Question Gigabyte b450 ds3h rev1.0

May 27, 2020
Hi guy so recently (May 23rd) I've built my first computer with a r5 1600af and gigabyte b450 ds3h. It was running ok and I noticed that RAM didnt run the 3200 hz it was registered at and after some digging i've read that people have pushed their 1600af to 4ghz, and AMD stated that they boost to 3.4 on their own so i set my CPU at 3.3 Ghz.

after one game of BF5 i noticed the temps were in high 80s almost pushing 90C so I was about to turn of the computer when it turned itself off and i hear a ssssh and one of the transformers started glowing red and melted off. It the one between the CASE FAN HEADER and LED Header. I'm not sure how this happened and because of quarantine. I can't get it checked out. Does anyone know what are the chases everything else got fried? And was it because i set the CPU to 3.3ghz or it was because the Mobo was bad and it fried itself? I'm really worried I invested all of my budget into building this and im not sure if i just ended up with an 800 dollar paperweight.

View: https://imgur.com/gallery/XhElkv2?s=sms&fbclid=IwAR3qHqIv7jO6M2ZUWeXFOIDQNsDMTR1KD994tqn9oxlQwCqrv1I1cYvvKNU

Last edited:
May 27, 2020
Probably not a transformer on the motherboard. Can you take a photo of the burned component.

Doubt just setting the multiplier to 3.3 would have caused that.

Did you make sure to put standoffs below the motherboard in the proper places?

Standoff were definitely in place. I placed all the standoffs into the case even some excessive ones as I was not sure which would line up with the case correctly.

here is the photo View: https://imgur.com/gallery/XhElkv2?s=sms&fbclid=IwAR3qHqIv7jO6M2ZUWeXFOIDQNsDMTR1KD994tqn9oxlQwCqrv1I1cYvvKNU

gigabyte
Standoff were definitely in place. I placed all the standoffs into the case even some excessive ones as I was not sure which would line up with the case correctly.

Contact the place you got the motherboard at or Gigabyte support and have them do an RMA for the motherboard. Do not use extra stand-offs, if they are touching the board they can cause a short, they need to be placed in the areas set aside from them on the board. If those extra stand-offs you had in the system were touching the board itself that may have been the cause of the damage.

What is the brand/model of the power supply?

May 27, 2020
gigabyte

Contact the place you got the motherboard at or Gigabyte support and have them do an RMA for the motherboard. Do not use extra stand-offs, if they are touching the board they can cause a short, they need to be placed in the areas set aside from them on the board. If those extra stand-offs you had in the system were touching the board itself that may have been the cause of the damage.

What is the brand/model of the power supply?
Corsair cv 550