using its stock/factory settings even though the spec says the core speed is 1.8GHz. I read the OP's post as the gpu won't run stable at its out the box settings which cause it to boost over 2.0. If I have followed it incorrectly then fair enough no end user overclock is guaranteed. However I entirely expect a factory overclocked card to run stable using its out the box settings and if it cannot I would want it replaced, it should be plug and play.
Maybe we just understood it differently as it sounded to me like the OP is trying a manual overclock not just stock boost settings. But after looking through the thread again that may not be the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: sizzling

bignastyid

Titan
I have the 3080 XTREME WATERFORCE 10G rev2, which has a lower stock clock and it's stable even when it boosts to 2Ghz, so it may just be a bios issue.

OP, have you tried using the cards other bios option? That card has 2 bios options Bios OC and Silent. Which one are you on and have you tried the other option.

Reactions: Wilzy
Sep 27, 2021
Maybe we just understood it differently as it sounded to me like the OP is trying a manual overclock not just stock boost settings. But after looking through the thread again that may not be the case.
sizzling is right, I didn't overclock anything, it came like this out of the box, If anything, i had to manually underclock it to make it stable.
What i meant by stock, it's the settings out of the box, and i would expect it to plug and play, not burn my personal time to figure out what's wrong with it.

Sep 27, 2021
I have the 3080 XTREME WATERFORCE 10G rev2, which has a lower stock clock and it's stable even when it boosts to 2Ghz, so it may just be a bios issue.

OP, have you tried using the cards other bios option? That card has 2 bios options Bios OC and Silent. Which one are you on and have you tried the other option.
That's a great idea.
I'm on the F70 bios..
It may sound like a stupid question - but how do i switch between them? :) I assume i have to flash the silent bios?

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2021
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.